Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to open the Top cowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: How to open the Top cowl Reply with quote

Guys

For those already flying or who completed construction, how do you open the top engine cowling?
Or more specifically, what do you have to do to pull out the top retaining pins of the upper cowl?

Regards
Carlos

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: How to open the Top cowl Reply with quote

If you build it to plans, you use the stock top cowl pin locking plate.

The pins have a 90 degree bend at the end, with perhaps 3/8” sticking out. These ends get locked by the plate when it is in the up position. The plate gets 1” or so long #6 screws. To lower the plate so you can remove the pins, unscrew these screws and the plate drops down. Do not remove the screws.

Now, when you get all this done I’ll tell you how to replace the standard pins with 1/8” SS pins and still make the bend along the sides of the cowl.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 10:34 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: How to open the Top cowl

Guys

For those already flying or who completed construction, how do you open the top engine cowling?
Or more specifically, what do you have to do to pull out the top retaining pins of the upper cowl?

Regards
Carlos

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: How to open the Top cowl Reply with quote

Thank you Carl

I did imagine that that would be the opening system, but I needed to confirm (just because the plans don’t say it … Whoever wrote the manual do force you to be smart! )

Now, what about your last sentence?

Carlos

De: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] Em nome de Carl Froehlich
Enviada: Sunday, January 15, 2017 3:49 PM
Para: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Assunto: RE: How to open the Top cowl

The pins have a 90 degree bend at the end, with perhaps 3/8” sticking out. These ends get locked by the plate when it is in the up position. The plate gets 1” or so long #6 screws. To lower the plate so you can remove the pins, unscrew these screws and the plate drops down. Do not remove the screws.

Now, when you get all this done I’ll tell you how to replace the standard pins with 1/8” SS pins and still make the bend along the sides of the cowl.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Guys

Regards
Carlos

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: How to open the Top cowl Reply with quote

As with most RVs, the plans call for using 3/32” pins in the 1/8” hinge material for the top cowl. This is so the pins can make the turn down the sides of the top cowl. While this works, it leaves some slack in the top cowl so when you fly, the pressure in the cowl pushes it up just enough to irritate you.

What I did on the RV-10 (not my idea, stole it from another builder) was to take 1/8” SS pins perhaps a foot longer than needed. Chuck one end up in a drill press and tapper perhaps 10” or so down to 3/32”. This is a lot harder than it sounds as SS does not like to be worked. I ended up with the drill press on its slowest speed and running a sharp rotary file in my die grinder on the pin. Then dressed up with sandpaper.

Take the pin out of the drill press and cut off the end that was in the chuck, leaving about 10” of taper. The taper ends go along the cowl sides so trim the other ends of the pins to final length.

A touch of oil when inserting the pins goes a long way as well.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 11:12 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: How to open the Top cowl

Thank you Carl

I did imagine that that would be the opening system, but I needed to confirm (just because the plans don’t say it … Whoever wrote the manual do force you to be smart! )

Now, what about your last sentence?

Carlos

De: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] Em nome de Carl Froehlich
Enviada: Sunday, January 15, 2017 3:49 PM
Para: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Assunto: RE: How to open the Top cowl

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Guys

Regards
Carlos

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: How to open the Top cowl Reply with quote

I bought socket head 10-24 set screws.  Drilled the end of the set screw and brazed it to the hinge pin.  I have a coarse brass screw for fastening in wood (don't know what it's called) that has a 10-24 thread down the middle.  It is epoxied in the front of the lower cowl so that the set screw goes through a small hole in the cowl nose and then screws into the brass thingy.  I have a threaded part that fits over the set screw and fits in my battery drill so I can turn the hinge pin as I push it in.   A piece of hex key in the drill will insert/remove the hinge pin far enough to clear the threaded insert.

[img]cid:part1.854F40CA.8B087B04(at)cfl.rr.com[/img]

On 1/15/2017 10:33 AM, Carlos Trigo wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Guys

Regards
Carlos 

COWL_HINGE_ROD_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.86 KB
 Viewed:  5139 Time(s)

COWL_HINGE_ROD_01.JPG

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: How to open the Top cowl Reply with quote

Ah so!!!    That explains the other answers you got. :-[
I used 1/4 turn fasteners. Here's a pic of the mounting strip.
[img]cid:part1.0977DC6B.BB6D0E9B(at)cfl.rr.com[/img]
On 1/15/2017 5:16 PM, Carlos Trigo wrote:

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Lynn

Although I was not referring to the side cowl to cowl hinges, but to the top cowl/fuselage upper hinges,

Thanks for the tip, anyway

Cheers
Carlos

COWL_ATTACH_02.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.24 KB
 Viewed:  5138 Time(s)

COWL_ATTACH_02.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: