Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912 Ignition Modules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrynorman(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: 912 Ignition Modules Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I've posted anything but thought I'd share with the group. I had been up north all last year working while my plane was in SC so it hadn't been flown in awhile. Before I had gone up north I had to swap out the crankcase due to crankcase fretting which cost about 5K in parts and Lockwood wanted another 5K in labor to do the task. Needless to say, I did it myself. I flew it for about 10 hours with no problem but noticed it was getting harder to start when cold. Anyway, this January I started getting the plane in shape to fly again and I couldn't get it to start at all. As it turns out, both CDI modules had gone bad. After doing some research, I found out this was a common problem for 06-08 912S engines. Same as the issue with the faulty crankcases, neither of which Rotax would warranty. They claim the high temps under the cowl may shorten the life of the modules. Mine only had 400 hours on it. The interesting thing is, Ducati used to make the modules and now Rotax does to the tune of $900 each. My understanding is that there were so many modules failing last year that people had to wait weeks on them because they couldn't supply them fast enough.
So, if you notice the engine is getting hard to start when cold, you may have the same problem. Interesting part is that if it does start, as the modules warm up, the engine will start almost every time until cold again. I was able to get the engine to start with the old modules just by heating the modules up to about 110 degrees F. The new modules do come with the soft start built in which works well.
Hope everyone is getting out there and fling a little.
Cheers,
Barry

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
esalehto(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: 912 Ignition Modules Reply with quote

Good to hear that the problem is fixed!
My friend purchased couple of weeks ago two ignition modules for his 912S however the faulty part was Stator assembly.
If some of you have urgent need for new ignition modules please let me know. FYI, you can't return those event they are never installed.
Esa
Pulsar XP

From: "barrynorman(at)comcast.net" <barrynorman(at)comcast.net>
To: pulsar-list <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:59 PM
Subject: 912 Ignition Modules

It's been a long time since I've posted anything but thought I'd share with the group. I had been up north all last year working while my plane was in SC so it hadn't been flown in awhile. Before I had gone up north I had to swap out the crankcase due to crankcase fretting which cost about 5K in parts and Lockwood wanted another 5K in labor to do the task. Needless to say, I did it myself. I flew it for about 10 hours with no problem but noticed it was getting harder to start when cold. Anyway, this January I started getting the plane in shape to fly again and I couldn't get it to start at all. As it turns out, both CDI modules had gone bad. After doing some research, I found out this was a common problem for 06-08 912S engines. Same as the issue with the faulty crankcases, neither of which Rotax would warranty. They claim the high temps under the cowl may shorten the life of the modules. Mine only had 400 hours on it. The interesting thing is, Ducati used to make the modules and now Rotax does to the tune of $900 each. My understanding is that there were so many modules failing last year that people had to wait weeks on them because they couldn't supply them fast enough.
So, if you notice the engine is getting hard to start when cold, you may have the same problem. Interesting part is that if it does start, as the modules warm up, the engine will start almost every time until cold again. I was able to get the engine to start with the old modules just by heating the modules up to about 110 degrees F. The new modules do come with the soft start built in which works well.
Cheers,
Barry

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

raythur(at)gvtc.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: 912 Ignition Modules Reply with quote

I could use one or two but I have the older 4 pin models and I'm not sure if the 912S 6 pin is compatible.
Ray

On 1/30/2017 7:20 AM, Esa Lehto wrote:

Quote:

My friend purchased couple of weeks ago two ignition modules for his 912S however the faulty part was Stator assembly.

If some of you have urgent need for new ignition modules please let me know. FYI, you can't return those event they are never installed.

Esa
Pulsar XP

From: "barrynorman(at)comcast.net" (barrynorman(at)comcast.net) <barrynorman(at)comcast.net> (barrynorman(at)comcast.net)
To: pulsar-list <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com> (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)

It's been a long time since I've posted anything but thought I'd share with the group.  I had been up north all last year working while my plane was in SC so it hadn't been flown in awhile. Before I had gone up north I had to swap out the crankcase due to crankcase fretting which cost about 5K in parts and Lockwood wanted another 5K in labor to do the task. Needless to say, I did it myself. I flew it for about 10 hours with no problem but noticed it was getting harder to start when cold. Anyway, this January I started getting the plane in shape to fly again and I couldn't get it to start at all. As it turns out, both CDI modules had gone bad. After doing some research, I found out this was a common problem for 06-08 912S engines. Same as the issue with the faulty crankcases, neither of which Rotax would warranty. They claim the high temps under the cowl may shorten the life of the modules. Mine only had 400 hours on it. The interesting thing is, Ducati used to make the modules and now Rotax does to the tune of $900 each. My understanding is that there were so many modules failing last year that people had to wait weeks on them because they couldn't supply them fast enough. 

So, if you notice the engine is getting hard to start when cold, you may have the same problem.  Interesting part is that if it does start, as the modules warm up, the engine will start almost every time until cold again. I was able to get the engine to start with the old modules just by heating the modules up to about 110 degrees F. The new modules do come with the soft start built in which works well.

Cheers,
Barry

esalehto(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: 912 Ignition Modules Reply with quote

I'll reach my friend and let you know.
Esa

To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: 912 Ignition Modules

I could use one or two but I have the older 4 pin models and I'm not sure if the 912S 6 pin is compatible.
Ray

Quote:

Esa
Pulsar XP

From: "barrynorman(at)comcast.net" (barrynorman(at)comcast.net) <barrynorman(at)comcast.net> (barrynorman(at)comcast.net)

Cheers,
Barry

barrynorman(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: 912 Ignition Modules Reply with quote

I have a couple of the older modules.
Barry
To: "pulsar-list" <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:58:08 AM
Subject: Re: 912 Ignition Modules

Ray

Quote:

Esa
Pulsar XP

Cheers,
Barry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: