Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADS-B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelgibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: ADS-B Reply with quote

Hi all,

Has anyone else taken advantage of the FAA's ADS-B incentive program? My Kitfox is based at KDVT which is within the 30 NM mode C veil of KPHX, so I was going to need ADS-B eventually anyway, and if the friendly tax-payers of the United States were willing to help pay for it, I figured I'd take it.

I installed an Appareo Stratus ESG + 2i last week. I had hoped that it would fit into the existing transponder tray but no dice. All told, it took an afternoon to build the new wiring harnesses and debug the electrical connections and about 3 hours under the panel doing the mechanical installation of the transponder, antenna and electrical hookup.

And it failed the FAA's performance test in flight.

After contacting Appareo's tech support (very quick and helpful) and the FAA's ADS-B help desk (surprisingly quick and helpful) we tracked the problem down to a bad altitude encoder. After swapping out the encoder and repositioning the GPS antenna to get a better view of the sky, I took it up again this weekend and it passed!

The best part is the ADS-B IN component, which provides traffic and weather on the iPad. The Stratus 2i (basically the same as the 2S but without a battery since it gets power from the transponder) also has an AHRS in it so the iPad can show a Primary Flight Display with synthetic vision. The Kitfox now has fancier instruments than the Turbo Arrow!

Mike G.
Kitfox Series 7
Phoenix, AZ

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
jareds(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: ADS-B Reply with quote

Mike.. what kinds of least expensive options are out there to comply..just curious. Pipeline protesters have airspace shut down here in sd with drones and arrows literally attacking aircraft but i still only need smoke signals to communicate until i go to phx to visit family. Send your contact info to jareds(at)verizon.net if you dont mind someone lookin at your work. I did spend time with merle williams on my last trip and that was incredible learning and fun

On January 31, 2017 11:28:57 AM CST, Michael Gibbs <michaelgibbs(at)cox.net> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Michael Gibbs <michaelgibbs(at)cox.net>Hi all,Has anyone else taken advantage of the FAA's ADS-B incentive program? My Kitfox is based at KDVT which is within the 30 NM mode C veil of KPHX, so I was going to need ADS-B eventually anyway, and if the friendly tax-payers of the United States were willing to help pay for it, I figured I'd take it.I installed an Appareo Stratus ESG + 2i last week. I had hoped that it would fit into the existing transponder tray but no dice. All told, it took an afternoon to build the new wiring harnesses and debug the electrical connections and about 3 hours under the panel doing the mechanical installation of the transponder, antenna and electrical hookup.And it failed the FAA's performance test in flight.After contacting Appareo's tech support (very quick and helpful) and the FAA's ADS-B help desk (surprisingly quick and helpful) we tracked the problem down to a bad altitude encoder. After swapping out the encoder and repositioning the GPS antenna to get a better view of the sky, I took it up again this weekend and it passed!The best part is the ADS-B IN component, which provides traffic and weather on the iPad. The Stratus 2i (basically the same as the 2S but without a battery since it gets power from the transponder) also has an AHRS in it so the iPad can show a Primary Flight Display with synthetic vision. The Kitfox now has fancier instruments than the Turbo Arrow!Mike G.Kitfox Series 7Phoenix, AZhttp://www.matronics.com/contribution[/url]

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: ADS-B Reply with quote

No. I will wait until the last minute. Now not only is the technology up
in the air, the politics are as well. I'll be intrigued to see how
NextGen fares when Trump's eye turns to the FAA; the whole thing may
just go away, or be radically altered.

However I did put together one of the Stratux ADS-B in systems off
Amazon, to couple with an old iPad my parents gave us. For $100 I now
have a moving map navigation system with weather and (some) traffic. I
really like the idea of having the weather, and the moving map is kind
of nice, though not really necessary. I'm using the free FltPlan Go app
and it's great for the little I require.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 600 hrs
Glider pilot, too

michaelgibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Reply with quote

Hi Jared,
I went with the Appareo because it is the least expensive one I could find, it's on the FAA's approved list for the incentive program, and I have experience with the Stratus portable ADS-B IN units which work very well with ForeFlight Mobile on the iPad. The Stratus ESG (a mode S transponder that does the "out" part) is $2,995 and the Stratus 2i (the AHRS unit does the "in" part) is an additional $500. The Stratus 2i is basically the same unit as the Stratus 2s portable but does not have an internal battery because it draws power from the transponder.
Mike G.
Kitfox Series 7
Phoenix, AZ

On Jan 31, 2017, at 11:48 AM, Jareds <jareds(at)verizon.net (jareds(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Mike.. what kinds of least expensive options are out there to comply..just curious. Pipeline protesters have airspace shut down here in sd with drones and arrows literally attacking aircraft but i still only need smoke signals to communicate until i go to phx to visit family. Send your contact info to jareds(at)verizon.net (jareds(at)verizon.net) if you dont mind someone lookin at your work. I did spend time with merle williams on my last trip and that was incredible learning and fun

On January 31, 2017 11:28:57 AM CST, Michael Gibbs <michaelgibbs(at)cox.net (michaelgibbs(at)cox.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Michael Gibbs <michaelgibbs(at)cox.net (michaelgibbs(at)cox.net)>Hi all,Has anyone else taken advantage of the FAA's ADS-B incentive program? My Kitfox is based at KDVT which is within the 30 NM mode C veil of KPHX, so I was going to need ADS-B eventually anyway, and if the friendly tax-payers of the United States were willing to help pay for it, I figured I'd take it.I installed an Appareo Stratus ESG + 2i last week. I had hoped that it would fit into the existing transponder tray but no dice. All told, it took an afternoon to build the new wiring harnesses and debug the electrical connections and about 3 hours under the panel doing the mechanical installation of the transponder, antenna and electrical hookup.And it failed the FAA's performance test in flight.After contacting Appareo's tech support (very quick and helpful) and the FAA's ADS-B help desk (surprisingly quick and helpful) we tracked the problem down to a bad altitude encoder. After swapping out the encoder and repositioning the GPS antenna to get a better view of the sky, I took it up again this weekend and it passed!The best part is the ADS-B IN component, which provides traffic and weather on the iPad. The Stratus 2i (basically the same as the 2S but without a battery since it gets power from the transponder) also has an AHRS in it so the iPad can show a Primary Flight Display with synthetic vision. The Kitfox now has fancier instruments than the Turbo Arrow!Mike G.Kitfox Series 7Phoenix, AZhttp://forums.m; http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

michaelgibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Reply with quote

The older I get the more I shy away from the bleeding edge but the technology is way past the "up in the air" stage (I assume no pun was intended Smile. The FAA is heavily invested in the technology and the ground infrastructure is completely built-out.

I suspect if the President is looking to save $$$ on airspace he'll move forward with ADS-B since it transfers a big hunk of the cost to users rather than ground-based RADAR that the FAA has to pay to maintain.

For those of us that live in congested airspace, the benefits of ADS-B IN are dramatic.

Mike G.
Kitfox Series 7
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
On Jan 31, 2017, at 12:43 PM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net> wrote:

No. I will wait until the last minute. Now not only is the technology up in the air, the politics are as well. I'll be intrigued to see how NextGen fares when Trump's eye turns to the FAA; the whole thing may just go away, or be radically altered.

However I did put together one of the Stratux ADS-B in systems off Amazon, to couple with an old iPad my parents gave us. For $100 I now have a moving map navigation system with weather and (some) traffic. I really like the idea of having the weather, and the moving map is kind of nice, though not really necessary. I'm using the free FltPlan Go app and it's great for the little I require.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Glider pilot, too
====================================

Quote:

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  649.87 KB
 Viewed:  8425 Time(s)

image1.JPG

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Reply with quote

I envy your AHRS. They're working on it for the Stratux, but it hasn't
worked out yet. I'm sure it will in time.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Glider pilot, too

Jim Shumaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: ADS-B Reply with quote

HI Guy
I've installed the Appareo ESG ADS-B transponder and 2Si because I did not like having the traffic "sometimes". Still not perfect, it does not show non-transponder equipped aircraft, sometimes planes drop out for no reason and sometimes they all drop out when the radio station gets blanked by terrain.  But still worth having and has been great when flying with friends, able to track them from any distance.
Jim Shumaker
Kitfox III rotax 912
Citabria 7GCAA

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:35 PM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net> wrote:

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)>

I envy your AHRS. They're working on it for the Stratux, but it hasn't
worked out yet. I'm sure it will in time.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 9matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronicsp; &nhttp://========================

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: