Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electronic ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Any one using Electroair or Surefly ignitions?

A search on the list shows discussions from 2007 on Electroair and of course Surfly is new. Looking for recent experience.

Thanks.

Do Not archive
Rob Kermanj

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I'm now flying the Surefly ignition.  My RV-10 is now set up with one Lightspeed plasma III and one Surefly.   I flew the first four years with dual mags. Then about 18 months ago changed one mag to lightspeed. I wanted to use the electro-air system but at the time their crankshaft sensor would not fit on my narrow deck engine because of the metal retaining bracket utilized with the crankshaft seal on this model engine. The light speed system has worked well.  Then last fall I removed the last mag and installed the Surefly.  I have about 35 hours on this setup now. It works well and I've been surprised by yet a further improvement in economy over the single electronic ignition setup. I did not expect to see a measurable difference. But I had the opportunity to do some long flights. (3 hour legs) to benchmark before and after. This is a trip I've done many times to see my daughter and I definitely have picked up a few knots and dropped a few 1/10 th of a gallon fuel burn for the exact same settings.
I used to see 167-168 knots TAS at 10k and 11.5 gph. (at) 25 LOP. The same loading and oats now yield 170 knots and 11.1 gph. Of course I added one of those TCW back up batteries to the Surefly system to make it not aircraft power dependent. They have done the same to their test airplane.

Bob NewmanTCW Technologies, LLC
610-928-3420
On Feb 3, 2017, at 5:34 AM, Rob Kermanj <flysrv10(at)gmail.com (flysrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

A search on the list shows discussions from 2007 on Electroair and of course Surfly is new. Looking for recent experience.

Thanks.

Do Not archive
Rob Kermanj

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Do you have data from the original dual mag setup to the Lightspeed only?

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I'm now flying the Surefly ignition.  My RV-10 is now set up with one Lightspeed plasma III and one Surefly.   I flew the first four years with dual mags.  Then about 18 months ago changed one mag to lightspeed.  I wanted to use the electro-air system but at the time their crankshaft sensor would not fit on my narrow deck engine because of the metal retaining bracket utilized with the crankshaft seal on this model engine.   The light speed system has worked well.  Then last fall I removed the last mag and installed the Surefly.    I have about 35 hours on this setup now.    It works well and I've been surprised by  yet a further improvement in economy over the single electronic ignition setup.  I did not expect to see a measurable difference.  But I had the opportunity to do some long flights. (3 hour legs) to benchmark before and after.  This is a trip I've done many times to see my daughter and I definitely have picked up a few knots and dropped a few 1/10 th of a gallon fuel burn for the exact same settings.  
I used to see 167-168 knots TAS at 10k and 11.5 gph. (at) 25 LOP.    The same loading and oats now yield 170 knots and 11.1 gph.     Of course I added one of those TCW back up batteries to the Surefly system to make it not aircraft power dependent.    They have done the same to their test airplane.  

[url=tel:(610)%20928-3420]610-928-3420[/url]
On Feb 3, 2017, at 5:34 AM, Rob Kermanj <flysrv10(at)gmail.com (flysrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
A search on the list shows discussions from 2007 on Electroair and of course Surfly is new.  Looking for recent experience.
Thanks.
Do Not archive

Rob Kermanj

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Yes. The same conditions with dual mags I always saw 166 knots TAS, 12.5 gph. Same LOP operation.   I have flow matched my injection restrictions to within 0.2 gph for all cylinders to go peak.
Other related info.
Engine: IO-540-e4b5 that started life carbureted and I changed to airflow performance fuel injection.
Two blade hartzell BA alum prop with PCU5000 governor.
Everything else about the engine is stock.
Fully finished interior and niceties rounding me out to a portly 1735 empty weight.

610-928-3420
On Feb 3, 2017, at 8:44 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I'm now flying the Surefly ignition. My RV-10 is now set up with one Lightspeed plasma III and one Surefly. I flew the first four years with dual mags. Then about 18 months ago changed one mag to lightspeed. I wanted to use the electro-air system but at the time their crankshaft sensor would not fit on my narrow deck engine because of the metal retaining bracket utilized with the crankshaft seal on this model engine. The light speed system has worked well. Then last fall I removed the last mag and installed the Surefly. I have about 35 hours on this setup now. It works well and I've been surprised by yet a further improvement in economy over the single electronic ignition setup. I did not expect to see a measurable difference.  But I had the opportunity to do some long flights. (3 hour legs) to benchmark before and after. This is a trip I've done many times to see my daughter and I definitely have picked up a few knots and dropped a few 1/10 th of a gallon fuel burn for the exact same settings.
I used to see 167-168 knots TAS at 10k and 11.5 gph. (at) 25 LOP. The same loading and oats now yield 170 knots and 11.1 gph. Of course I added one of those TCW back up batteries to the Surefly system to make it not aircraft power dependent.   They have done the same to their test airplane.

Quote:
Thanks.
Do Not archive

Rob Kermanj

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, that is really good information.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 7:11 AM, Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Yes.  The same conditions with dual mags I always saw 166 knots TAS, 12.5 gph.   Same LOP operation.   I have flow matched my injection restrictions to within 0.2 gph for all cylinders to go peak.   
Other related info. 
Engine:  IO-540-e4b5  that started life carbureted and I changed to airflow performance fuel injection. 
Two blade hartzell BA alum prop with PCU5000 governor. 
Everything else about the engine is stock.  
Fully finished interior and niceties rounding me out to a portly 1735 empty weight.  

On Feb 3, 2017, at 8:44 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I'm now flying the Surefly ignition.  My RV-10 is now set up with one Lightspeed plasma III and one Surefly.   I flew the first four years with dual mags.  Then about 18 months ago changed one mag to lightspeed.  I wanted to use the electro-air system but at the time their crankshaft sensor would not fit on my narrow deck engine because of the metal retaining bracket utilized with the crankshaft seal on this model engine.   The light speed system has worked well.  Then last fall I removed the last mag and installed the Surefly.    I have about 35 hours on this setup now.    It works well and I've been surprised by  yet a further improvement in economy over the single electronic ignition setup.  I did not expect to see a measurable difference.  But I had the opportunity to do some long flights. (3 hour legs) to benchmark before and after.  This is a trip I've done many times to see my daughter and I definitely have picked up a few knots and dropped a few 1/10 th of a gallon fuel burn for the exact same settings.  
I used to see 167-168 knots TAS at 10k and 11.5 gph. (at) 25 LOP.    The same loading and oats now yield 170 knots and 11.1 gph.     Of course I added one of those TCW back up batteries to the Surefly system to make it not aircraft power dependent.    They have done the same to their test airplane.  

Quote:
A search on the list shows discussions from 2007 on Electroair and of course Surfly is new.  Looking for recent experience.
Thanks.
Do Not archive

Rob Kermanj

rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Rob;
My hold out is the 15f increase in CHT one gets from the Surefly. I can not afford that increase on takeoffs where I am at 400F normally and higher in the summer.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=140964&highlight=surefly&page=3

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rob Kermanj
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 2:34 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: electronic ignition

Thanks.

Do Not archive

Rob Kermanj

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I'm not seeing any noticeable increase in cht. At high MP the system runs at 25 btdc just like the mags. At cruise running LOP, the chts are fine. Here's a pic in cruise at 11k. If you zoom in on the AFS you can see all CHTs below 324. 172knts TAS, 10.9 gph.
[img]cid:7F00759A-CB9E-4F6A-913E-A6DF3595F201[/img]

610-928-3420

On Feb 3, 2017, at 10:42 AM, P Reid <rv10flyer(at)live.com (rv10flyer(at)live.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Rob;
My hold out is the 15f increase in CHT one gets from the Surefly. I can not afford that increase on takeoffs where I am at 400F normally and higher in the summer.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=140964&highlight=surefly&page=3

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Rob Kermanj
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 2:34 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: electronic ignition

Thanks.

Do Not archive

Rob Kermanj

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.4 KB
 Viewed:  5200 Time(s)

image1.JPG

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Thanks or the link.
I would be in the same situation.

They certainly does not seem to have a good payback, if you already have a mag. I also think about being stranded on a XC flight and looking for repair or replacement. But itching to spend more $$ on the plane.

do not archive.
Rob Kermanj

Quote:
On Feb 3, 2017, at 10:42 AM, P Reid <rv10flyer(at)live.com (rv10flyer(at)live.com)> wrote:
Rob;

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Rob KermanjSent: Friday, February 03, 2017 2:34 AMTo: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: electronic ignition

Thanks.

Do Not archive

Rob Kermanj

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: