Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whirlwind Propeller RV10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

This is my first post. I have found theses pages incredibly valuable place to get information and educate myself. Some of you serial posters (TIM) have been extremely helpful without even knowing I exist.

I need to choose a propeller in the next few months. I have a Barrett Precision 540 with cold air induction, PCU governor, B&C light weight starter, alternator, and standby alternator in my garrage. It produced 288hp on the dyno. I am using Brian's (Showplanes) cowl because it fits the Barrett with cold air induction. Brian told me I needed a 15 spinner with his cowl and I can see why. I used the MATCO wheels/brakes kit they sell for the RV10 including their front axle with Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and the butyl tubes.

I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT. Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.

Any thoughts about either of these choices would be appreciated, even if you a pitching something I have not considered. I suspect there may be some issues that I have not considered. I just don't know what they might be or where to look.

Robert Jones

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

I have exactly your setup and went with the MT prop. Smooth as silk with the Barrett. The great thing about the MT is NO time limit and hasn't had an AD yet. It's also cheaper than the Hartzell three blade. Having spent a lot of time in RV10s with two and three blade props, the three blade is FAR superior in smoothness and climb rate. Maybe a "touch" slower but I'm NOT convinced that it is. A BPE with any three prop is fantastic!

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com> wrote:

This is my first post. I have found theses pages incredibly valuable place to get information and educate myself. Some of you serial posters (TIM) have been extremely helpful without even knowing I exist.

I need to choose a propeller in the next few months. I have a Barrett Precision 540 with cold air induction, PCU governor, B&C light weight starter, alternator, and standby alternator in my garrage. It produced 288hp on the dyno. I am using Brian's (Showplanes) cowl because it fits the Barrett with cold air induction. Brian told me I needed a 15 spinner with his cowl and I can see why. I used the MATCO wheels/brakes kit they sell for the RV10 including their front axle with Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and the butyl tubes.

I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT. Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.

Any thoughts about either of these choices would be appreciated, even if you a pitching something I have not considered. I suspect there may be some issues that I have not considered. I just don't know what they might be or where to look.

Robert Jones

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Danny,

you write:

Quote:
..... The great thing about the MT is NO time limit and hasn't had an AD yet.

I wonder what this is based on as Hartzell as well as MT have the 72
months or 2400 hrs as far as I know?

Cheers Werner

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Robert,

As you have investigated the WW prop, I assume you have decided the 650 hour tear down is worth the pain. I suggest you talk to current WW prop owners about the logistics of shipping these props and such.

There is a plethora of data on RV-10 props and how they perform, and the standard Hartzell BA 2 blade prop has not been surpassed for overall speed performance. There is also the obvious huge price bump for the three blade options. In short, is a reported smoother prop worth all the down side? All the weight reduction efforts you have listed would not come close to making up the speed hit.

But - to each his own. My point here is to make sure you have balanced your equations for this selection.

Carl
Nomex suit on as I suspect I'm stepping on toes.

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Robert Jones

jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Well that's what the paper work from MT said. If you are flying part 135 then there is a time limit for sure.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, at 4:23 PM, Werner Schneider <glastar(at)gmx.net> wrote:

Danny,

you write:

> ..... The great thing about the MT is NO time limit and hasn't had an AD yet.

I wonder what this is based on as Hartzell as well as MT have the 72 months or 2400 hrs as far as I know?

Cheers Werner

jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

There is virtually NO speed difference against a Barrett engine with three blade and a regular engine from Van's or where ever with a two blade. And they are very much smoother and lighter than a metal two blade. I weighed them both.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Robert,

As you have investigated the WW prop, I assume you have decided the 650 hour tear down is worth the pain. I suggest you talk to current WW prop owners about the logistics of shipping these props and such.

There is a plethora of data on RV-10 props and how they perform, and the standard Hartzell BA 2 blade prop has not been surpassed for overall speed performance. There is also the obvious huge price bump for the three blade options. In short, is a reported smoother prop worth all the down side? All the weight reduction efforts you have listed would not come close to making up the speed hit.

But - to each his own. My point here is to make sure you have balanced your equations for this selection.

Carl
Nomex suit on as I suspect I'm stepping on toes.

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> This is my first post. I have found theses pages incredibly valuable place to get information and educate myself. Some of you serial posters (TIM) have been extremely helpful without even knowing I exist.
>
> I need to choose a propeller in the next few months. I have a Barrett Precision 540 with cold air induction, PCU governor, B&C light weight starter, alternator, and standby alternator in my garrage. It produced 288hp on the dyno. I am using Brian's (Showplanes) cowl because it fits the Barrett with cold air induction. Brian told me I needed a 15 spinner with his cowl and I can see why. I used the MATCO wheels/brakes kit they sell for the RV10 including their front axle with Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and the butyl tubes.
>
> I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT. Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.
>
> Any thoughts about either of these choices would be appreciated, even if you a pitching something I have not considered. I suspect there may be some issues that I have not considered. I just don't know what they might be or where to look.
>
> Robert Jones
>
>
>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Yep - add power and the fuel to get it and you go faster.

Carl
RV-10, 188 kt TAS, 25" (at) 2500 RPM, stock IO-540 and Hartzell 2 bladed prop

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, at 8:03 PM, Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM> wrote:

There is virtually NO speed difference against a Barrett engine with three blade and a regular engine from Van's or where ever with a two blade. And they are very much smoother and lighter than a metal two blade. I weighed them both.

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> Robert,
>
> As you have investigated the WW prop, I assume you have decided the 650 hour tear down is worth the pain. I suggest you talk to current WW prop owners about the logistics of shipping these props and such.
>
> There is a plethora of data on RV-10 props and how they perform, and the standard Hartzell BA 2 blade prop has not been surpassed for overall speed performance. There is also the obvious huge price bump for the three blade options. In short, is a reported smoother prop worth all the down side? All the weight reduction efforts you have listed would not come close to making up the speed hit.
>
> But - to each his own. My point here is to make sure you have balanced your equations for this selection.
>
> Carl
> Nomex suit on as I suspect I'm stepping on toes.
>
>> On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> This is my first post. I have found theses pages incredibly valuable place to get information and educate myself. Some of you serial posters (TIM) have been extremely helpful without even knowing I exist.
>>
>> I need to choose a propeller in the next few months. I have a Barrett Precision 540 with cold air induction, PCU governor, B&C light weight starter, alternator, and standby alternator in my garrage. It produced 288hp on the dyno. I am using Brian's (Showplanes) cowl because it fits the Barrett with cold air induction. Brian told me I needed a 15 spinner with his cowl and I can see why. I used the MATCO wheels/brakes kit they sell for the RV10 including their front axle with Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and the butyl tubes.
>>
>> I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT. Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.
>>
>> Any thoughts about either of these choices would be appreciated, even if you a pitching something I have not considered. I suspect there may be some issues that I have not considered. I just don't know what they might be or where to look.
>>
>> Robert Jones
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Something isn't stock about your speed. You are 5 mph above Van's stated max speed at light weight, and 15 above their stated 75% cruise speed at light wt. I don't know whether your speed is a 3/4 course GPS speed, EFIS calculated speed or something else.

Don't have precise charts with me at moment, but I think 25 sq is a bit above 75%
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>

Carl

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 8:03 PM, Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM (jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)msn.com (jdriggs49(at)msn.com)>
>
> There is virtually NO speed difference against a Barrett engine with three blade and a regular engine from Van's or where ever with a two blade. And they are very much smoother and lighter than a metal two blade. I weighed them both.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>
>>
>> Robert,
>>
>> As you have investigated the WW prop, I assume you have decided the 650 hour tear down is worth the pain.  I suggest you talk to current WW prop owners about the logistics of shipping these props and such.
>>
>> There is a plethora of data on RV-10 props and how they perform, and the standard Hartzell BA 2 blade prop has not been surpassed for overall speed performance.  There is also the obvious huge price bump for the three blade options.  In short, is a reported smoother prop worth all the down side?  All the weight reduction efforts you have listed would not come close to making up the speed hit.
>>
>> But - to each his own.  My point here is to make sure you have balanced your equations for this selection.
>>
>> Carl
>> Nomex suit on as I suspect I'm stepping on toes.
>>
>>> On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>>>
>>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)>
>>>
>>> This is my first post. I have found theses pages incredibly valuable place to get information and educate myself.  Some of you serial posters (TIM) have been extremely helpful without even knowing I exist.
>>>
>>> I need to choose a propeller in the next few months. I have a Barrett Precision 540 with cold air induction, PCU governor, B&C light weight starter, alternator, and standby alternator in my garrage. It produced 288hp on the dyno.  I am using Brian's (Showplanes) cowl because it fits the Barrett with cold air induction. Brian told me I needed a 15 spinner with his cowl and I can see why. I used the MATCO wheels/brakes kit they sell for the RV10 including their front axle with Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and the butyl tubes.
>>>
>>> I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT.  Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts about either of these choices would be appreciated, even if you a pitching something I have not considered. I suspect there may be some issues that I have not considered.  I just don't know what they might be or where to look.
>>>
>>> Robert Jones
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Thanks Danny,

I guess you are aware of:

http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/sbs/sb1r1.pdf

Page 6 states:

MTV-12-B-(**)/(**)193-53 Lycoming (I)O-540-( ) 1800 hrs 72months

Cheers Werner

Quote:
On 03.02.2017 02:00, Danny Riggs wrote:
>
>
> Well that's what the paper work from MT said. If you are flying part 135 then there is a time limit for sure.
>

jdriggs49(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Nope that's news to me. Has a 2016 date on the SB. That wasn't in the paperwork I got with mine from three years ago. Some SB's are good and some are to cover their a*ses.
This looks like one of the latter. To each his own however! Thanks for the update. Danny

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 3, 2017, at 12:58 AM, Werner Schneider <glastar(at)gmx.net> wrote:

Thanks Danny,

I guess you are aware of:

http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/sbs/sb1r1.pdf

Page 6 states:

MTV-12-B-(**)/(**)193-53 Lycoming (I)O-540-( ) 1800 hrs 72months

Cheers Werner

>> On 03.02.2017 02:00, Danny Riggs wrote:
>>
>>
>> Well that's what the paper work from MT said. If you are flying part 135 then there is a time limit for sure.
>>

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

One other consideration for the MT is whether or not you are running a non-certified ignition system. MT does not warranty their propellers if the engine is using a non-certified ignition. I am guessing that is not an issue with Whirlwind, but is worth checking.

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Kelly,

The plane has a stock engine and prop (other than injectors changed as needed to balance the cylinders), and still flying with these !#&$ mags as I wait for the six cylinder pMag.  I tried to keep the plane light (1659 pounds empty after a relatively heavy basecoat/clearcoat paint job).  I also spend a bunch of hours on rigging.  To be fair, the top speed run was done solo at 6500’ with half tanks and the engine ROP.  Airframe modifications include:
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>James cowl and plenum
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>James wheel pants
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Modified air box
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Extra shim under the HS forward spar (not really sure if this does much but the elevators seem to me more in trail with the shim)
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Not yet done is to put the damns back in front of #1 and #2 cylinders, but much shorter than what I started with

The plane was set up from the start for high efficiency LOP cruise.  The downside is the reduced cooling drag requires 125-130 kt climb speed to keep the jugs cool, so no pointing the nose up and hanging on the prop.  The attached screen shot is a typical cross country set up.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 9:58 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Whirlwind Propeller RV10

Something isn't stock about your speed. You are 5 mph above Van's stated max speed at light weight, and 15 above their stated 75% cruise speed at light wt. I don't know whether your speed is a 3/4 course GPS speed, EFIS calculated speed or something else.

Don't have precise charts with me at moment, but I think 25 sq is a bit above 75%

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>

Carl

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, at 8:03 PM, Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM (jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM)> wrote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)msn.com (jdriggs49(at)msn.com)>

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>
>
> Robert,
>
> As you have investigated the WW prop, I assume you have decided the 650 hour tear down is worth the pain. I suggest you talk to current WW prop owners about the logistics of shipping these props and such.
>
> There is a plethora of data on RV-10 props and how they perform, and the standard Hartzell BA 2 blade prop has not been surpassed for overall speed performance. There is also the obvious huge price bump for the three blade options. In short, is a reported smoother prop worth all the down side? All the weight reduction efforts you have listed would not come close to making up the speed hit.
>
> But - to each his own. My point here is to make sure you have balanced your equations for this selection.
>
> Carl
>
>> On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)>
>>
>> This is my first post. I have found theses pages incredibly valuable place to get information and educate myself. Some of you serial posters (TIM) have been extremely helpful without even knowing I exist.
>>
>> I need to choose a propeller in the next few months. I have a Barrett Precision 540 with cold air induction, PCU governor, B&C light weight starter, alternator, and standby alternator in my garrage. It produced 288hp on the dyno. I am using Brian's (Showplanes) cowl because it fits the Barrett with cold air induction. Brian told me I needed a 15 spinner with his cowl and I can see why. I used the MATCO wheels/brakes kit they sell for the RV10 including their front axle with Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and the butyl tubes.
>>
>> I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT. Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.
>>
>> Any thoughts about either of these choices would be appreciated, even if you a pitching something I have not considered. I suspect there may be some issues that I have not considered. I just don't know what they might be or where to look.
>>
>> Robert Jones
>>
>>
>>
>

-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -

screenshot-N7ZK-SN03684-14.2.1.3698-20160616-171658-185-en_US.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  553.78 KB
 Viewed:  12608 Time(s)

screenshot-N7ZK-SN03684-14.2.1.3698-20160616-171658-185-en_US.PNG

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

So far, I don't recall any replies addressing the Whirlwind prop. I was disappointed when I went to the Whirlwind website and couldn't find any information on a prop for the IO-540, in fact nothing except for 4 cyl and radial engines.  While I'm sure the discussion of Hartzell 2 blade vs MT 3 blade is helpful, getting details about the Whirlwind would be better. I see that their standard RV-10 prop is an 80" 2 blade, and they also offer a 3 blade. I see the warranty is better on the 2 blade.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)>

I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT.  Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Carl,

Thanks for the detail. I can only guess that your cowl and wheel pants are part of the difference. I too am using mags, but the more stout Bendix 1200 series, which so far have been flawless. I am convinced that aerodynamic clean-up does a lot more for speed than adding power. I was guessing your top speed had to be somewhere near 6500-7500 ft. You have certainly bested the factory numbers.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Kelly,

The plane has a stock engine and prop (other than injectors changed as needed to balance the cylinders), and still flying with these !#&$ mags as I wait for the six cylinder pMag.  I tried to keep the plane light (1659 pounds empty after a relatively heavy basecoat/clearcoat paint job).  I also spend a bunch of hours on rigging.  To be fair, the top speed run was done solo at 6500’ with half tanks and the engine ROP.  Airframe modifications include:
·         James cowl and plenum
·         James wheel pants
·         Modified air box
·         Extra shim under the HS forward spar (not really sure if this does much but the elevators seem to me more in trail with the shim)
·         Not yet done is to put the damns back in front of #1 and #2 cylinders, but much shorter than what I started with

The plane was set up from the start for high efficiency LOP cruise.  The downside is the reduced cooling drag requires 125-130 kt climb speed to keep the jugs cool, so no pointing the nose up and hanging on the prop.  The attached screen shot is a typical cross country set up.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 9:58 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Carl

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, at 8:03 PM, Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM (jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM)> wrote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)msn.com (jdriggs49(at)msn.com)>

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>
>
> Robert,
>
> As you have investigated the WW prop, I assume you have decided the 650 hour tear down is worth the pain.  I suggest you talk to current WW prop owners about the logistics of shipping these props and such.
>
> There is a plethora of data on RV-10 props and how they perform, and the standard Hartzell BA 2 blade prop has not been surpassed for overall speed performance.  There is also the obvious huge price bump for the three blade options.  In short, is a reported smoother prop worth all the down side?  All the weight reduction efforts you have listed would not come close to making up the speed hit.
>
> But - to each his own.  My point here is to make sure you have balanced your equations for this selection.
>
> Carl
>
>> On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)>
>>
>> This is my first post. I have found theses pages incredibly valuable place to get information and educate myself.  Some of you serial posters (TIM) have been extremely helpful without even knowing I exist.
>>
>> I need to choose a propeller in the next few months. I have a Barrett Precision 540 with cold air induction, PCU governor, B&C light weight starter, alternator, and standby alternator in my garrage. It produced 288hp on the dyno.  I am using Brian's (Showplanes) cowl because it fits the Barrett with cold air induction. Brian told me I needed a 15 spinner with his cowl and I can see why. I used the MATCO wheels/brakes kit they sell for the RV10 including their front axle with Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and the butyl tubes.
>>
>> I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT.  Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.
>>
>> Any thoughts about either of these choices would be appreciated, even if you a pitching something I have not considered. I suspect there may be some issues that I have not considered.  I just don't know what they might be or where to look.
>>
>> Robert Jones
>>
>>
>>
>

FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Try this link: http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/rvseries.asp

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 10:21 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com

So far, I don't recall any replies addressing the Whirlwind prop. I was disappointed when I went to the Whirlwind website and couldn't find any information on a prop for the IO-540, in fact nothing except for 4 cyl and radial engines. While I'm sure the discussion of Hartzell 2 blade vs MT 3 blade is helpful, getting details about the Whirlwind would be better. I see that their standard RV-10 prop is an 80" 2 blade, and they also offer a 3 blade. I see the warranty is better on the 2 blade.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com (rjones560xl(at)gmail.com)>

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Whirlwind Propeller RV10 Reply with quote

Yes, I found it....curious why there are different sites for ground adjustable series and constant speed.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Try this link: http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/rvseries.asp

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 10:21 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

So far, I don't recall any replies addressing the Whirlwind prop. I was disappointed when I went to the Whirlwind website and couldn't find any information on a prop for the IO-540, in fact nothing except for 4 cyl and radial engines.  While I'm sure the discussion of Hartzell 2 blade vs MT 3 blade is helpful, getting details about the Whirlwind would be better. I see that their standard RV-10 prop is an 80" 2 blade, and they also offer a 3 blade. I see the warranty is better on the 2 blade.

I am thinking about using the RV10 propeller from Whirlwind and their 200/400 Rocket spinner. It is very light and I would like to move the battery forward if possible even if I have to buy a lithium/iron battery to keep the weight down. I know the Whirlwind is expensive. I am willing to pay for it if it is a good performer and it is reliable. I should probably look at the TBO and AD situation for the current model. I just want to know if anyone has already had any experience with it, good or bad. The Hartzel a lot of you chose is the only other one I am considering, and yes I looked at the MT.  Three bladed props are a little smoother and have more ground clearance. They are likely just a little slower and make getting the bottom cowl off more difficult.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: