Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A lot of advice and perhaps a little help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff(at)westcottpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

On November 30th I was entering the company IRA deposit... 5 pairs of numbers... something that should take me a couple of minutes at most. But, on that day, there seemed to be a strong glare in my office and I couldn't make out the numbers. I twisted the paper, moved it around in my field of vision... tried just one eye, then the other. 15 minutes later the work was done and whatever problem I was having with my vision seemed to have resolved itself. I went and got a big glass of water thinking that I might be dehydrated.

The next day, I noticed a similar vision problem. It didn't last as long and I wasn't doing work that it interfered with... but it worried me a little. Later that afternoon I met with a customer in my office to discuss some new projects. He's a smart guy. He'd ask a question. I'd start in to the answer and before I could finish the sentence I could see that he was moving on to the next question... and I was having a progressively harder time actually finishing the sentences. Words were slightly out of order. I'd back up to get it right and the words kept coming out a little wrong. He didn't seem to notice. We finished our meeting and said our goodbyes. I immediately went to my office manager to tell her that something was wrong with me. She, with all the love and understanding of someone who has worked for me for almost 25 years said "well, don't tell me... tell you doctor... dork."

So, the next morning I called my doctor on my way in to work. I pulled off to the side of the road as the nurse was getting the doctor to the phone. I explained to him what had happened the past couple of days. He said "I'd like you turn around and drive straight to the ER and get an MRI. This is the kind of stuff we don't mess with." So, that's what I did.

By noon the MRI was complete and the results were back. I had two brain tumors. One rather small and one the size of a lemon. Something about the nature of the tumors indicated that they didn't start in the brain. So, a scan or two later it was determined that I have stage 4 lung cancer (never smoked). My GP came to the hospital and explained that this was the worst time of the week to discover something like this. We wanted to assemble the "A" team and the "A" team didn't work the weekends." So, I was released from the ER into the care of my wife with a few strong prescriptions and a few days to imagine all that might be before me.

On Monday, as my GP was assembling his "A" team my parents were assembling theirs. Unbeknownst to me, good friends of theirs had just endowed the Chair of Oncology at The City of Hope. By Tuesday I was in the care of some of the very best doctors in the world. By the following Tuesday the large tumor was surgically removed and I was, somehow, still able to walk and talk... but not drive and certainly not fly.

My prognosis, now, is "up in the air" so to speak. I've finished radiation therapy which finished off anything that might have remained of the large tumor and zapped the small one. I'm lucky, if you can call anything about this "lucky" to have certain biomarkers in my cancer that make it treatable with targeted therapy... which has the potential to make this a chronically managed disease as opposed to a death sentence. While targeted therapy drugs are a godsend... giving me a shot at watching my kids grow up... they are not allowed by the FAA. I'm going to have to sell my RV-10. That's where I need your advice and, perhaps a little help.

N410CF has the following squawks. In my current condition I am unable to address most of them without help. That being said, what should I make sure is taken care of before putting the plane on the market?

The plane is not painted

It is out of annual (would love a checklist for the annual)

POH is incomplete

Wheel pants and fairings are fit and finished except for the upper intersection fairings

The parking brake valve leaks

The back up battery fuse has blown twice now

The 1042G wire covers are not finish painted to match the interior

Door locks are not installed

AOA is not calibrated

Needs a rudder trim tab

An aileron trim tab wouldn't hurt

1 weeping rivet
I'd like to thank you all for the camaraderie over the 11 plus years it took me to build it. It certainly would have been nice to be part of the flying community a bit longer but I don't regret a minute of the 4,874 hours I spent building it.

Jeff Carpenter
N410CF

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

Jeff;
Really glad it was found and steps are being taken.
I can help with some of these items. Maybe I should fly out and see if we can get that list minimized. The parking brake leak I think was resolved by Matco in one of there kits, if so we should be able to fix that, the Annual and POH is easily available and we can make the proper "specific" updates to reflect your plane.
Get well and when you're ready we'll take care of the squawk list. Piece of cake!
Pascal

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

I'm so glad you caught it in time.  I'm proud to have been a small part of your build over the years.  I'd be happy to help out.
I'm off work every third week, so as soon as work and weather align, I'll fly down for a couple days.
Godspeed my friend.  I'll be in touch.
--Dave
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Jeff Carpenter <jeff(at)westcottpress.com (jeff(at)westcottpress.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Jeff Carpenter <jeff(at)westcottpress.com (jeff(at)westcottpress.com)>

On November 30th I was entering the company IRA deposit... 5 pairs of numbers... something that should take me a couple of minutes at most. But, on that day, there seemed to be a strong glare in my office and I couldn't make out the numbers. I twisted the paper, moved it around in my field of vision... tried just one eye, then the other. 15 minutes later the work was done and whatever problem I was having with my vision seemed to have resolved itself. I went and got a big glass of water thinking that I might be dehydrated.

The next day, I noticed a similar vision problem. It didn't last as long and I wasn't doing work that it interfered with... but it worried me a little. Later that afternoon I met with a customer in my office to discuss some new projects. He's a smart guy. He'd ask a question. I'd start in to the answer and before I could finish the sentence I could see that he was moving on to the next question... and I was having a progressively harder time actually finishing the sentences. Words were slightly out of order. I'd back up to get it right and the words kept coming out a little wrong. He didn't seem to notice. We finished our meeting and said our goodbyes. I immediately  went to my office manager to tell her that something was wrong with me. She, with all the love and understanding of someone who has worked for me for almost 25 years said "well, don't tell me... tell you doctor... dork."

So, the next morning I called my doctor on my way in to work. I pulled off to the side of the road as the nurse was getting the doctor to the phone. I explained to him what had happened the past couple of days. He said "I'd like you turn around and drive straight to the ER and get an MRI. This is the kind of stuff we don't mess with." So, that's what I did.

By noon the MRI was complete and the results were back. I had two brain tumors. One rather small and one the size of a lemon. Something about the nature of the tumors indicated that they didn't start in the brain. So, a scan or two later it was determined that I have stage 4 lung cancer (never smoked). My GP came to the hospital and explained that this was the worst time of the week to discover something like this. We wanted to assemble the "A" team and the "A" team didn't work the weekends." So, I was released from the ER into the care of my wife with a few strong prescriptions and a few days to imagine all that might be before me.

On Monday, as my GP was assembling his "A" team my parents were assembling theirs.  Unbeknownst to me, good friends of theirs had just endowed the Chair of Oncology at The City of Hope. By Tuesday I was in the care of some of the very best doctors in the world. By the following Tuesday the large tumor was surgically removed and I was, somehow, still able to walk and talk... but not drive and certainly not fly.

My prognosis, now, is "up in the air" so to speak. I've finished radiation therapy which finished off anything that might have remained of the large tumor and zapped the small one. I'm lucky, if you can call anything about this "lucky" to have certain biomarkers in my cancer that make it treatable with targeted therapy... which has the potential to make this a chronically managed disease as opposed to a death sentence. While targeted therapy drugs are a godsend... giving me a shot at watching my kids grow up... they are not allowed by the FAA. I'm going to have to sell my RV-10. That's where I need your advice and, perhaps a little help.

N410CF has the following squawks. In my current condition I am unable to address most of them without help. That being said, what should I make sure is taken care of before putting the plane on the market?

The plane is not painted

POH is incomplete

Wheel pants and fairings are fit and finished except for the upper intersection fairings

AOA is not calibrated

Needs a rudder trim tab

1 weeping rivet

I'd like to thank you all for the camaraderie over the 11 plus years it took me to build it. It certainly would have been nice to be part of the flying community a bit longer but I don't regret a minute of the 4,874 hours I spent building it.

Jeff Carpenter
N410CF

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

Sad news Jeff. Possible physical problems that go unnoticed until too
late scare the crap out of me. You hang in there .....

If I were in your shoes would add up the $$ I have invested in the
project as a starting point. This is the actual value of your project.
Now you can start adding some $$ for 'desireability'. If there were
RV-10s for sale when I started my kit, I would have seriously thought
about paying the price knowing what I know now. Somewhere between your
actual value and what a comparable -10 is selling (not asking) for is a
good asking price. Those 4,874 enjoyable hours spent so far will be a
gift to the buyer and shouldn't be a factor in coming to a asking price.
Depending on your health (mental and physical) you might want to address
the squawks yourself .... even up to painting a base color .... as this
will add value far above actual cost of completion. Might be good
therapy, I don't know.
Keep us posted ..... we do care.
Linn
On 2/8/2017 11:43 PM, Jeff Carpenter wrote:
Quote:

The next day, I noticed a similar vision problem. It didn't last as long and I wasn't doing work that it interfered with... but it worried me a little. Later that afternoon I met with a customer in my office to discuss some new projects. He's a smart guy. He'd ask a question. I'd start in to the answer and before I could finish the sentence I could see that he was moving on to the next question... and I was having a progressively harder time actually finishing the sentences. Words were slightly out of order. I'd back up to get it right and the words kept coming out a little wrong. He didn't seem to notice. We finished our meeting and said our goodbyes. I immediately went to my office manager to tell her that something was wrong with me. She, with all the love and understanding of someone who has worked for me for almost 25 years said "well, don't tell me... tell you doctor... dork."

On Monday, as my GP was assembling his "A" team my parents were assembling theirs. Unbeknownst to me, good friends of theirs had just endowed the Chair of Oncology at The City of Hope. By Tuesday I was in the care of some of the very best doctors in the world. By the following Tuesday the large tumor was surgically removed and I was, somehow, still able to walk and talk... but not drive and certainly not fly.

The plane is not painted

POH is incomplete

AOA is not calibrated

Needs a rudder trim tab

1 weeping rivet

Jeff Carpenter
N410CF

jeff(at)westcottpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

Thank you so much Pascal... it means a lot to me... I'll keep you posted.

On Feb 8, 2017, at 9:15 PM, P Reid wrote:

[quote]

Jeff;
Really glad it was found and steps are being taken.
I can help with some of these items. Maybe I should fly out and see if we can get that list minimized. The parking brake leak I think was resolved by Matco in one of there kits, if so we should be able to fix that, the Annual and POH is easily available and we can make the proper "specific" updates to reflect your plane.
Get well and when you're ready we'll take care of the squawk list. Piece of cake!
Pascal

--

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

Jeff

My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

God bless.

Warm regards

Patrick

Quote:
On 9 Feb 2017, at 23:32, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

Sad news Jeff. Possible physical problems that go unnoticed until too late scare the crap out of me. You hang in there .....

If I were in your shoes would add up the $$ I have invested in the project as a starting point. This is the actual value of your project. Now you can start adding some $$ for 'desireability'. If there were RV-10s for sale when I started my kit, I would have seriously thought about paying the price knowing what I know now. Somewhere between your actual value and what a comparable -10 is selling (not asking) for is a good asking price. Those 4,874 enjoyable hours spent so far will be a gift to the buyer and shouldn't be a factor in coming to a asking price.
Depending on your health (mental and physical) you might want to address the squawks yourself .... even up to painting a base color .... as this will add value far above actual cost of completion. Might be good therapy, I don't know.
Keep us posted ..... we do care.
Linn

> On 2/8/2017 11:43 PM, Jeff Carpenter wrote:
>
>
> On November 30th I was entering the company IRA deposit... 5 pairs of numbers... something that should take me a couple of minutes at most. But, on that day, there seemed to be a strong glare in my office and I couldn't make out the numbers. I twisted the paper, moved it around in my field of vision... tried just one eye, then the other. 15 minutes later the work was done and whatever problem I was having with my vision seemed to have resolved itself. I went and got a big glass of water thinking that I might be dehydrated.
>
> The next day, I noticed a similar vision problem. It didn't last as long and I wasn't doing work that it interfered with... but it worried me a little. Later that afternoon I met with a customer in my office to discuss some new projects. He's a smart guy. He'd ask a question. I'd start in to the answer and before I could finish the sentence I could see that he was moving on to the next question... and I was having a progressively harder time actually finishing the sentences. Words were slightly out of order. I'd back up to get it right and the words kept coming out a little wrong. He didn't seem to notice. We finished our meeting and said our goodbyes. I immediately went to my office manager to tell her that something was wrong with me. She, with all the love and understanding of someone who has worked for me for almost 25 years said "well, don't tell me... tell you doctor... dork."
>
> So, the next morning I called my doctor on my way in to work. I pulled off to the side of the road as the nurse was getting the doctor to the phone. I explained to him what had happened the past couple of days. He said "I'd like you turn around and drive straight to the ER and get an MRI. This is the kind of stuff we don't mess with." So, that's what I did.
>
> By noon the MRI was complete and the results were back. I had two brain tumors. One rather small and one the size of a lemon. Something about the nature of the tumors indicated that they didn't start in the brain. So, a scan or two later it was determined that I have stage 4 lung cancer (never smoked). My GP came to the hospital and explained that this was the worst time of the week to discover something like this. We wanted to assemble the "A" team and the "A" team didn't work the weekends." So, I was released from the ER into the care of my wife with a few strong prescriptions and a few days to imagine all that might be before me.
>
> On Monday, as my GP was assembling his "A" team my parents were assembling theirs. Unbeknownst to me, good friends of theirs had just endowed the Chair of Oncology at The City of Hope. By Tuesday I was in the care of some of the very best doctors in the world. By the following Tuesday the large tumor was surgically removed and I was, somehow, still able to walk and talk... but not drive and certainly not fly.
>
> My prognosis, now, is "up in the air" so to speak. I've finished radiation therapy which finished off anything that might have remained of the large tumor and zapped the small one. I'm lucky, if you can call anything about this "lucky" to have certain biomarkers in my cancer that make it treatable with targeted therapy... which has the potential to make this a chronically managed disease as opposed to a death sentence. While targeted therapy drugs are a godsend... giving me a shot at watching my kids grow up... they are not allowed by the FAA. I'm going to have to sell my RV-10. That's where I need your advice and, perhaps a little help.
>
> N410CF has the following squawks. In my current condition I am unable to address most of them without help. That being said, what should I make sure is taken care of before putting the plane on the market?
>
> The plane is not painted
>
> It is out of annual (would love a checklist for the annual)
>
> POH is incomplete
>
> Wheel pants and fairings are fit and finished except for the upper intersection fairings
>
> The parking brake valve leaks
>
> The back up battery fuse has blown twice now
>
> The 1042G wire covers are not finish painted to match the interior
>
> Door locks are not installed
>
> AOA is not calibrated
>
> Needs a rudder trim tab
>
> An aileron trim tab wouldn't hurt
>
> 1 weeping rivet
>
>
> I'd like to thank you all for the camaraderie over the 11 plus years it took me to build it. It certainly would have been nice to be part of the flying community a bit longer but I don't regret a minute of the 4,874 hours I spent building it.
>
> Jeff Carpenter
> N410CF
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

Jeff,

I saw your email this last week about the whole airplane and
medical situation. I'm not clear on the bottom line of
the message though. Some people replied like you beat it
all already, but from the reading I take it that you
beat the immediate threat but now have just begun the path
forward and have a chance, with no guarantees. If that's
the case then I do wish you the best. You've already been
in my prayers after reading about it, and that's about
all I can do, but I wanted you to know. I remember talking
to you at OSH, and emails over the years. You're a good
guy, and I appreciate that there are people like you.
I also appreciate that you shared your story with the list.
Heck, I don't even have a clue if I myself could potentially
have unknown medical conditions...most of us aren't aware
until there is a significant symptom. But, your story
does make me feel very good about the way I have lived my
life. I have years of suffering ahead, if I live a long
time, but it's financial suffering hopefully. Since 2003
or 2004 I've been involved in the RV community, and
in 1999 and 2001 I had my children...not much longer than
the RV scene. The choices I made...to fly places, and
enjoy time with my girls, have made a significant
negative impact on my future ability to retire and to
enjoy financial security. I spend a lot of time worrying
about that these days. But, knowing that days can be
numbered gives a person a different perspective. I've
always worried that if I didn't USE the time and enjoy
the time with my kids, and have these experiences, I would
end up being "that guy" who works hard until 65, retires,
and then has a heart attack at 66. That's definitely
not what I would feel as being as fulfilling as spending
time with your family. So I chose the latter. At this
point I've had almost too much fun and good fortune,
and I wait for the shoe to drop. Smile I'm very glad that
you were part of the RV-10 community, and you followed
your dreams of flying it, and that you had fun along
the way. It is sad to see you sell the plane, but I do
understand. I want to let you know that if you are ever
around, for OSH or if I meet up with you somewhere else,
I'll be happy to take you for a flight and let you have
some fun. I am too far away to be of much use in helping
finish the plane, but I would never deny you a flight
if it becomes possible. I'm not sure if you intend to
make it to OSH in the future, but the offer is open
anytime.

Thanks again for your note and I'll keep saying the prayers.
Tim
On 2/8/2017 10:43 PM, Jeff Carpenter wrote:
Quote:

<jeff(at)westcottpress.com>

On November 30th I was entering the company IRA deposit... 5 pairs of
numbers... something that should take me a couple of minutes at most.
But, on that day, there seemed to be a strong glare in my office and
I couldn't make out the numbers. I twisted the paper, moved it around
in my field of vision... tried just one eye, then the other. 15
minutes later the work was done and whatever problem I was having
with my vision seemed to have resolved itself. I went and got a big
glass of water thinking that I might be dehydrated.

The next day, I noticed a similar vision problem. It didn't last as
long and I wasn't doing work that it interfered with... but it
worried me a little. Later that afternoon I met with a customer in my
office to discuss some new projects. He's a smart guy. He'd ask a
question. I'd start in to the answer and before I could finish the
sentence I could see that he was moving on to the next question...
and I was having a progressively harder time actually finishing the
sentences. Words were slightly out of order. I'd back up to get it
right and the words kept coming out a little wrong. He didn't seem to
notice. We finished our meeting and said our goodbyes. I immediately
went to my office manager to tell her that something was wrong with
me. She, with all the love and understanding of someone who has
worked for me for almost 25 years said "well, don't tell me... tell
you doctor... dork."

So, the next morning I called my doctor on my way in to work. I
pulled off to the side of the road as the nurse was getting the
doctor to the phone. I explained to him what had happened the past
couple of days. He said "I'd like you turn around and drive straight
to the ER and get an MRI. This is the kind of stuff we don't mess
with." So, that's what I did.

By noon the MRI was complete and the results were back. I had two
brain tumors. One rather small and one the size of a lemon. Something
about the nature of the tumors indicated that they didn't start in
the brain. So, a scan or two later it was determined that I have
stage 4 lung cancer (never smoked). My GP came to the hospital and
explained that this was the worst time of the week to discover
something like this. We wanted to assemble the "A" team and the "A"
team didn't work the weekends." So, I was released from the ER into
the care of my wife with a few strong prescriptions and a few days to
imagine all that might be before me.

On Monday, as my GP was assembling his "A" team my parents were
assembling theirs. Unbeknownst to me, good friends of theirs had
just endowed the Chair of Oncology at The City of Hope. By Tuesday I
was in the care of some of the very best doctors in the world. By the
following Tuesday the large tumor was surgically removed and I was,
somehow, still able to walk and talk... but not drive and certainly
not fly.

My prognosis, now, is "up in the air" so to speak. I've finished
radiation therapy which finished off anything that might have
remained of the large tumor and zapped the small one. I'm lucky, if
you can call anything about this "lucky" to have certain biomarkers
in my cancer that make it treatable with targeted therapy... which
has the potential to make this a chronically managed disease as
opposed to a death sentence. While targeted therapy drugs are a
godsend... giving me a shot at watching my kids grow up... they are
not allowed by the FAA. I'm going to have to sell my RV-10. That's
where I need your advice and, perhaps a little help.

N410CF has the following squawks. In my current condition I am unable
to address most of them without help. That being said, what should I
make sure is taken care of before putting the plane on the market?

The plane is not painted

POH is incomplete

Wheel pants and fairings are fit and finished except for the upper
intersection fairings

AOA is not calibrated

Needs a rudder trim tab

1 weeping rivet
I'd like to thank you all for the camaraderie over the 11 plus years
it took me to build it. It certainly would have been nice to be part
of the flying community a bit longer but I don't regret a minute of
the 4,874 hours I spent building it.

Jeff Carpenter N410CF

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: A lot of advice and perhaps a little help Reply with quote

Hey all, looks like today I blundered and did a personal reply but replied to the list.
Sorry, Jeff, if that wasn't ok. Anyway, I guess better to have it accidentally hit the list than to never send it. Sorry.
Tim

Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, at 9:48 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

Jeff,
<snip>
Tim

> On 2/8/2017 10:43 PM, Jeff Carpenter wrote:
>
> <jeff(at)westcottpress.com>
>
>
> Jeff Carpenter N410CF
>
>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: