Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jacking the RV-10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan(at)syz.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Jacking the RV-10 Reply with quote

I'm building the wheel fairings and am at the part in the plans where I jack up the plane for alignment so the wheels are oriented as they are in flight (though they don't give specific recommendations on how to do this). I've built wing jacks, along with a socket that screws into the wing tiedown bolt holes that a well-supported bottle jack can fit into. I'm not too worried about the jack slipping out of place, and so far as I know, other RV-10 builders have jacked up their planes in this manner. But I just wanted to check before I do it that I'm not doing something stupid - the tiedown bolt hole locations are strong enough for this, aren't they? Obviously, the wings are strong enough to support the weight of the plane, but I just wanted to double check first, considering that when jacking the wings, all the force is in the one location of the tiedown bolt hole, instead of distributed more evenly along the wing as it is in flight.

Any gotchas to be aware of before I do this, other than the obvious making sure the nose wheel is well chocked first, and raising both wings simultaneously to keep things relatively level?

Also, the plans call for lateral and longitudinal levelling when fitting the fairings. When the plane sits on the ground, the level datum (door sill) is tipped a few degrees nose high - but they say to only jack up the plane until the main wheels are no more than 1/16" off the floor. I haven't done it yet, but in doing so, will that straighten out the lateral (pitch) axis sufficiently level as the weight is taken off the main gear legs? I can raise the nose wheel for lateral levelling if it's too nose low with the mains 1/16" off the floor, but if it's still nose high, the only way I could see to laterally level it would be to dig a hole for the nose gear Smile

Thanks!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois
President, Syzygy Research & Technology
Phone: 780-961-2213

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking the RV-10 Reply with quote

Fine-tune the fore-aft leveling by adding/letting out air from the nose tire.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Jacking the RV-10 Reply with quote

Nothing to worry about using the socket/bolt as a jack point. recently
did that on an RV-9. I would put a large area washer between the wing
and the socket to prevent a smiley from the socket .... since it's at an
angle to the jack. When I did my wheel pants I jacked up the mains and
used a scissor jack under the nosegear nut to level the door sill. The
1/16" isn't critical .... you just need to get the mains and the nose
wheel off the ground to simulate level flight.
Linn

On 2/22/2017 7:52 PM, Dan Charrois wrote:
Quote:

I'm building the wheel fairings and am at the part in the plans where I jack up the plane for alignment so the wheels are oriented as they are in flight (though they don't give specific recommendations on how to do this). I've built wing jacks, along with a socket that screws into the wing tiedown bolt holes that a well-supported bottle jack can fit into. I'm not too worried about the jack slipping out of place, and so far as I know, other RV-10 builders have jacked up their planes in this manner. But I just wanted to check before I do it that I'm not doing something stupid - the tiedown bolt hole locations are strong enough for this, aren't they? Obviously, the wings are strong enough to support the weight of the plane, but I just wanted to double check first, considering that when jacking the wings, all the force is in the one location of the tiedown bolt hole, instead of distributed more evenly along the wing as it is in flight.

Any gotchas to be aware of before I do this, other than the obvious making sure the nose wheel is well chocked first, and raising both wings simultaneously to keep things relatively level?

Also, the plans call for lateral and longitudinal levelling when fitting the fairings. When the plane sits on the ground, the level datum (door sill) is tipped a few degrees nose high - but they say to only jack up the plane until the main wheels are no more than 1/16" off the floor. I haven't done it yet, but in doing so, will that straighten out the lateral (pitch) axis sufficiently level as the weight is taken off the main gear legs? I can raise the nose wheel for lateral levelling if it's too nose low with the mains 1/16" off the floor, but if it's still nose high, the only way I could see to laterally level it would be to dig a hole for the nose gear Smile

Thanks!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Jacking the RV-10 Reply with quote

I jacked up the mains using jacks just inside the gear and used a
scissors jack under the nose gear to find out where level was. Used
cinder blocks and small bottle jack under the firewall (2x4 across the
fuse) to level with all three wheels off the floor and did all three
pants before putting back on the floor.
Linn

On 2/22/2017 8:18 PM, Bob Turner wrote:
Quote:

Fine-tune the fore-aft leveling by adding/letting out air from the nose tire.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466523#466523

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Jacking the RV-10 Reply with quote

See if you can't borrow a set of real aircraft jacks. You will need the plane in the air for a day or two, and you don't want to be relying on a jerry rigged jack. Carriage bolts with the round head work fine for jack points. I used the same jacks that I use to do retraction checks on my Mooney. I think you will be surprised how many aircraft owners have a set of jacks.

-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Dan Charrois <dan(at)syz.com (dan(at)syz.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Dan Charrois <dan(at)syz.com (dan(at)syz.com)>

I'm building the wheel fairings and am at the part in the plans where I jack up the plane for alignment so the wheels are oriented as they are in flight (though they don't give specific recommendations on how to do this).  I've built wing jacks, along with a socket that screws into the wing tiedown bolt holes that a well-supported bottle jack can fit into.  I'm not too worried about the jack slipping out of place, and so far as I know, other RV-10 builders have jacked up their planes in this manner.  But I just wanted to check before I do it that I'm not doing something stupid - the tiedown bolt hole locations are strong enough for this, aren't they?  Obviously, the wings are strong enough to support the weight of the plane, but I just wanted to double check first, considering that when jacking the wings, all the force is in the one location of the tiedown bolt hole, instead of distributed more evenly along the wing as it is in flight.

Also, the plans call for lateral and longitudinal levelling when fitting the fairings.  When the plane sits on the ground, the level datum (door sill) is tipped a few degrees nose high - but they say to only jack up the plane until the main wheels are no more than 1/16" off the floor.  I haven't done it yet, but in doing so, will that straighten out the lateral (pitch) axis sufficiently level as the weight is taken off the main gear legs?  I can raise the nose wheel for lateral levelling if it's too nose low with the mains 1/16" off the floor, but if it's still nose high, the only way I could see to laterally level it would be to dig a hole for the nose gear Smile

Thanks!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois
Phone: [url=tel:780-961-2213]780-961-2213[/url]

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Leeverett

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Jacking the RV-10 Reply with quote

Is that a yearly fee? From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:39:46 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Jacking the RV-10

--> RV10-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com>

I jacked up the mains using jacks just inside the gear and used a
scissors jack under the nose gear to find out where level was. Used
cinder blocks and small bottle jack under the firewall (2x4 across the
fuse) to level with all three wheels off the floor and did all three
pants before putting back on the floor.
Linn

On 2/22/2017 8:18 PM, Bob Turner wrote:
> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu>
>
> Fine-tune the fore-aft leveling by adding/letting out air from the nose tire.
>
> --------
> Bob Turner
> RV-10 QB
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466523#466523
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>
>

===========
Email Forum -
-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Jacking the RV-10 Reply with quote

Van's recommended point for jacking up the plane is the tie downs. The lift in flight is over a bigger surface, but the forces are transferred through the spar to the fuselage.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, at 7:52 PM, Dan Charrois <dan(at)syz.com> wrote:

Thanks!

Dan
---
Dan Charrois

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: