Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

second chantz chutes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankpot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Anyone used them in recent years?

I cant find anything on the internet except some 5 year old posts on a website.
Difficult to reach them via phone as well. Just wondering...

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

I think they may be belly up. I have an old 2nd Chantz in my MKIII, it uses one of the compressed nitrogen launchers which is still in the green, so I keep toting it around. I have sent the canopy off to Skydive Kentucky and had them air it out, check it and repack it a time or two.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
johngilpin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Yes, Second Chantz is back in business.He was out of business for 15 years because BRS paid him out to not produce for that time....

So John Dunham, the originator of Second Chance, is now back in business in Carson City, NV.  john(at)secondchantz.com (john(at)secondchantz.com)  Ph 775.315.0133.

Last July I took my much out-of-date Second Chantz to him and had it repacked and a new rocket motor added.  He reckoned he would have been the one who originally packed that chute 22 years ago!  Very friendly and conscientious service; I have confidence in his experience and integrity. 
JG

[quote][b]

crankpot

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Ok i talked to John dunlap and everything seems fine. I pulled the canopy from my canister to inspect it as he instructed and it looked and smelled like brand new. He says he'll inspect and test the fabric and lines for strength and if they pass will rebuild my canopy into his new system for $1495. BRS wouldnt even touch it as they claim after 24 years you must buy their new $4000 system.

Will report back later.

crankpot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Well, this is a disaster. Bottom line us John Dunlap screwed me out of $1500.
Communication was always difficult, and excuses were plentiful. But when the bank image of the cleared check showed it was cashed at a paycheck cashing store I knew I was in trouble.
As he had my money, I patiently begged him to send me my chute. Eventually a chute arrived. Poorly packed, and built with used parts. The nitrogen powered rocket quickly leaked its pressure. And now John Dunlap is no where to be found.
I've called daily for 6 weeks. Texted and emailed to no avail.

Screwed. anyone have personal information on him such as home address, family etc?

crankpot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Here is an update on the Second Chantz disaster.

I downloaded the Forms from the Carson city Nevada small claims court as I begin the process to Sue for recovery of damages. I figure the guy was dead and my best hope was getting a judgment against his estate.

Out of the blue, I get a call from a lady named Nadja Verebely. She tells me he is alive and she has been hired to clean up some of this colossal mess he has made and pledges to help. He says via her that I need to return the entire chute to him for repairs, but refuses to send any form of shipping label despite the fact he got me for $1500.

Then...all communications abruptly stop. Nadja Verebely stops responding and as has been the past, John Dunham never responds. I repeatedly texted and emailed and telephoned both. Nothing. Still screwed and back on my original mission of suing this prick.

SECOND CHANTZ CHUTES. DON'T SEND HIM ANY MONEY!
Feel free to call him and bitch him out and ask him why he wont fix my defective chute or respond to any call, or emails.

Or why he wont refund my money, or why he needs to use a check cashing store to cash a check.

secondchantz.com
Bob

wakataka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

I think the name is John Dunham, not Dunlap. He repacked a BRS canister for me about 3 years ago. The bridle was folded wrong and that prevented the cover from fitting on properly. He had tried to stick it on with slilcone. It blew off and went through the prop on the second flight. He promised a replacement cover that never came. Another friend who is very knowledgeable about BRS chutes repacked the bridle for me.

The last I saw John was about a year ago and it looked like he might be living in the old van he was traveling in, along with some very ragged female company. I hope he gets past the mid-life crisis he seemed to be going through. Meanwhile, I won't be sending him any more chutes.

Mark Twain
crankpot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Still not a word from John Dunham at Second Chantz Chutes. I know he's alive because some days his phone accepts voice mails, and other days it says the voice mailbox is full.

He's committing Mail Fraud by doing this type of business as well.

Nosbod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

This is for Crankpot.

I was wondering how you made out with John Dunham second chantz parachutes.

The reason i'm asking I have the same problem. Unfortunately I didn't find this web site until after the fact so he has my chute and my 1500.00 dollars, and he doesn't answer e-mails or phone.

I'v got in touch with Better Business Bureau in Carson City, logged a complaint against second chantz parachutes and they are looking into this matter.

Carson City Sheriffs Department won't take Fraud reports over the phone or e-mail so I will wait to hear from the BBB.

If all else fails I will be driving down to Carson City to log a Fraud Complaint with Carson City Sheriff Department.

I have also considered small claims court but I doubt he has any money if he is pulling stunts like this.

I would rather see his ass in jail.

flywithme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

I think since he has used email and is across state lines and you mailed him a check that he cashed you can involve the US Postal inspector. and they Will get his attention. i had to do this once on an Ebay fraud and it worked.

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Agreed. postal inspectors don't have a sense of humor.
do not archive

--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 2/24/17, flywithme <constrjh(at)pldi.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: second chantz chutes
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, February 24, 2017, 5:06 PM

"flywithme" <constrjh(at)pldi.net>

I think since he has used email and is across state lines
and you mailed him a check that he cashed  you can
involve the US Postal inspector. and they Will get his
attention. i had to do this once on an  Ebay fraud and
it worked.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466602#466602

Forum -
   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
List Contribution Web Site -
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.

Nosbod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. It's not just across state lines it's across country since I'm in Canada. I talked to the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and they took a report and Dunham Is now on file in Canada.

The RCMP talked to Carson City Sheriff Dept. although they wouldn't give out a whole bunch of information they did inform the RCMP that Dunham was known to them. Since the check was cashed in Carson City I will have to go to Carson City to file a complaint.

I don't have a problem with this because I have never been to Carson City so it's one more thing I can cross off my bucket list.

I will contact the US Postal Authority and talk to them to see if they can help.
The thing is it's not just the money but he also has the chute.

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

I guess anyone who is certified can repack recovery chutes? I have a
second Chantz that would work for a Firefly or Firestar 1... Sounds as
if there is nothing I can do with it...? Could fire the rocket I
guess...? Smile
I also have a BRS 5 VLS 900 that is expired.. March of 2012... Came
off of a Challenger II that I sold... Make offer... I was told that
$1600 and change would get a repack and new rocket... The newer model is
rated at 1100 lbs and cost over 5k....If it can be repacked locally,
then the cost of a rocket is on the order of 700 bucks...Herb
On 02/26/2017 08:12 AM, Nosbod wrote:
Quote:

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. It's not just across state lines it's across country since I'm in Canada. I talked to the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and they took a report and Dunham Is now on file in Canada.

The RCMP talked to Carson City Sheriff Dept. although they wouldn't give out a whole bunch of information they did inform the RCMP that Dunham was known to them. Since the check was cashed in Carson City I will have to go to Carson City to file a complaint.

I don't have a problem with this because I have never been to Carson City so it's one more thing I can cross off my bucket list.

I will contact the US Postal Authority and talk to them to see if they can help.
The thing is it's not just the money but he also has the chute.

--------
If it takes full throttle to taxi to your hanger then you probably have your wheels up. The only time you have to much gas is when you are on fire.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466661#466661

--
"Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyranny."

Aristotle

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

[quote="Herbgh(at)nctc.com"]I guess anyone who is certified can repack recovery chutes? I have a
second Chantz that would work for a Firefly or Firestar 1... Sounds as
if there is nothing I can do with it...? Could fire the rocket I
guess...? Smile
I also have a BRS 5 VLS 900 that is expired.. March of 2012... Came
off of a Challenger II that I sold... Make offer... I was told that

[quote]

A 1985 model BRS came with our Firestar wreck, but the canister was damaged. It is in firing condition, and the chute is still in it. We will be removing the chute and making our own hand deploy bag. Will post pictures and details when we get that far along.

My MKIII has one of the last 2nd Chantz chutes ever sold, a soft pack which detaches from the launch canister. Over the years I have twice sent it to Skydive Kentucky to have it fluffed and repacked. I would call ahead and make arrangements, at one time they had a guy who worked there who did that on 2nd Chantz chutes. Prices were very reasonable.

Spent an interesting morning Googling hand deployed parachutes and how to repack them, turns out there are a number of them available, as a lot of base jumpers use them. Downloaded about a half dozen repack manuals and all of them use the same general procedures. If anybody is interested I can post the manuals, they are all in .pdf format.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
roy.spangler(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Please pOST

ROY

On Sunday, February 26, 2017, Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <[url=javascript:;]thegreybaron(at)charter.net[/url]>

[quote="Herbgh(at)nctc.com"]I guess anyone who is certified can repack  recovery chutes?   I have a
second Chantz  that would work for a Firefly or Firestar 1... Sounds as
if there is nothing I can do with it...?  Could fire the rocket I
guess...? Smile

I also have a BRS 5 VLS 900 that is expired..  March  of 2012... Came
off of a Challenger II that I sold...  Make offer... I was told that

Quote:

A 1985 model BRS came with our Firestar wreck, but the canister was damaged. It is in firing condition, and the chute is still in it. We will be removing the chute and making our own hand deploy bag. Will post pictures and details when we get that far along.

My MKIII has one of the last 2nd Chantz chutes ever sold, a soft pack which detaches from the launch canister. Over the years I have twice sent it to Skydive Kentucky to have it fluffed and repacked. I would call ahead and make arrangements, at one time they had a guy who worked there who did that on 2nd Chantz chutes. Prices were very reasonable.

Spent an interesting morning Googling hand deployed parachutes and how to repack them, turns out there are a number of them available, as a lot of base jumpers use them. Downloaded about a half dozen repack manuals and all of them use the same general procedures. If anybody is interested I can post the manuals, they are all in .pdf format.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough. Being forgiven is wonderful.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466671#466671

====================================
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
FORUMS -
_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
lank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

johngilpin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

I guess I was lucky when I got my Second Chantz chute repacked and new rocket from John Dunham just when he was getting back into business in 2014. I took the chute directly to him and paid when it was ready. At that time he seemed to be straight forward and eager to get back in business.

His interesting project at that time was to design and supply a chute for a motorcycle jump across a canyon, maybe Eddie Braun across the Snake River.
Sad to hear that he's done you wrong......
Quote:

<I don't have a problem with this because I have never been
to Carson City>

Carson City is a great place to visit. Grand country all around. Sierras and Lake Tahoe to the west. Virginia City, site of the old Comstock silver mine nearby. Black Rock desert to the north.
Quote:

Quote:

JG

rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Have a buddy who jumped in the army. He was asked to help a rigger shoot film (VN War era) of a streaming canopy. They tried everything they could think of, even deployed from a shopping bag, but couldn't get a chute to fail to inflate. Finally, in desperation, they tied a chute in knots and got their film.A parachute is a hard thing to screw up. If you have a fresh pack, the lines straight, the panels flaked and a wind channel it will work.
NOW, having said that and being the victim of a parachute that almost didn't open (I'm an inch shorter and have two fused vertebra thanks to that little screw up) it is ALWAYS cheaper to have a chute inspected and packed by a certified rigger. Unless you like being in a back brace, years of back pain and all the fun that goes with both.
Rick Girard
On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

[quote="Herbgh(at)nctc.com"]I guess anyone who is certified can repack  recovery chutes?   I have a
guess...? Smile

Quote:

--------
Richard Pike
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Guess the question is: Can any certified rigger repack these ballistic chutes?  Herb

On 03/01/2017 08:49 AM, Richard Girard wrote:

[quote] Have a buddy who jumped in the army. He was asked to help a rigger shoot film (VN War era) of a streaming canopy. They tried everything they could think of, even deployed from a shopping bag, but couldn't get a chute to fail to inflate. Finally, in desperation, they tied a chute in knots and got their film. A parachute is a hard thing to screw up. If you have a fresh pack, the lines straight, the panels flaked and a wind channel it will work.
NOW, having said that and being the victim of a parachute that almost didn't open (I'm an inch shorter and have two fused vertebra thanks to that little screw up) it is ALWAYS cheaper to have a chute inspected and packed by a certified rigger. Unless you like being in a back brace, years of back pain and all the fun that goes with both.

Rick Girard

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

guess...? Smile

Quote:

--------
Richard Pike
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
FORUMS -
WIKI -
b Site -

--

--
"Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyranny."

Aristotle

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

I have a similar story....buddy of many years was parachute jumping in Indiana back in the old days...1969.... Main chute did not open.....and in his haste he forgot to cut it away before pulling reserve....now they both are tangled!!
 somehow he managed to get his body into a flying plank attitude and at some distance above the ground one or both chutes opened...  Luckily, a doctor was near and saw the accident; for he did a tracheotomy  to allow my buddy to begin to breathe.....Fred was awake ...for he remembers the words the Doctor said to the ambulance drive...."no hurry, he won't be alive when you get to the hospital"!    Fred died in 2011 at the age of 66. Smile

Loved flying his trike....for he could get from the wheel chair to the seat and handle it by himself... Herb

On 03/01/2017 08:49 AM, Richard Girard wrote:

[quote] Have a buddy who jumped in the army. He was asked to help a rigger shoot film (VN War era) of a streaming canopy. They tried everything they could think of, even deployed from a shopping bag, but couldn't get a chute to fail to inflate. Finally, in desperation, they tied a chute in knots and got their film. A parachute is a hard thing to screw up. If you have a fresh pack, the lines straight, the panels flaked and a wind channel it will work.

Rick Girard

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

guess...? Smile

Quote:

--------
Richard Pike
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

FORUMS -
WIKI -
b Site -

--

--

Aristotle

pc.king(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Part of the reason for regular inspections is that fabric sticks together over time. That lengthens the time it takes to open. While that is happening you are whistling toward the ground at an increasing rate. How much is that extra time worth in dollars saved?

Then there's the issue of insect, moisture and heat damage. Most BRS chutes live in a metal can in the sun. It heats up. That could cause synthetic fabric to become brittle. The chute lives in a hangar or trailer in an environment of temperature and humidity swings. It's sealed, right? Are you sure? Bugs find holes. Bugs make holes. When you pull that handle you want to see a perfect chute come out, don't you?

Think of a repack as an annual checkup with your MD. You do that, don't you? Then why not do the same for your chute?

Be nice to your BRS and it will be nice to you.

PCKing

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: