Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

second chantz chutes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Another similar story. A buddy jumping in NY State had both chutes tangle & stream - said ‘he knew he was dead’,coming down at about 90MPH.
Then the chutes tangled in a big maple tree!!! — he went BOING, BOING, but never touched the ground. He says his fingerprints are still
an inch deep in that tree trunk. All’s well that ends well. He jumped again the same day
Russ K
[quote]On Mar 1, 2017, at 10:19 AM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

I have a similar story....buddy of many years was parachute jumping in Indiana back in the old days...1969.... Main chute did not open.....and in his haste he forgot to cut it away before pulling reserve....now they both are tangled!!
somehow he managed to get his body into a flying plank attitude and at some distance above the ground one or both chutes opened... Luckily, a doctor was near and saw the accident; for he did a tracheotomy to allow my buddy to begin to breathe.....Fred was awake ...for he remembers the words the Doctor said to the ambulance drive...."no hurry, he won't be alive when you get to the hospital"! Fred died in 2011 at the age of 66. Smile
Loved flying his trike....for he could get from the wheel chair to the seat and handle it by himself... Herb On 03/01/2017 08:49 AM, Richard Girard wrote:
Quote:
Have a buddy who jumped in the army. He was asked to help a rigger shoot film (VN War era) of a streaming canopy. They tried everything they could think of, even deployed from a shopping bag, but couldn't get a chute to fail to inflate. Finally, in desperation, they tied a chute in knots and got their film. A parachute is a hard thing to screw up. If you have a fresh pack, the lines straight, the panels flaked and a wind channel it will work.
NOW, having said that and being the victim of a parachute that almost didn't open (I'm an inch shorter and have two fused vertebra thanks to that little screw up) it is ALWAYS cheaper to have a chute inspected and packed by a certified rigger. Unless you like being in a back brace, years of back pain and all the fun that goes with both.

Rick Girard

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> [quote="Herbgh(at)nctc.com"]I guess anyone who is certified can repack recovery chutes? I have a second Chantz that would work for a Firefly or Firestar 1... Sounds as if there is nothing I can do with it...? Could fire the rocket I guess...? Smile I also have a BRS 5 VLS 900 that is expired.. March of 2012... Came off of a Challenger II that I sold... Make offer... I was told that $1600 and change would get a repack and new rocket... The newer model is rated at 1100 lbs and cost over 5k....If it can be repacked locally, then the cost of a rocket is on the order of 700 bucks...Herb
Quote:
A 1985 model BRS came with our Firestar wreck, but the canister was damaged. It is in firing condition, and the chute is still in it. We will be removing the chute and making our own hand deploy bag. Will post pictures and details when we get that far along. My MKIII has one of the last 2nd Chantz chutes ever sold, a soft pack which detaches from the launch canister. Over the years I have twice sent it to Skydive Kentucky to have it fluffed and repacked. I would call ahead and make arrangements, at one time they had a guy who worked there who did that on 2nd Chantz chutes. Prices were very reasonable. Spent an interesting morning Googling hand deployed parachutes and how to repack them, turns out there are a number of them available, as a lot of base jumpers use them. Downloaded about a half dozen repack manuals and all of them use the same general procedures. If anybody is interested I can post the manuals, they are all in .pdf format. -------- Richard Pike Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops) Kingsport, TN 3TN0 Forgiving is tough. Being forgiven is wonderful. Read this topic online here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466671#466671 ==================================== -List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List ==================================== FORUMS - eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com ==================================== WIKI - errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com ==================================== b Site - -Matt Dralle, List Admin. rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ====================================

-- “Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx

Quote:
--
"Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyranny."

Aristotle

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Herb, as I understand it BRS uses a hydraulic press with pressures of 50K lbs/in. I doubt other repackers have such a machine.
My last repack cost me $500. My life is worth at LEAST that much.
The military chutes have a TON of research behind them. That’s why they’re so hard to
make stream. Civilian outfits, no. Don’t take chances.
Fair winds,
Russ K
[quote]On Mar 1, 2017, at 9:57 AM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

Guess the question is: Can any certified rigger repack these ballistic chutes? Herb On 03/01/2017 08:49 AM, Richard Girard wrote:
Quote:
Have a buddy who jumped in the army. He was asked to help a rigger shoot film (VN War era) of a streaming canopy. They tried everything they could think of, even deployed from a shopping bag, but couldn't get a chute to fail to inflate. Finally, in desperation, they tied a chute in knots and got their film. A parachute is a hard thing to screw up. If you have a fresh pack, the lines straight, the panels flaked and a wind channel it will work.
NOW, having said that and being the victim of a parachute that almost didn't open (I'm an inch shorter and have two fused vertebra thanks to that little screw up) it is ALWAYS cheaper to have a chute inspected and packed by a certified rigger. Unless you like being in a back brace, years of back pain and all the fun that goes with both.

Rick Girard

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Richard Pike <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> [quote="Herbgh(at)nctc.com"]I guess anyone who is certified can repack recovery chutes? I have a second Chantz that would work for a Firefly or Firestar 1... Sounds as if there is nothing I can do with it...? Could fire the rocket I guess...? Smile I also have a BRS 5 VLS 900 that is expired.. March of 2012... Came off of a Challenger II that I sold... Make offer... I was told that $1600 and change would get a repack and new rocket... The newer model is rated at 1100 lbs and cost over 5k....If it can be repacked locally, then the cost of a rocket is on the order of 700 bucks...Herb
Quote:
A 1985 model BRS came with our Firestar wreck, but the canister was damaged. It is in firing condition, and the chute is still in it. We will be removing the chute and making our own hand deploy bag. Will post pictures and details when we get that far along. My MKIII has one of the last 2nd Chantz chutes ever sold, a soft pack which detaches from the launch canister. Over the years I have twice sent it to Skydive Kentucky to have it fluffed and repacked. I would call ahead and make arrangements, at one time they had a guy who worked there who did that on 2nd Chantz chutes. Prices were very reasonable. Spent an interesting morning Googling hand deployed parachutes and how to repack them, turns out there are a number of them available, as a lot of base jumpers use them. Downloaded about a half dozen repack manuals and all of them use the same general procedures. If anybody is interested I can post the manuals, they are all in .pdf format. -------- Richard Pike Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops) Kingsport, TN 3TN0 Forgiving is tough. Being forgiven is wonderful. Read this topic online here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466671#466671 ==================================== -List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List ==================================== FORUMS - eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com ==================================== WIKI - errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com ==================================== b Site - -Matt Dralle, List Admin. rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ====================================

Quote:
--
"Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyranny."

Aristotle

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

I had heard that it took some real pressure to get it into the enclosure but I did no understand the need for that kind of pressure on all of their designs......which brings the question....why not a larger enclosure?   That be true..then the 1600 that I was quoted would be fair.  though painful... Smile 

Are you saying that the back pack chutes that glider riders use are  substandard and not safe...That was what I had in mind.  Herb

On 03/01/2017 07:11 PM, Russ Kinne wrote:

[quote] Herb, as I understand it BRS uses a hydraulic press with pressures of 50K lbs/in.  I doubt other repackers have such a machine.
The military chutes have a TON of research behind them. That’s why they’re so hard to 
Fair winds,
Russ K

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, at 9:57 AM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

Guess the question is: Can any certified rigger repack these ballistic chutes?  Herb On 03/01/2017 08:49 AM, Richard Girard wrote:
Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)> [quote="Herbgh(at)nctc.com"]I guess anyone who is certified can repack  recovery chutes?   I have a second Chantz  that would work for a Firefly or Firestar 1... Sounds as if there is nothing I can do with it...?  Could fire the rocket I guess...? Smile    I also have a BRS 5 VLS 900 that is expired..  March  of 2012... Came off of a Challenger II that I sold...  Make offer... I was told that $1600 and change would get a repack and new rocket... The newer model is rated at 1100 lbs and cost over 5k....If it can be repacked locally, then the cost of a rocket is on the order of 700 bucks...Herb
Quote:
A 1985 model BRS came with our Firestar wreck, but the canister was damaged. It is in firing condition, and the chute is still in it. We will be removing the chute and making our own hand deploy bag. Will post pictures and details when we get that far along. My MKIII has one of the last 2nd Chantz chutes ever sold, a soft pack which detaches from the launch canister. Over the years I have twice sent it to Skydive Kentucky to have it fluffed and repacked. I would call ahead and make arrangements, at one time they had a guy who worked there who did that on 2nd Chantz chutes. Prices were very reasonable. Spent an interesting morning Googling hand deployed parachutes and how to repack them, turns out there are a number of them available, as a lot of base jumpers use them. Downloaded about a half dozen repack manuals and all of them use the same general procedures. If anybody is interested I can post the manuals, they are all in .pdf format. -------- Richard Pike Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops) Kingsport, TN 3TN0 Forgiving is tough. Being forgiven is wonderful. Read this topic online here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=466671#466671 ==================================== -List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List ==================================== FORUMS - eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com ==================================== WIKI - errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com ==================================== b Site -           -Matt Dralle, List Admin. rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ====================================

-- “Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

Quote:
--

Aristotle

--

Aristotle

pc.king(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

A friend just had the chute on his Cirrus repacked. That's the one that lowers the entire plane. It cost him $14k. A repack is required every 5 years.

A guy in my class at jump school went out of the 119 with a hand out. He spun and wrapped up the main chute. Instead of catching the reserve and throwing it away from him, he just pulled the ripcord. The reserve wrapped itself around the main. The NCO on the sound system on the ground told him to prepare to make a hard landing. He bent himself into a PLF position before he reached the ground, bounced 20 feet, hopped up and began wrapping up his chutes. He was ordered lay down. The medevac Huey took him to the hospital. He had sprained every muscle in his body but didn't break a bone. There is a lot of bounce to the sand DZs at Fort Benning. There is a lot to be said for the PT you go through before your first jump.

The towers at Benning are 250' high. The cadre hooked a reserve ripcord to the lift mechanism and dropped a dummy wearing the reserve. The chute was just beginning to open when the dummy hit the ground. Any chute takes time and altitude to open. Military jumps start at 1100 feet.

There were several chute failures while I was at Jump School. The riggers took a lot of heat from a non-airborne officer. One of the riggers took a chute from the tables, stuffed it into the trash can at the end of the room, tossed the can as he stepped out of a Huey and landed safely. The whining stopped.

If you need that chute, you really want it to work the first time.

[quote] ---

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

$1600 for a repack? DID I READ THAT RIGHT!!!- that’s simply price-gpuging. Get another brand, IMHO
[quote]On Mar 1, 2017, at 8:31 PM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

I had heard that it took some real pressure to get it into the enclosure but I did no understand the need for that kind of pressure on all of their designs......which brings the question....why not a larger enclosure? That be true..then the 1600 that I was quoted would be fair. though painful... Smile
Are you saying that the back pack chutes that glider riders use are substandard and not safe...That was what I had in mind. Herb On 03/01/2017 07:11 PM, Russ Kinne wrote:
Quote:
Herb, as I understand it BRS uses a hydraulic press with pressures of 50K lbs/in. I doubt other repackers have such a machine.
Fair winds,
Russ K

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, at 9:57 AM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

Guess the question is: Can any certified rigger repack these ballistic chutes? Herb On 03/01/2017 08:49 AM, Richard Girard wrote:
Quote:

Rick Girard

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
--

Aristotle

Quote:
--

Aristotle

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

That was the quote 1600+ for a rocket and repack of my BRS 5 VLs 900....Herb

On 03/01/2017 08:15 PM, Russ Kinne wrote:

Quote:
$1600 for a repack?  DID I READ THAT RIGHT!!!- that’s simply price-gpuging. Get another brand, IMHO
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, at 8:31 PM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

I had heard that it took some real pressure to get it into the enclosure but I did no understand the need for that kind of pressure on all of their designs......which brings the question....why not a larger enclosure?   That be true..then the 1600 that I was quoted would be fair.  though painful... Smile 
   Are you saying that the back pack chutes that glider riders use are  substandard and not safe...That was what I had in mind.  Herb

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Even with a rocket, that sounds HIGH. Mebbe I’m just a stingy Scotsman? Hope not.But my life is even worth more than $1800+
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, at 9:24 PM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

That was the quote 1600+ for a rocket and repack of my BRS 5 VLs 900....Herb On 03/01/2017 08:15 PM, Russ Kinne wrote:
Quote:
$1600 for a repack? DID I READ THAT RIGHT!!!- that’s simply price-gpuging. Get another brand, IMHO
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, at 8:31 PM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

I had heard that it took some real pressure to get it into the enclosure but I did no understand the need for that kind of pressure on all of their designs......which brings the question....why not a larger enclosure? That be true..then the 1600 that I was quoted would be fair. though painful... Smile
Are you saying that the back pack chutes that glider riders use are substandard and not safe...That was what I had in mind. Herb

Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

They do not offer the 900 any more...but an 1100...at over 5k..so the 900 would be high 4k if still offered...I notice that BRS has a federal or military division..which tells me a lot...

Do not know who, other than Second Chantz is offering BRS ...?  And Second Chantz seems to be shooting themselves   or their customers..in the foot..!  Herb

On 03/01/2017 08:30 PM, Russ Kinne wrote:

Quote:
Even with a rocket, that sounds HIGH.  Mebbe I’m just a stingy Scotsman? Hope not. But my life is even  worth more than $1800+
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, at 9:24 PM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

That was the quote 1600+ for a rocket and repack of my BRS 5 VLs 900....Herb On 03/01/2017 08:15 PM, Russ Kinne wrote:
Quote:
$1600 for a repack?  DID I READ THAT RIGHT!!!- that’s simply price-gpuging. Get another brand, IMHO
Quote:

--

Aristotle

Richard31

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: second chantz chutes Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am french trike ultralight pilot and i bought an old trike with a second chantz parachute model 900 (i attach photo)

It seams to be in a good condition. I would like to expertize it but i have no documentation about it.

I come to you because i see that your community use lot of 2nd chantz chute.

Does anybody have documentation about this chute ? i am searching info about the rocket system, how does it work. How can i disassemble it. ?

I plan to open the canister to look inside if there is moisture (without removing the chute in the first step). I would like to identify the rocket PN to see if i can found something equivalent.

The rocket is in a metal tube. there is on one side a cap with 3 plastic screw and silicone seal. on the other side there is a cap without silicone seal but it seams to be fix with 3 or 4 rivet. threre is also an allen screw, don't know what is used for.

Canister is also seal with silicone seal on the 2 side. One escape side there are 3 plastic screw, on the other side only a cap sealed.

Thanks a lot for all your info that you can provide to me, with my regards from france !!

Richard

IMG_9603.PNG
 Description:
model 900 2nd chantz 1/2
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  5728 Time(s)

IMG_9603.PNG

IMG_8798.jpg
 Description:
model 900 2nd chantz 2/2
 Filesize:  79.63 KB
 Viewed:  5728 Time(s)

IMG_8798.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: