Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flares Hydraulic Filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> L29-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking76t(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Flares Hydraulic Filter Reply with quote

Two questions for anyone.
(1) Does anyone have the part number or ? for the flares that go into the tail? Still looking for all four unfired...red, white, green, and yellow. May be able to get from the Czech Republic if I know the part number. Anyone out there who has them and would like to sell, send me a price off line.
(2) I've never changed the hydraulic oil filter. I didn't see anything in the service manual about procedure for changing it. Anything special I should be aware of? How much fluid is lost when I unscrew the bottom of the filter?
For the previous post concerning finding metal in the oil filter, I was looking thru the service manual for the M701 and I happen to find a paragraph on metal in the oil filter. The manual says if metal is found, to clean the filters and continue in service. If metal is found the next time the filters are removed, to take out of service. It did not specify a time between the two filter checks but that may be in the inspection section.
Tony

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Flares Hydraulic Filter Reply with quote

Like I said, Finding them will take time. Sounds like you are in a rush. So just let me know if ufind them elsewhere.

Shipping flares; Have you any idea of the ramifications or cost of shipping “Live Ordinance” in the mail? Just a thought.
Any idea of the ramifications of importing, owning and admitting to owning, on this site, a controlled ammunition. Just thinking.
And of course they are illegal to have on the jet. They look good on your mantle above the fire place. Good conversation piece. Make some fake ones for the airplane. Just like
guys that put fake guns on.

Most hydraulic filters are metal. Just clean them both. Big and little one. Before you remove the filter, stuff many, many rags underneath the filter housing, on top of the fire bottle. MANY! And a drain pan under the jet.

Have you sent in an oil sample? That will tell you the type of metal in the filters. We found IRON twice in the sample. The test facility said don’t fly it. IRON? The bearings are steel???
The hand pump we used on the barrel was putting iron in the oil.

Send your oil sample in for testing. That is probably in your maintenance program. every 25 hours?? You need to extract oil from the fill site, not the drain. Do it within 15 minutes of shut-down while the particles are in suspension.

How often do you run the engine?
U said you are using Royco 481. Yes?
Have you ever run Exxon 2380 or an equivalent? Even just adding a quart on the road.
Unlike piston engines, jet oil is rarely changed. No combustion, no dirt. We usually just add. However, I usually change oil at the annual regardless of hours flown. Cheap insurance.
How many hours have you flown the jet since purchase?
Have you checked the exhaust pipe for wear-thru and cracks? I think I did it when I imported your airplane but I can’t remember.
How is the fuel filter and fuel sump samples looking?

Bill

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, at 15:56, Anthony Royal <skyking76t(at)verizon.net (skyking76t(at)verizon.net)> wrote:

(1) Does anyone have the part number or ? for the flares that go into the tail? Still looking for all four unfired...red, white, green, and yellow. May be able to get from the Czech Republic if I know the part number. Anyone out there who has them and would like to sell, send me a price off line.

(2) I've never changed the hydraulic oil filter. I didn't see anything in the service manual about procedure for changing it. Anything special I should be aware of? How much fluid is lost when I unscrew the bottom of the filter?

For the previous post concerning finding metal in the oil filter, I was looking thru the service manual for the M701 and I happen to find a paragraph on metal in the oil filter. The manual says if metal is found, to clean the filters and continue in service. If metal is found the next time the filters are removed, to take out of service. It did not specify a time between the two filter checks but that may be in the inspection section.

Tony

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Flares Hydraulic Filter Reply with quote

Sorry Bill.....I thought you said you had them, not could get them. I'm a little confused.....If the ramifications are that severe, I'm surprised you openly offered to supply them to me over this site, and even the seat charges.  Aren't they explosive? Aren't you putting yourself in more legal liability by offering them to me?? I'm sure there is a way. You can buy Czech flares (boxes of them) and flare guns from US stores over the internet and have them shipped to you. Already talked to the store.  Maybe not an aircraft military item but still a flare. How does Code 1 get the charges for the fire extinguisher bottles? They're explosive. Guess taking the flares out is part of the demilitarization of the aircraft? My understanding was and read there was no demilitarization required on the L29 other than the IFF and the Czechs took that out. But I guess you would know since you imported them. I was told having the gun sight and weapons panel installed was illegal too. I fly mine in airshows all the time with both and the FAA and law enforcement looks at it every time and never said a word. Weapons panel is installed, but of course there are no weapons. But the FAA said it should be installed because it has indicator lights for the aux fuel tanks and the indicator lights are a required part of the aircraft. Just what the FAA told me.
I guess I have to ask the question, if the flares are that illegal and just having them is that illegal and possibly part of the demilitarization of the aircraft, how was the aircraft sold to Rick with the flares still in it? He told me he was the one that took them out. So, it was imported with and sold with the flares?  I'll check with Code 1 on the flares since I am told they are the same as for the L39.
Sounds like the hydraulic filter is a pain. Do you have to bleed the system afterwards? Sounds like you lose a lot of fluid. Haven't had any problems so maybe I'll wait a while longer. 
Yes, oil sampling is in the maintenance program. No metal found. Clean oil and filter screens...clean fuel filter too. Only have 100 hrs SOH. Rick ran the engine every few months when he had it before i bought it. Clean engine except for a very minor oil weep from the oil pump screws.
Engine is run at least once a month, more during the summer months. It is down for 1-2 months during the winter for the condition inspection and isn't run then.
No, don't use Royco 481 anymore. Did previously. I have a full 55 gal drum of the Aeroshell 3SP and only use it. Got half a 5 gallon can of Royco 481 I will sell cheap.  My engine uses no oil. I went two years once between oil changes and never used a drop. I change oil every year and clean oil filter screens every year also. Never found anything in the screens. I took the screen stacks apart this year and cleaned each individual disk. Clean

Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Flares Hydraulic Filter Reply with quote

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, at 21:04, Anthony Royal <skyking76t(at)verizon.net (skyking76t(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Sorry Bill.....I thought you said you had them, not could get them. I'm a little confused.....If the ramifications are that severe, I'm surprised you openly offered to supply them to me over this site, and even the seat charges. Aren't they explosive? Aren't you putting yourself in more legal liability by offering them to me??

Yes I am. Finding them in my storage is what I said.
Quote:
I'm sure there is a way. You can buy Czech flares (boxes of them) and flare guns from US stores over the internet and have them shipped to you. Already talked to the store. Maybe not an aircraft military item but still a flare. How does Code 1 get the charges for the fire extinguisher bottles?

Safety requirement and required equipment. If they are in your airplane, they must be current, maintained and in the maintenance program. It is not in your program. And they are not current.
Quote:
They're explosive. Guess taking the flares out is part of the demilitarization of the aircraft? My understanding was and read there was no demilitarization required on the L29 other than the IFF and the Czechs took that out. But I guess you would know since you imported them. I was told having the gun sight and weapons panel installed was illegal too.

You were told wrong. Gun sight not illegal. Weapons panel is hooked up to nothing. The only requirement is that you must deactivate the fuel tank jettison ability.
Quote:
I fly mine in airshows all the time with both and the FAA and law enforcement looks at it every time and never said a word. Weapons panel is installed, but of course there are no weapons. But the FAA said it should be installed because it has indicator lights for the aux fuel tanks and the indicator lights are a required part of the aircraft. Just what the FAA told me.

What does the book tell you about the Green Indicator lights? I demilitarized all of the aircraft. FAA doesn’t have a clue.
Quote:

I guess I have to ask the question, if the flares are that illegal and just having them is that illegal and possibly part of the demilitarization of the aircraft, how was the aircraft sold to Rick with the flares still in it? He told me he was the one that took them out. So, it was imported with and sold with the flares? I'll check with Code 1 on the flares since I am told they are the same as for the L39.

I don’t think Rick took them out. I did.
Quote:
Sounds like the hydraulic filter is a pain. Do you have to bleed the system afterwards? Sounds like you lose a lot of fluid. Haven't had any problems so maybe I'll wait a while longer.

It’s not a matter of having problems. It’s a matter of maintaining the system in proper working order. Self bleeding. Fluid drips out slowly the entire time the filter is off. So clean quickly. Hydraulic fluid is everywhere when it starts dripping.
Many folks have found metal in the screen. Comes from the pump. Clean it well.
Quote:

Yes, oil sampling is in the maintenance program. No metal found. Clean oil and filter screens...clean fuel filter too. Only have 100 hrs SOH. Rick ran the engine every few months when he had it before i bought it. Clean engine except for a very minor oil weep from the oil pump screws.

Make sure you attach the oil report to the logs. Just in case something happens.
Quote:

Engine is run at least once a month, more during the summer months. It is down for 1-2 months during the winter for the condition inspection and isn't run then.

No, don't use Royco 481 anymore. Did previously. I have a full 55 gal drum of the Aeroshell 3SP and only use it. Got half a 5 gallon can of Royco 481 I will sell cheap.

Those two are the same. Same manufacturer. Different labels. 5 gallons, about 10 years worth.
Quote:
My engine uses no oil. I went two years once between oil changes and never used a drop. I change oil every year and clean oil filter screens every year also. Never found anything in the screens. I took the screen stacks apart this year and cleaned each individual disk. Clean.

Good plan.
Quote:

I've flown the jet roughly 60 hours since I bought it.

So you have no more money!
Quote:

Yes, I check the pipe during condition inspections. It still looks new.

It wears holes in 3 places.
Quote:

The fuel samplings have always been clean from time i bought the aircraft. I drained the main tank several times to look inside for debris and and algae formation. Clean as a whistle. Same with drop tanks. Although I did have to wash the aux tanks out before i installed them after I bought it because they were very dirty inside. I use Biobor JF biocide when I run K1 and a lubricity additive. Fuel filters have little to no debris. I have a tank I fuel from when not using Jet A and have a 2 micron particulate and 10 micron hydro filter. I changed fuel filter every year for the first couple years (remember I was hot to buy a bunch of fuel filters) but because they were always clean, I now change every two years. Probably could go longer but these filters are from the 80's and I don't trust the paper. Just took the fuel filter out today and the outer wrapper was very brittle. The filter media was still very pliable. Got 50 years worth of fuel filters and oil!

I will be selling the plane and all the support items in the next year or so. Anybody want one hell of a good plane, let me know.

Why? What support equipment do you have? Other than the tail dolly.
Quote:

Tony

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 8:39 PM, William Geipel <l129bs(at)gmail.com (l129bs(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Like I said, Finding them will take time. Sounds like you are in a rush. So just let me know if ufind them elsewhere.

Shipping flares; Have you any idea of the ramifications or cost of shipping “Live Ordinance” in the mail? Just a thought.
Any idea of the ramifications of importing, owning and admitting to owning, on this site, a controlled ammunition. Just thinking.
And of course they are illegal to have on the jet. They look good on your mantle above the fire place. Good conversation piece. Make some fake ones for the airplane. Just like

Most hydraulic filters are metal. Just clean them both. Big and little one. Before you remove the filter, stuff many, many rags underneath the filter housing, on top of the fire bottle. MANY! And a drain pan under the jet.

Have you sent in an oil sample? That will tell you the type of metal in the filters. We found IRON twice in the sample. The test facility said don’t fly it. IRON? The bearings are steel???

Send your oil sample in for testing. That is probably in your maintenance program. every 25 hours?? You need to extract oil from the fill site, not the drain. Do it within 15 minutes of shut-down while the particles are in suspension.

Have you ever run Exxon 2380 or an equivalent? Even just adding a quart on the road.
Unlike piston engines, jet oil is rarely changed. No combustion, no dirt. We usually just add. However, I usually change oil at the annual regardless of hours flown. Cheap insurance.
Have you checked the exhaust pipe for wear-thru and cracks? I think I did it when I imported your airplane but I can’t remember.

Bill

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, at 15:56, Anthony Royal <skyking76t(at)verizon.net (skyking76t(at)verizon.net)> wrote:

Tony

N777ZE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Flares Hydraulic Filter Reply with quote

I'll buy your pail of oil if the price is right Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Flares Hydraulic Filter Reply with quote

Paid $125 for the pail. Make me an offer.

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:22 AM, N777ZE <Piper72pilot(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

--> L29-List message posted by: "N777ZE" <Piper72pilot(at)hotmail.com (Piper72pilot(at)hotmail.com)>

I'll buy your pail of oil if the price is right Smile

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=467621#467621

_-= the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription,

http://www.m=================

http://wiki.matronics.com====================

http://w======

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Flares Hydraulic Filter Reply with quote

OK....it's up to you as to what you want to do. You answered the post, I made an offer. So we are both in doody. Basically they're worthless to anyone then. Send me a photo(s) of the flares and I'll make wooden ones.
How do you maintain flares?? Change on a schedule? So the seat charges are worthless too since there is no manual for the maintaining of the seat and charges (??) Understand they're not current and not in the program. They are going to be disabled from firing. I basically just want the casing to fit in the adapter and the colored end. Basically, be made a dummy. Again, up to you and it's my butt....and if the price is right.
Guess Rick told me wrong. But, he says he has them in his possession. True?
Ok on the hydraulic fluid filter
My understanding is the Royco is a turbine preservative oil. The 3SP was supposedly formulated to the exact GOSH standards required by the Czech engine manufacturer. If it's the same, why did a group of L29 owners in Texas go to Shell and have a special run of the 3SP made?
If you use K1, it's not too bad. If you use Jet A, at least at my airport where it's almost $6 a gallon, you need to take out a house loan, Why I use K1. It does empty the pockets sometimes.
Retired and moving to Central or South America. I've accumulated a lot of spare parts, tools, and yes the tail cart. Also have high pressure 3000 psi scuba compressor, hydraulic pump for a mule, adapters for the hydraulic connectors so one can use US couplers, 2 large air bottles to use in conjunction with the scuba compressor to get away from the expensive nitrogen bottles, a large box of hard to find engine hardware, gaskets, CAD plans to build a better tail cradle, new gaskets for the main fuel tank, new windshield, canopy seals.....just to name a few. Maybe the word "support" was used incorrectly.
Does anyone remove the fuel injectors to clean. Zack McNeil said to remove and put in ultrasonic cleaner to keep a good spray pattern. Would seem to damage the gaskets when removed. Are the gaskets available?

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 11:50 PM, William Geipel <l129bs(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, at 21:04, Anthony Royal <skyking76t(at)verizon.net (skyking76t(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Sorry Bill....I thought you said you had them, not could get them. I'm a little confused.....If the ramifications are that severe, I'm surprised you openly offered to supply them to me over this site, and even the seat charges. Aren't they explosive? Aren't you putting yourself in more legal liability by offering them to me??

Yes I am. Finding them in my storage is what I said.
Quote:
I'm sure there is a way. You can buy Czech flares (boxes of them) and flare guns from US stores over the internet and have them shipped to you. Already talked to the store. Maybe not an aircraft military item but still a flare. How does Code 1 get the charges for the fire extinguisher bottles?

Safety requirement and required equipment. If they are in your airplane, they must be current, maintained and in the maintenance program. It is not in your program. And they are not current.
Quote:
They're explosive. Guess taking the flares out is part of the demilitarization of the aircraft? My understanding was and read there was no demilitarization required on the L29 other than the IFF and the Czechs took that out. But I guess you would know since you imported them. I was told having the gun sight and weapons panel installed was illegal too.

You were told wrong. Gun sight not illegal. Weapons panel is hooked up to nothing. The only requirement is that you must deactivate the fuel tank jettison ability.
Quote:
I fly mine in airshows all the time with both and the FAA and law enforcement looks at it every time and never said a word. Weapons panel is installed, but of course there are no weapons. But the FAA said it should be installed because it has indicator lights for the aux fuel tanks and the indicator lights are a required part of the aircraft. Just what the FAA told me.

What does the book tell you about the Green Indicator lights? I demilitarized all of the aircraft. FAA doesn’t have a clue.
Quote:

I guess I have to ask the question, if the flares are that illegal and just having them is that illegal and possibly part of the demilitarization of the aircraft, how was the aircraft sold to Rick with the flares still in it? He told me he was the one that took them out. So, it was imported with and sold with the flares? I'll check with Code 1 on the flares since I am told they are the same as for the L39.

I don’t think Rick took them out. I did.
Quote:

It’s not a matter of having problems. It’s a matter of maintaining the system in proper working order. Self bleeding. Fluid drips out slowly the entire time the filter is off. So clean quickly. Hydraulic fluid is everywhere when it starts dripping.
Many folks have found metal in the screen. Comes from the pump. Clean it well.
Quote:

Make sure you attach the oil report to the logs. Just in case something happens.
Quote:

No, don't use Royco 481 anymore. Did previously. I have a full 55 gal drum of the Aeroshell 3SP and only use it. Got half a 5 gallon can of Royco 481 I will sell cheap.

Those two are the same. Same manufacturer. Different labels. 5 gallons, about 10 years worth.
Quote:
My engine uses no oil. I went two years once between oil changes and never used a drop. I change oil every year and clean oil filter screens every year also. Never found anything in the screens. I took the screen stacks apart this year and cleaned each individual disk. Clean.

Good plan.
Quote:

I've flown the jet roughly 60 hours since I bought it.

So you have no more money!
Quote:

Yes, I check the pipe during condition inspections. It still looks new.

It wears holes in 3 places.
Quote:

The fuel samplings have always been clean from time i bought the aircraft. I drained the main tank several times to look inside for debris and and algae formation. Clean as a whistle. Same with drop tanks. Although I did have to wash the aux tanks out before i installed them after I bought it because they were very dirty inside. I use Biobor JF biocide when I run K1 and a lubricity additive. Fuel filters have little to no debris. I have a tank I fuel from when not using Jet A and have a 2 micron particulate and 10 micron hydro filter. I changed fuel filter every year for the first couple years (remember I was hot to buy a bunch of fuel filters) but because they were always clean, I now change every two years. Probably could go longer but these filters are from the 80's and I don't trust the paper. Just took the fuel filter out today and the outer wrapper was very brittle. The filter media was still very pliable. Got 50 years worth of fuel filters and oil!

I will be selling the plane and all the support items in the next year or so. Anybody want one hell of a good plane, let me know.

Why? What support equipment do you have? Other than the tail dolly.
Quote:

Tony

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 8:39 PM, William Geipel <l129bs(at)gmail.com (l129bs(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bill

Quote:

Tony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> L29-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: