Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

headset matching to radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: headset matching to radio Reply with quote

I could use some help on headset and microphone wiring.

I just purchased a Starduster One, which is currently 1000 miles from my home. I plan to fly it home in a month or so. Before I do that, I need to get the communications worked out.

The plane has a King KY97A radio installed, with the typical 1/4 and 3/16" jacks for a headset. The owner's headset works fine, but he's keeping it and I don't own one (or not a standard one).

In my current plane, I've been using an Icom A24 with a homemade headset consisting of consumer stereo earbuds and an electret microphone salvaged from an old computer headset. This works just fine. I have also used a Comtronics helmet with the Icom radio, and it worked fine as well (aside from the Icom transmit squeal, which is a separate issue that I solved).

Anyway, my question is, will the homemade setup, which works with the Icom, work with the King or will I need some additional matching electronics? The Icom specs say 100kohm mic, 8ohm earphones, whereas the King installation manual says "Standard carbon or dynamic mic containing transistor-ized preamp. Must provide 100 mVrms into 100 ohm load," and receiver output "100 mW minimum into 500 ohms or 4 W into 4 ohms". I presume the 4 ohm is for a cabin mounted speaker and the 500 ohm is for a headset, which means I'd need an impedance matching transformer for the earbuds? As for the microphone, if it's looking for a dynamic mike with a preamp, it should work with an electret as is?

The problem is with the airplane 1000 miles away, I have to prep everything here at home, and it needs to "just work" when I pick the plane up as I won't have much time to fool around with it before departing.

Thanks for any help.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Eric Page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: headset matching to radio Reply with quote

This isn't an answer to your question, but...
Do your hearing a favor and get a proper noise-attenuating aviation headset. There are inexpensive options available if that's the issue, but *any* headset is $hundreds$ cheaper than your first set of hearing aids when you suffer hearing loss from noise exposure. This is especially critical in an open cockpit.
If you like in-ear headsets, I can heartily recommend Clarity Aloft:
https://www.clarityaloft.com/
I've been using one in commercial flying for years and I love it. It's quieter than my old David-Clark H10-80 that was upgraded with an ANR kit, and I can wear it for hours with no discomfort.
Another very similar but cheaper option is the Quiet Technologies Halo:
http://www.quiettechnologies.com/
Eric

On Feb 22, 2017, at 3:47 PM, Dana <d-m-hague(at)comcast.net (d-m-hague(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:

I just purchased a Starduster One, which is currently 1000 miles from my home. I plan to fly it home in a month or so. Before I do that, I need to get the communications worked out.

The plane has a King KY97A radio installed, with the typical 1/4 and 3/16" jacks for a headset. The owner's headset works fine, but he's keeping it and I don't own one (or not a standard one).

In my current plane, I've been using an Icom A24 with a homemade headset consisting of consumer stereo earbuds and an electret microphone salvaged from an old computer headset. This works just fine. I have also used a Comtronics helmet with the Icom radio, and it worked fine as well (aside from the Icom transmit squeal, which is a separate issue that I solved).

Anyway, my question is, will the homemade setup, which works with the Icom, work with the King or will I need some additional matching electronics? The Icom specs say 100kohm mic, 8ohm earphones, whereas the King installation manual says "Standard carbon or dynamic mic containing transistor-ized preamp. Must provide 100 mVrms into 100 ohm load," and receiver output "100 mW minimum into 500 ohms or 4 W into 4 ohms". I presume the 4 ohm is for a cabin mounted speaker and the 500 ohm is for a headset, which means I'd need an impedance matching transformer for the earbuds? As for the microphone, if it's looking for a dynamic mike with a preamp, it should work with an electret as is?

The problem is with the airplane 1000 miles away, I have to prep everything here at home, and it needs to "just work" when I pick the plane up as I won't have much time to fool around with it before departing.

Thanks for any help.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: headset matching to radio Reply with quote

I should have been more clear; I'm using noise canceling earbuds, not ordinary ones.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: headset matching to radio Reply with quote

At 05:47 PM 2/22/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Dana" <d-m-hague(at)comcast.net>

Your DIY audio rig is not legacy compatible for
aircraft. Virtually ALL off-the-shelf mic/headsets
for aircraft are electret elements fitted with
the amplifier described. Suggest you borrow a
legacy headset to get the airplane home where
your efforts to adapt the DIY system will are
easier to accomplish.

Bob . . .

Dana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: headset matching to radio Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:

Your DIY audio rig is not legacy compatible for
aircraft. Virtually ALL off-the-shelf mic/headsets
for aircraft are electret elements fitted with
the amplifier described. Suggest you borrow a
legacy headset to get the airplane home where
your efforts to adapt the DIY system will are
easier to accomplish.

That's probably what I'll do, unless I can get something together and tested here. I have a month or two.

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: headset matching to radio Reply with quote

On 2/22/2017 8:08 PM, Dana wrote:
Quote:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
> Your DIY audio rig is not legacy compatible for
> aircraft. Virtually ALL off-the-shelf mic/headsets
> for aircraft are electret elements fitted with
> the amplifier described. Suggest you borrow a
> legacy headset to get the airplane home where
> your efforts to adapt the DIY system will are
> easier to accomplish.

That's probably what I'll do, unless I can get something together and tested here. I have a month or two.
Just plug your rig into an airport neighbor's plane with the same or

similar age radio. You'll know fairly quickly if it's compatible or not.

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: headset matching to radio Reply with quote

I haven't picked up the plane yet, but I have a system I'm confident will work. On one side, an impedance matching transformer to convert the 8 ohm earphones for a receiver output expecting 300 ohms, and for the mike side, rather than working out an amplifier I bought a new replacement noise cancelling mike element from Aircraft Spruce. Wired to the appropriate connectors, I've verified they work, at least with the radio in a friend's Bonanza. Interestingly, they also work with the Icom handheld in my old plane... I guess the Icom is a lot more tolerant than the older radios.

As for the "why", I use the earbuds because they fit under a leather flying helmet. The mike is on a flexible boom that clips to my shoulder harness, much more comfortable than than being clamped around my head or over my ears.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: