Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

covering supplier?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lambdinwilliam(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: covering supplier? Reply with quote

Hey, Guys,

Just to add my 2 cents--I used the Stewart system on my second plane, after

using Polyfiber on my first. It was a joy not dealing with MEK. The glue worked

great, just be sure to wipe off the excess as you go. Two words of caution:

1-the filler/ uv block coating absorbs moisture and the finish colors "hate" water.

The "how to" videos from the company on YouTube suggest using alcohol on

the surface to get rid of finger prints before applying the color coats. I did so

and when I started spraying color, it splotched and ran like I was spraying oil

on water. I thought there must still be oil on the fabric, so I cleaned with alcohol

Even more lavishly this time. After allowing to dry(I thought). Sprayed and same

result. Called company and they told me that the surface was absorbing the

water in the alcohol. Evidently the Eco fill (uv block and fabric filler) is hydrophilic,

and the color coats hydrophobic! I had to use alcohol sparingly and dry all

surfaces with time in the sun(when available and with heaters to stop the

problem.
2-- make sure the paint is mixed to the exact viscosity and make sure your

compressed can deliver continuous sufficient pressure. I had to really work

not to get orange peel effect. My paint job looks great from 10 or 15' but up

close there are areas of silky smooth finish and areas of slight orange peel.

Good luck,

Lanny Lambdin. P.S. On YouTube is a video- search for: Miss Sunshine Walkaround,

to see the results on my plane.

Sent from my iPad

[quote] On Apr 11, 2017, at 4:33 PM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net> wrote:

I asked Malcom about this at OSH a few years back. He said the weight is almost identical. He can sure put a beautiful finish on fabric!

This is the perfect system for those who:
Want to work without the "stink"
Save money.
Have more time than I do....

Stuart

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
phcpilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: covering supplier? Reply with quote

Here are my experiences with Latex which include a re-paint over an auto finish, re-cover of a fuselage and painting a stits type covering.

The re-paint was on a fuselage which had some cracking and chipping of an older auto finish from firewall back past trailing edge of a Rans S7. I sanded and filled the crack/chip areas with poly filla (Yup) then had the hardware store do a colour match of some exterior latex paint. Actually these days it is called water based acrylic. Years ago you couldn't sand latex due to its rubbery nature. Not so these days.
The result looked great with sort of a low gloss dope type finish. I have kept in touch with the owner of the plane because even I was skeptical of how long it would last. It has been many years now and he is still happy.

In addition to acrylic paints, you should also keep clear water base urethane in mind. I recovered my homebuilt 170 fuselage (steel tube/fabric) and used clear urethane as first fill coat on the fabric and then put tapes on with it. It was great to work with. Also used the green hardware store water based contact cement for glue.

Then sprayed on gloss acylic latex for finish coats. A buddy who is a long time dope and fabric guy was amazed at how great the tape seams and fill looked. At that time the glossiest acrylic was about as dull as a dope finish but with a lot fewer coats.

Next I've done a complete S7 with acrylic using a cheap primer fill coat followed by gloss colour coats. High gloss is not an attribute of acrylic unless you want to do all that buffing but with a product from Home Hardware called Rust coat the finish is the best I've seen. Yes if you need a mirror finish be prepared to work but for a great looking dope or better than polytone, little sanding is required.

For years I followed the suggestion from one site to use an airless sprayer. This was mistake, they put out way too much paint even with the fine nozzles. An inexpensive $50 HVLP gun is just fine and with way less likelihood of runs.
Peter

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: covering supplier? Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter.

For you guys who've used latex, did you stick with the Glidden Gripper
grey primer as shown on the Wienerdog Aero site, or something else? I
can get the white primer (and other brands) locally, but will have to
order the grey.

No polishing for me; I'll be happy if the paint stays on & prevents UV
damage.

Thanks,

Charlie

On 4/12/2017 7:57 AM, phcpilot wrote:
Quote:

Here are my experiences with Latex which include a re-paint over an auto finish, re-cover of a fuselage and painting a stits type covering.

The re-paint was on a fuselage which had some cracking and chipping of an older auto finish from firewall back past trailing edge of a Rans S7. I sanded and filled the crack/chip areas with poly filla (Yup) then had the hardware store do a colour match of some exterior latex paint. Actually these days it is called water based acrylic. Years ago you couldn't sand latex due to its rubbery nature. Not so these days.
The result looked great with sort of a low gloss dope type finish. I have kept in touch with the owner of the plane because even I was skeptical of how long it would last. It has been many years now and he is still happy.

In addition to acrylic paints, you should also keep clear water base urethane in mind. I recovered my homebuilt 170 fuselage (steel tube/fabric) and used clear urethane as first fill coat on the fabric and then put tapes on with it. It was great to work with. Also used the green hardware store water based contact cement for glue.

Then sprayed on gloss acylic latex for finish coats. A buddy who is a long time dope and fabric guy was amazed at how great the tape seams and fill looked. At that time the glossiest acrylic was about as dull as a dope finish but with a lot fewer coats.

Next I've done a complete S7 with acrylic using a cheap primer fill coat followed by gloss colour coats. High gloss is not an attribute of acrylic unless you want to do all that buffing but with a product from Home Hardware called Rust coat the finish is the best I've seen. Yes if you need a mirror finish be prepared to work but for a great looking dope or better than polytone, little sanding is required.

For years I followed the suggestion from one site to use an airless sprayer. This was mistake, they put out way too much paint even with the fine nozzles. An inexpensive $50 HVLP gun is just fine and with way less likelihood of runs.
Peter

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: covering supplier? Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Has anyone verified that it's actually the same stuff? It might look, smell, feel, even taste the same, but the TDS for Fastbond reads like plain old contact cement. No mention of using heat to activate it, as described by Stewart. 
It wouldn't surprise me if it is the same stuff, but I'd like to *know* it's the same stuff.
Thanks,
Charlie

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 7:27 AM, <mojavjoe(at)comcast.net (mojavjoe(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Charlie

Another tip, buy Fastbond NF Green on Amazon, it's the same adhesive as Stewart at half the price

Joe

From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>
To: "kolb-list" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 11:53:23 PM
Subject: Re: covering supplier?
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>
Sounds like Spruce is the go-to place, then.
My fabric guy (yeah, I've got a fabric guy) is willing to try Stewart
System glue, so I think we'll give that a shot. That plus Wienerdog
Aero's Latex painting technique, & we should be good to go. Smile
Charlie
On 4/10/2017 9:15 PM, Hoppy wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Hoppy <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)>

Haven't checked in a while..but think A/C spruce can ship Poly Fiber
chemicals with no haz material charge...? Herb
On 04/10/2017 09:10 PM, Hoppy wrote:
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: Hoppy <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)>
>
> Yep..Peel ply... around 5 bucks a yard...1.7 or 2.6. Herb
> On 04/10/2017 06:45 PM, Charlie England wrote:
>> Anyone using a covering supplier that's better (cheaper, better
>> service, etc) than A/C Spruce?
>

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirbsp;              -Matt Dralle, List Adm=========

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: covering supplier? Reply with quote

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM, <mojavjoe(at)comcast.net (mojavjoe(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Charlie

Use the covering that A/C Spruce refers to as peel ply.

Joe

I almost ordered it, but it's only 5' wide & I wasn't sure if that would have enough 'wrap' to do one side of a wing. If I do this sort of thing again, I'll certainly give it a try.
Thanks,
Charlie

mojavjoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: covering supplier? Reply with quote

Charlie

My two cents again;  I used white Gripper but any good acrylic primmer will do and you can tint it toward your top coat. As I'm painting scenes on my wings and fuselage I can't do the sanding described by Wiener Dog so I'm spraying on a high gloss clear coat. The product I've settled on is Rustolem acrylic gloss clear.

Joe

To: "kolb-list" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:03:16 AM
Subject: Re: Re: covering supplier?
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>
Thanks, Peter.
order the grey.
damage.
Thanks,
Charlie
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "phcpilot" <cowan.phc(at)gmail.com>

Peter

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus softwarebsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
=====

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: covering supplier? Reply with quote

Thanks Joe; that's good news. I'll just use a good quality primer & quit worrying about it. Will a gallon take care of both wings (the multiple coats required)?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:06 AM, <mojavjoe(at)comcast.net (mojavjoe(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Charlie

My two cents again;  I used white Gripper but any good acrylic primmer will do and you can tint it toward your top coat.  As I'm painting scenes on my wings and fuselage I can't do the sanding described by Wiener Dog so I'm spraying on a high gloss clear coat. The product I've settled on is Rustolem acrylic gloss clear.

Joe

From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>
To: "kolb-list" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:03:16 AM
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Re: covering supplier?
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>
Thanks, Peter.
order the grey.
damage.
Thanks,
Charlie
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "phcpilot" <cowan.phc(at)gmail.com (cowan.phc(at)gmail.com)>

The re-paint was on a fuselage which had some cracking and chipping of an older auto finish from firewall back past trailing edge of a Rans S7.  I sanded and filled the crack/chip areas with poly filla (Yup) then had the hardware store do a colour match of some exterior latex paint. Actually these days it is called water based acrylic. Years ago you couldn't sand latex due to its rubbery nature. Not so these days.

Peter

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus softwarebsp;             - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
=====

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: