Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SB 14-08-29 and life of nose shock disks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: SB 14-08-29 and life of nose shock disks Reply with quote

Now that those flying have a few more years, any feedback on how much the shock disks are compressing over time? Early achievers are over 10 yrs now?

I'm curious, as the exact same disks are used on all three gear legs of Mooneys. On the older, short body style (2575 gross) they seem to last 20+ years.

On intermediate body (F,J&K models)(2740-2800 gross) they seem to last 10-15 yrs. On newer long body models with up to 3200 gross they are only good for 5-7 yrs.

IIRC only a few doing the SB found cracks? Should the retaining bolt at the top of the hat be tight or free to rotate when the plane is on gear with weight on nose?

Trying to complete condition inspection.

Kelly
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>

I would think this comes under the heading of 'if it ain't broke ... don't fix it'.
They will continue to compress, but the rate slows down over time.  They should last for 10 years or more.  I'd keep adding spacers until you see cracks in the elastomer.
Linn

On 9/17/2014 4:06 PM, Bill Watson wrote:
Quote:

- I don't know about replacing the nose wheel elastomers. Afterall, they are already compressed and 'set'.  Thoughts?

Bill

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: SB 14-08-29 and life of nose shock disks Reply with quote

I had to add one washer after 1200 hrs and 9 years. Van sez three washers and replace. I operate out of grass field and do not have the crack. My top hat is not tight but does not rotate by hand. Did not want to force another washer to get it really tight.
Do not archive.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 14, 2017, at 9:47 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Now that those flying have a few more years, any feedback on how much the shock disks are compressing over time? Early achievers are over 10 yrs now?

I'm curious, as the exact same disks are used on all three gear legs of Mooneys. On the older, short body style (2575 gross) they seem to last 20+ years.

On intermediate body (F,J&K models)(2740-2800 gross) they seem to last 10-15 yrs. On newer long body models with up to 3200 gross they are only good for 5-7 yrs.

IIRC only a few doing the SB found cracks? Should the retaining bolt at the top of the hat be tight or free to rotate when the plane is on gear with weight on nose?

Kelly

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>

I would think this comes under the heading of 'if it ain't broke .... don't fix it'.
They will continue to compress, but the rate slows down over time. They should last for 10 years or more. I'd keep adding spacers until you see cracks in the elastomer.
Linn

Quote:

- I don't know about replacing the nose wheel elastomers. Afterall, they are already compressed and 'set'. Thoughts?

Bill

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jim Combs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: SB 14-08-29 and life of nose shock disks Reply with quote

N312F  800+ hours hard surface runway, 6 years, no cracks, 1 washer

Jim C
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Kelly

Quote:

I would think this comes under the heading of 'if it ain't broke ... don't fix it'.
They will continue to compress, but the rate slows down over time.  They should last for 10 years or more.  I'd keep adding spacers until you see cracks in the elastomer.
Linn

Quote:

- I don't know about replacing the nose wheel elastomers. Afterall, they are already compressed and 'set'.  Thoughts?

Bill

Greg McFarlane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: SB 14-08-29 and life of nose shock disks Reply with quote

Not directly related to the Mooney/RV10 shock discs compression question, but related to SB 14-08-29....... Has anyone considered replacing at least one of the washers under the top hat collar assembly retainer with a more forgiving material ? The compression/suspension of loads from the front wheel are taken care of by the compressing of the rubber shock discs (elastomers) but when that compression is unloaded the whole movement back down is metal to metal hammering between the isolator washers and the engine mount dyna cup. I haven't tried it, but maybe a washer made from some sort of tyre rubber would stand the load and soften the hammer blows. Any ideas/comments from the brains trust? Cheers from Western Australia

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: SB 14-08-29 and life of nose shock disks Reply with quote

I don't know that the impact is all that hard. I agree in concept though. If there was a huge gap maybe but as long as you have the gap mostly taken up when compressed the drop isn't that far so the shock can't be that bad.
To me the part of the design that concerns me is that the metal strut tube that goes thru the elastomers rubs on the metal plate in the engine mount, at least on mine, and could eventually wear thru that strut tube. Maybe just enlarging that hole would work....but that could also result in the stack of elastomers being able to move more. I don't know.
Tim

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, at 5:47 AM, Greg McFarlane <grbcmcfarlane(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Not directly related to the Mooney/RV10 shock discs compression question, but related to SB 14-08-29....... Has anyone considered replacing at least one of the washers under the top hat collar assembly retainer with a more forgiving material ? The compression/suspension of loads from the front wheel are taken care of by the compressing of the rubber shock discs (elastomers) but when that compression is unloaded the whole movement back down is metal to metal hammering between the isolator washers and the engine mount dyna cup. I haven't tried it, but maybe a washer made from some sort of tyre rubber would stand the load and soften the hammer blows. Any ideas/comments from the brains trust? Cheers from Western Australia

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=468409#468409

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: