Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

As I thought I was closing up from my condition inspection, I discovered that the rear cowl support, F-10108A (page 47-11&12) had fractured at the bend where it attaches to the firewall.  I'm thinking about using some angle aluminum to replace that bend, at least for now.  I'm guessing that the bend when the part was made weakened the aluminum, and the vibration/fiberglass flexing and stress from removal and reinstall of cowling made the failure inevitable. Perhaps the fact that I used quick release fasteners instead of piano hinges may focus more stress on the part.  Just wondering if anyone else has had a failure there

Kelly-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

This is very common and your proposed fix is exactly what I do.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
C: 352-427-0285
F: 815-377-3694

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, at 9:15 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

As I thought I was closing up from my condition inspection, I discovered that the rear cowl support, F-10108A (page 47-11&12) had fractured at the bend where it attaches to the firewall. I'm thinking about using some angle aluminum to replace that bend, at least for now. I'm guessing that the bend when the part was made weakened the aluminum, and the vibration/fiberglass flexing and stress from removal and reinstall of cowling made the failure inevitable. Perhaps the fact that I used quick release fasteners instead of piano hinges may focus more stress on the part. Just wondering if anyone else has had a failure there
Kelly
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

I used screws and plates and mine has never fractured that part. Frankly I surprised of that. Just a data point.
Tim

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, at 8:15 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

As I thought I was closing up from my condition inspection, I discovered that the rear cowl support, F-10108A (page 47-11&12) had fractured at the bend where it attaches to the firewall. I'm thinking about using some angle aluminum to replace that bend, at least for now. I'm guessing that the bend when the part was made weakened the aluminum, and the vibration/fiberglass flexing and stress from removal and reinstall of cowling made the failure inevitable. Perhaps the fact that I used quick release fasteners instead of piano hinges may focus more stress on the part. Just wondering if anyone else has had a failure there
Kelly
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

I've noticed that mine will fold up under the cowling if I'm not careful when sliding the lower cowl on. Then it takes some effort to get into out of a bind and into the right position.

It's certainly a bracket prone to eventually failing on my plane at least. If I'm careful it will be fine, but it's hard to be careful when you're wrestling that lower cowling around 3 blades and a nose gear. Practice makes closer to perfect anyway.

Phil
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, at 8:36 AM, Jesse Saint <jesse(at)saintaviation.com> wrote:

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 9:15 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As I thought I was closing up from my condition inspection, I discovered that the rear cowl support, F-10108A (page 47-11&12) had fractured at the bend where it attaches to the firewall. I'm thinking about using some angle aluminum to replace that bend, at least for now. I'm guessing that the bend when the part was made weakened the aluminum, and the vibration/fiberglass flexing and stress from removal and reinstall of cowling made the failure inevitable. Perhaps the fact that I used quick release fasteners instead of piano hinges may focus more stress on the part. Just wondering if anyone else has had a failure there
> Kelly
> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm

partner14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

Never even installed it on my 10. Looked like the weak link to me. So I made my own. A little wider at the small bend end, and slightly heavier gauge.
Don McDonald

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2017 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture

--> RV10-List message posted by: Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>

I've noticed that mine will fold up under the cowling if I'm not careful when sliding the lower cowl on.  Then it takes some effort to get into out of a bind and into the right position.

It's certainly a bracket prone to eventually failing on my plane at least. If I'm careful it will be fine, but it's hard to be careful when you're wrestling that lower cowling around 3 blades and a nose gear.  Practice makes closer to perfect anyway.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, at 8:36 AM, Jesse Saint <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Jesse Saint <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)>

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Jesse Saint

Quote:
Saint Aviation, Inc.

Quote:
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Quote:
> On Apr 15, 2017, at 9:15 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
>

Quote:
> As I thought I was closing up from my condition inspection, I discovered that the rear cowl support, F-10108A (page 47-11&12) had fractured at the bend where it attaches to the firewall. I'm thinking about using some angle aluminum to replace that bend, at least for now. I'm guessing that the bend when the part was made weakened the aluminum, and the vibration/fiberglass flexing and stress from removal and reinstall of cowling made the failure inevitable. Perhaps the fact that I used quick release fasteners instead of piano hinges may focus more stress on the part. Just wondering if anyone else has had a failure there

Quote:
> Kelly

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
http://forums.matronics.com
<= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!

-Matt Dralle, List Admin.

http://www.matronics.com/contribution

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

+1.
And slightly modified for the James Cowl.
Carl

On Apr 15, 2017, at 10:45 AM, Don McDonald <building_partner(at)yahoo.com (building_partner(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Never even installed it on my 10. Looked like the weak link to me. So I made my own. A little wider at the small bend end, and slightly heavier gauge.
Don McDonald

From: Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2017 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture

--> RV10-List message posted by: Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>

I've noticed that mine will fold up under the cowling if I'm not careful when sliding the lower cowl on. Then it takes some effort to get into out of a bind and into the right position. 

It's certainly a bracket prone to eventually failing on my plane at least. If I'm careful it will be fine, but it's hard to be careful when you're wrestling that lower cowling around 3 blades and a nose gear. Practice makes closer to perfect anyway.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, at 8:36 AM, Jesse Saint <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Jesse Saint <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)>

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Jesse Saint

Quote:
Saint Aviation, Inc.

Quote:
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Quote:
> On Apr 15, 2017, at 9:15 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
>

Quote:

Quote:
> Kelly

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

http://forums.matronics.com
<= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!

-Matt Dralle, List Admin.

http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

I had to make a new one, because my James cowl has a slightly taller exit area. Used a bit thicker aluminum and angles on both top and bottom. Much sturdier and so far no signs of issues in 280 hours. Here's a picture.
I also have camlocks on the bottom of the cowl, the floating ones too.

Lenny

IMG_2028.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.56 KB
 Viewed:  6779 Time(s)

IMG_2028.JPG

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

I copied Tim's solution during the build. No problems at 900hrs other
than a smoking rivet.

On 4/15/2017 9:43 AM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:

I used screws and plates and mine has never fractured that part. Frankly I surprised of that. Just a data point.
Tim

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 8:15 AM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Kelly

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

rvdave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

Quote:

I had to make a new one, because my James cowl has a slightly taller exit area. Used a bit thicker aluminum and angles on both top and bottom. Much sturdier and so far no signs of issues in 280 hours. Here's a picture.
I also have camlocks on the bottom of the cowl, the floating ones too.

What are the two lines adelled to the bracket?

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: F-10108A Support Bracket Fracture Reply with quote

Fuel pump overflow and FAB drain line.

rvdave wrote:

What are the two lines adelled to the bracket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: