Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inlet baffling very baffling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digidocs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Inlet baffling very baffling Reply with quote

Hi list,

Does anyone have pictures or other good pointers on how baffling should work around the sides of the inlet ramps?
I understand how the lower portion of the inlet ramp baffling is supposed to work, but the ramp upper/side portions have me stumped---in particular the outboard ramp edges.  It almost seems like the plans say "put some baffle material on the edge of the ramp and then just stuff it up into the front of the cowl".  If possible, I'd like to make it work better than that.
Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
David

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
mdaniell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Inlet baffling very baffling Reply with quote

I also wrestled with this. Fortunately my cowl lined up pretty close to the inlet ramps so I didn't attach any baffling material to the cowl. For the sides I pretty much followed the plans with the baffling stuffed behind the cowl. I'm getting cruise temps around 325 to 345 depending on conditions. I did get very CHTs on the first few flights, however these have settled down without any modification.

Regards
Martin

Aerosport IO540. Plasma iii and 1 magneto.[/quote]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Wedig435

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Inlet baffling very baffling Reply with quote

I used 4" scat ducting.
Attach it with pop rivets to the air cleaner.
I Compress it with some tie wire against the air cleaner when the lower cowling is off.
Just need one wire to hold it back while installing the lower cowling.
Install lower cowling, cut the tie wire, release the scat hose.
It compresses great against the lower cowling flange.
Air tight and easy.

402 hours RV 10 no problems.

Thanks, Jim Villani
Broker, Salesman
Great Real Estate 
Mammoth Creek Excavation 
Jim(at)Sold702.com

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2017/04/19 2:40 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV10-List: Re: Inlet baffling very baffling

--> RV10-List message posted by: "mdaniell" <martin.daniell(at)bigpond.com>

I also wrestled with this. Fortunately my cowl lined up pretty close to the inlet ramps so I didn't attach any baffling material to the cowl. For the sides I pretty much followed the plans with the baffling stuffed behind the cowl. I'm getting cruise temps around 325 to 345 depending on conditions. I did get very CHTs on the first few flights, however these have settled down without any modification.

Regards
Martin

Aerosport IO540. Plasma iii and 1 magneto.[/quote]

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=468617#468617

20141211_153821_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  954.22 KB
 Viewed:  3425 Time(s)

20141211_153821_resized.jpg

20141211_153825_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1018.46 KB

20141211_153825_resized.jpg

20131207_130428_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB

20131207_130428_resized.jpg

20131207_134229_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB

20131207_134229_resized.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: