Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prop Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Prop Problems Reply with quote

Sensor on the P-lead of each slick. 
Vernon 

On Apr 23, 2017 8:00 PM, "John Trollinger" <john(at)trollingers.com (john(at)trollingers.com)> wrote:
Quote:
How are you getting RPM, a sensor on the mag?

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  All of you were correct, it came down to RPM.  Alex DeDominicis dropped by earlier as I was outside trying to get things to work.  I told him the situation and ran it up with him outside. He said there was no way the engine was running at 2000 RPM, so he proceeded to jump in and pushed the throttle up beyond were I had gone yet.  At around 3800 RPM... The prop finally engaged.  After nearly having a heart attack, he said that was closer to 1900 to 2000 RPM.  So it seems my Dynon EMS is doubling the RPM for some reason, need to do some more research.  

Prop problem solved, on to the next one!
Thanks for the input, you guys nailed it.
Vernon
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I started the engine for the first time today Smile
Everything was in the green, and looked really good.  But when I went to test the prop, it would not cycle.
I have a hartzell gov, and the arm swing is good.  Everything from the outside looks like it should work.  Everything is stock from Van's FWF or Lycoming.
I definitely pulled the plug on the crank case, that isn't the issue.  I just don't know the first place to start looking.
The only thing I can see from the outside, is this spacer between the governor and the engine, maybe the teeth on the gear cannot reach far enough.  See picture.

[img]cid:ii_15b9881cd1bbd634[/img]

Anyone ever experience this?
--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  553.64 KB
 Viewed:  3637 Time(s)

image.png

vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Prop Problems Reply with quote

Perfect thank you. 
Vernon 

On Apr 23, 2017 7:52 PM, "Jesse Saint" <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)> wrote:
Quote:
If you go into settings, then to calibration (bottom option on the main settings list), then to EMS Calibration, then to RPM, change the pulses per revolution. Depending on your ignition system, there will be different pulses per revolution. If it's reading double, then double your pulses per revolution and that should fix it. Easy peasy. 

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
[url=tel:(352)%20427-0285]352-427-0285[/url]
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
Sent from my iPad

On Apr 23, 2017, at 7:52 PM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  All of you were correct, it came down to RPM.  Alex DeDominicis dropped by earlier as I was outside trying to get things to work.  I told him the situation and ran it up with him outside. He said there was no way the engine was running at 2000 RPM, so he proceeded to jump in and pushed the throttle up beyond were I had gone yet.  At around 3800 RPM... The prop finally engaged.  After nearly having a heart attack, he said that was closer to 1900 to 2000 RPM.  So it seems my Dynon EMS is doubling the RPM for some reason, need to do some more research.  

Vernon
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Everything was in the green, and looked really good.  But when I went to test the prop, it would not cycle.
I have a hartzell gov, and the arm swing is good.  Everything from the outside looks like it should work.  Everything is stock from Van's FWF or Lycoming.
I definitely pulled the plug on the crank case, that isn't the issue.  I just don't know the first place to start looking.
The only thing I can see from the outside, is this spacer between the governor and the engine, maybe the teeth on the gear cannot reach far enough.  See picture.

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image.png
 Description:

image.png

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Prop Problems Reply with quote

With Dynon it is usually a wire to the p-lead with a resistor.
Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
Sent from my iPad

On Apr 23, 2017, at 8:54 PM, John Trollinger <john(at)trollingers.com (john(at)trollingers.com)> wrote:
Quote:

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. All of you were correct, it came down to RPM. Alex DeDominicis dropped by earlier as I was outside trying to get things to work. I told him the situation and ran it up with him outside. He said there was no way the engine was running at 2000 RPM, so he proceeded to jump in and pushed the throttle up beyond were I had gone yet. At around 3800 RPM... The prop finally engaged. After nearly having a heart attack, he said that was closer to 1900 to 2000 RPM. So it seems my Dynon EMS is doubling the RPM for some reason, need to do some more research.

Vernon
Quote:
Everything was in the green, and looked really good. But when I went to test the prop, it would not cycle.
I have a hartzell gov, and the arm swing is good. Everything from the outside looks like it should work. Everything is stock from Van's FWF or Lycoming.
I definitely pulled the plug on the crank case, that isn't the issue. I just don't know the first place to start looking.
The only thing I can see from the outside, is this spacer between the governor and the engine, maybe the teeth on the gear cannot reach far enough. See picture.

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

image.png
 Description:

image.png

Kellym

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Prop Problems Reply with quote

Agreed. The Dynon default is 1 for four cylinder engines. You need 1.5
for six cylinder. Not sure why you would be getting double actual if you
had the default 4 cyl setting. Make sure you have the approx 30K
resistor in the line between EMS and P-lead. Can need higher if there
are some spikes seen.

On 4/23/2017 6:13 PM, Jesse Saint wrote:
Quote:
With Dynon it is usually a wire to the p-lead with a resistor.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com <mailto:jesse(at)saintaviation.com>

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 23, 2017, at 8:54 PM, John Trollinger <john(at)trollingers.com
<mailto:john(at)trollingers.com>> wrote:

> How are you getting RPM, a sensor on the mag?
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM Vernon Franklin
> <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com <mailto:vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions. All of you were correct, it
> came down to RPM. Alex DeDominicis dropped by earlier as I was
> outside trying to get things to work. I told him the situation
> and ran it up with him outside. He said there was no way the
> engine was running at 2000 RPM, so he proceeded to jump in and
> pushed the throttle up beyond were I had gone yet. At around 3800
> RPM... The prop finally engaged. After nearly having a heart
> attack, he said that was closer to 1900 to 2000 RPM. So it seems
> my Dynon EMS is doubling the RPM for some reason, need to do some
> more research.
>
> Prop problem solved, on to the next one!
>
> Thanks for the input, you guys nailed it.
>
> Vernon
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Vernon Franklin
> <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com <mailto:vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I started the engine for the first time today Smile
>
> Everything was in the green, and looked really good. But when
> I went to test the prop, it would not cycle.
>
> I have a hartzell gov, and the arm swing is good. Everything
> from the outside looks like it should work. Everything is
> stock from Van's FWF or Lycoming.
>
> I definitely pulled the plug on the crank case, that isn't the
> issue. I just don't know the first place to start looking.
>
> The only thing I can see from the outside, is this spacer
> between the governor and the engine, maybe the teeth on the
> gear cannot reach far enough. See picture.
>
> Inline image 1
>
> Anyone ever experience this?
>
> --
> Vernon Franklin
>
>
> --
> Vernon Franklin
>

neal.george(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Prop Problems Reply with quote

Not having studied the Dynon manuals, my guess would be that two pick-ups (one on each P-lead) are combining to double the reading.

Neal George
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, at 10:03 AM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Prop Problems Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing. If the setting is 1 and needs to be 1.5, then 2,000 rpm would read as 3,000. If it was set at .5, then it would be triple instead of double. Either way, it should be made correct by adjusting the pulses per revolution.

Also, in my instructions, I was assuming it was Skyview. The D120/D180/D10 would be different.

Give me a call tomorrow or the next time you are at he plane and I can walk you through the setup.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:03 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

Agreed. The Dynon default is 1 for four cylinder engines. You need 1.5 for six cylinder. Not sure why you would be getting double actual if you had the default 4 cyl setting. Make sure you have the approx 30K resistor in the line between EMS and P-lead. Can need higher if there are some spikes seen.

> On 4/23/2017 6:13 PM, Jesse Saint wrote:
> With Dynon it is usually a wire to the p-lead with a resistor.
> Jesse Saint
> Saint Aviation, Inc.
> 352-427-0285
> jesse(at)saintaviation.com <mailto:jesse(at)saintaviation.com>
> Sent from my iPad
>> On Apr 23, 2017, at 8:54 PM, John Trollinger <john(at)trollingers.com <mailto:john(at)trollingers.com>> wrote:
>> How are you getting RPM, a sensor on the mag?
>>
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com <mailto:vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks everyone for the suggestions. All of you were correct, it
>> came down to RPM. Alex DeDominicis dropped by earlier as I was
>> outside trying to get things to work. I told him the situation
>> and ran it up with him outside. He said there was no way the
>> engine was running at 2000 RPM, so he proceeded to jump in and
>> pushed the throttle up beyond were I had gone yet. At around 3800
>> RPM... The prop finally engaged. After nearly having a heart
>> attack, he said that was closer to 1900 to 2000 RPM. So it seems
>> my Dynon EMS is doubling the RPM for some reason, need to do some
>> more research.
>>
>> Prop problem solved, on to the next one!
>>
>> Thanks for the input, you guys nailed it.
>>
>> Vernon
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Vernon Franklin
>> <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com <mailto:vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I started the engine for the first time today Smile
>>
>> Everything was in the green, and looked really good. But when
>> I went to test the prop, it would not cycle.
>>
>> I have a hartzell gov, and the arm swing is good. Everything
>> from the outside looks like it should work. Everything is
>> stock from Van's FWF or Lycoming.
>>
>> I definitely pulled the plug on the crank case, that isn't the
>> issue. I just don't know the first place to start looking.
>>
>> The only thing I can see from the outside, is this spacer
>> between the governor and the engine, maybe the teeth on the
>> gear cannot reach far enough. See picture.
>>
>> Inline image 1
>>
>> Anyone ever experience this?
>>
>> -- Vernon Franklin
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -- Vernon Franklin
>>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Prop Problems Reply with quote

Make sure you have the 30k ohm resistor inline on both the white/green and white/blue wires close to where they tie to the p-lead, then follow this (6-cyl should be either 1.5 or 3.0 based on this):

Increment or decrement the PULS/REV R and L values to correspond to the number of pulses put out by your tachometer source for each engine revolution. You may select the pulses/rev for both the left and right tachometer inputs independently. If they are both p-lead inputs, these will likely be the same number. However, if you have connected two different types of tachometer sources, you will likely have to input different values into these fields. If you are using a p-lead connection, the PULS/REV value will typically be set to 1⁄2 or 1⁄4 of the number of cylinders in the engine. If you find that the onscreen tachometer reads double or half what you expect, adjust the PULS/REV value until you observe the expected value. If you do not have anything hooked to one of the tachometer inputs, the PULS/REV setting for this input can be set to any value. The FlightDEK-D180 will automatically ignore this unused input

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
Sent from my iPad

On Apr 23, 2017, at 9:12 PM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Sensor on the P-lead of each slick.
Vernon

On Apr 23, 2017 8:00 PM, "John Trollinger" <john(at)trollingers.com (john(at)trollingers.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. All of you were correct, it came down to RPM. Alex DeDominicis dropped by earlier as I was outside trying to get things to work. I told him the situation and ran it up with him outside. He said there was no way the engine was running at 2000 RPM, so he proceeded to jump in and pushed the throttle up beyond were I had gone yet. At around 3800 RPM... The prop finally engaged. After nearly having a heart attack, he said that was closer to 1900 to 2000 RPM. So it seems my Dynon EMS is doubling the RPM for some reason, need to do some more research.

Vernon
Quote:
Everything was in the green, and looked really good. But when I went to test the prop, it would not cycle.
I have a hartzell gov, and the arm swing is good. Everything from the outside looks like it should work. Everything is stock from Van's FWF or Lycoming.
I definitely pulled the plug on the crank case, that isn't the issue. I just don't know the first place to start looking.
The only thing I can see from the outside, is this spacer between the governor and the engine, maybe the teeth on the gear cannot reach far enough. See picture.

--
Vernon Franklin

--
Vernon Franklin

image.png
 Description:
 Viewed:  3635 Time(s)

image.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: