Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apollo SL-40 faceplate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilot623(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Apollo SL-40 faceplate Reply with quote

The clear plastic faceplate on my Apollo SL-40 radio has warped and lifted making it hard to read the display. Garmin won’t send parts and wants $550 for the repair. I plan to cut a piece of plastic to replace the warped piece. Has anyone else had to deal with a similar problem?

Jim
N623JF

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01D2BEA0.15CD8140[/img]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.94 KB
 Viewed:  3616 Time(s)

image003.jpg

lwheat2083

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Apollo SL-40 faceplate Reply with quote

Yup. Had a Garmin radio go bad on the faceplate readout. They wanted 500 bucks to look at it and found out from a radio shop in Montana that there were no parts available for that particular model. He had a faceplate sent it to me and gues what it worked. I forget what the faceplate cost me but much less than just looking at the radio from Garmin. VERY disappointed in that customer service profile. Still waiting on an upgrade on G3X tach software fix. First 2 did not work. Been almost a year, no word and no fix. For the price we pay for Garmin you would think would be better. There are a lot of Cirrus customers out there VERY dissatisfied with their service as well.
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, at 2:16 PM, Jim Fillman <pilot623(at)gmail.com (pilot623(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
The clear plastic faceplate on my Apollo SL-40 radio has warped and lifted making it hard to read the display. Garmin won’t send parts and wants $550 for the repair. I plan to cut a piece of plastic to replace the warped piece. Has anyone else had to deal with a similar problem?

Jim
N623JF

<image003.jpg>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lancegoddard(at)sbbmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Apollo SL-40 faceplate Reply with quote

The instructor I use for biennials has a Diamond DA20 with a couple of Garmin units in it. He has expressed major frustration that they obsolete products and don’t supply parts or support for them. They also won’t provide any information so that a third party could do maintenance on them. It speaks to the need for competition that won’t be gobbled up.
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, at 4:06 PM, Larry Wheat <lwheat2083(at)gmail.com (lwheat2083(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Yup. Had a Garmin radio go bad on the faceplate readout. They wanted 500 bucks to look at it and found out from a radio shop in Montana that there were no parts available for that particular model. He had a faceplate sent it to me and gues what it worked. I forget what the faceplate cost me but much less than just looking at the radio from Garmin. VERY disappointed in that customer service profile. Still waiting on an upgrade on G3X tach software fix. First 2 did not work. Been almost a year, no word and no fix. For the price we pay for Garmin you would think would be better. There are a lot of Cirrus customers out there VERY dissatisfied with their service as well.
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, at 2:16 PM, Jim Fillman <pilot623(at)gmail.com (pilot623(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Jim
N623JF

<image003.jpg>

ronko(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Apollo SL-40 faceplate Reply with quote

Jim,
I haven't done such a replacement.
Some plastic faceplates for LED displays are polarized to make them more readable in sunlight beaming down on them. Simple to verify if it is polarized. When you remove the faceplate that you are going to discard, cut it in half or any portion of it. Place the 2 pieces on top of each other and look through the 2 pieces to see how transparent they are then rotate one of the pieces and observe if the transparency changes (i.e. significantly gets darker), if so the faceplate is polarized.
Even if it is polarized, this may not be a big deal replacing the faceplate with ordinary transparent plastic, you just may loose some contrast from the display in direct sun light.
Best regards,
Ron

To: Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com; pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:17 PM
Subject: Apollo SL-40 faceplate

Jim
N623JF

[img]cid:5da7d6ba-2317-6275-31c2-24b14526a05b(at)yahoo.com[/img]

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.94 KB
 Viewed:  3613 Time(s)

image003.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: