Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aileron gap seal: when?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

For you Twinstar builders/restorers, how/when do you install gap seals? 

My 1st gen plans say to install the seals before installing the hinges. I'm planning on using the latex finishing method, and I've used the Stewart water based glue for covering. Do you pre-shrink the gap seal fabric and glue it on after the rest of the finish work (final paint), then repaint after attaching the gap seal?
Thanks,
Charlie

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

Charlie E/Kolbers:

Haven't covered a wing in 17 years, so if I am wrong someone will promptly correct me please.  Wink

After you shoot the last coat of Polybrush (sealer), the gap seal is cemented to wing and aileron.  I think I used 3" finishing tape and it is not shrunk.

Use a small needle soldering iron to burn out the rivet holes.

Hinges are riveted after finish painting.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:47 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: aileron gap seal: when?

My 1st gen plans say to install the seals before installing the hinges. I'm planning on using the latex finishing method, and I've used the Stewart water based glue for covering. Do you pre-shrink the gap seal fabric and glue it on after the rest of the finish work (final paint), then repaint after attaching the gap seal?

Thanks,

Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. Your description is how I'm reading the plans. But I'm not sure how to manage a 12' aileron (flaperon) and a 15' wing when I'll need to flip the assembly numerous times while applying multiple finish coats, and keep the two components aligned well enough to avoid peeling off the gap seal from at least one side.

Charlie

On 4/26/2017 9:18 AM, John Hauck wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Charlie E/Kolbers:

Haven't covered a wing in 17 years, so if I am wrong someone will promptly correct me please.  Wink

After you shoot the last coat of Polybrush (sealer), the gap seal is cemented to wing and aileron.  I think I used 3" finishing tape and it is not shrunk.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie England
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Thanks,

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

Very gently....

Shoot one side and roll the wing and aileron over, being careful of course.

Poly-tak cement is very tenacious.  I never had a problem with separation during processing and finishing.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charlie England
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:14 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: aileron gap seal: when?

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. Your description is how I'm reading the plans. But I'm not sure how to manage a 12' aileron (flaperon) and a 15' wing when I'll need to flip the assembly numerous times while applying multiple finish coats, and keep the two components aligned well enough to avoid peeling off the gap seal from at least one side.

Charlie

On 4/26/2017 9:18 AM, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:

Charlie E/Kolbers:

Haven't covered a wing in 17 years, so if I am wrong someone will promptly correct me please. Wink

After you shoot the last coat of Polybrush (sealer), the gap seal is cemented to wing and aileron. I think I used 3" finishing tape and it is not shrunk.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Charlie England
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Thanks,

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Titus, Alabama
Frankd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

Hi Charlie/John,

The instructions for my MkIII Xtra was to complete the wing and attach the ailerons. Then use two strips of 3M Book tape, 3 inch wide, that are overlapped upon each other with about one inch of sticky side tape exposed. This will give you a one inch sticky edge facing down on one side and up on the opposite side.

Then you stick this "Modified tape" to the bottom of the wing and top of the aileron , bridging the gap between the wing and Aileron. I also did the exact same on the horizontal stab and elevators.
It still works great and looks fine.

(I think it was bottom of wing and top of aileron but it could be the other way round)

This is another option.. and can be done when all else is finished.. I just cleaned the surface well and used tack cloth to make sure no dust , etc , was trapped in the tape.

My 2 cents..
FrankD

MkIII Xtra, hollister Ca.

PS.. I have decided to sell my Kolb , in case anyone is interested.. want to give this list the first notification before I post in Barnstormers.

Cheers.

Do not archive

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

Tape is ok, I guess.

Finishing tape is much more permanent. I've got serviceable gap seals after
25 years and more than 3400 hours service.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

Titus, Alabama
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

On 4/27/2017 10:54 AM, John Hauck wrote:
[quote]

Tape is ok, I guess.

Finishing tape is much more permanent. I've got serviceable gap seals after
25 years and more than 3400 hours service.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

"John Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

> Finishing tape is much more permanent.  I've got serviceable gap seals after
> 25 years and more than 3400 hours service.

Absolutely true, a "Tape seal" is something that will have to be replaced every few years. But it is quick and easy and cheap to do.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

Bill B/Kolbers:

Tape is "quick and easy".

I don't know that a couple strips of finishing tape is all that expensive.

Takes a little more time, but trim tape looks a lot more professional and 25 times more serviceable if I based that opinion on changing out sticky tape once a year.

There is more involved in replacing old tape that simply pulling off the old and sticking on the new. There's the matter of cleaning up the old tape residue that seems to remain more on the fabric than on the tape. I have yet to see any sticky tape stay stuck when used as a gap seal, especially in the area of that pusher prop.

I took a great deal of time and pride in my airplanes. It paid off.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

Titus, Alabama
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: aileron gap seal: when? Reply with quote

Well, I took a shot at living in both worlds. The blue stripe is
painter's tape. Trying to keep primer & finish off the bond line on
trailing edge & aileron leading edge. Hoping to complete the finish,
then get a good bond on the finish tape as gap seal, then do the
finishing on the finishing tape. Smile A bit more trouble than binding
tape, but less hassle than trying to flip the wing repeatedly without
assistance.

I'll let the list know how it works out.

As a reminder, I'm using Ekobond for fabric attachment, and latex for
primer/finish.

Charlie

On 4/27/2017 2:47 PM, John Hauck wrote:
[quote]

Bill B/Kolbers:

Tape is "quick and easy".

I don't know that a couple strips of finishing tape is all that expensive.

Takes a little more time, but trim tape looks a lot more professional and 25 times more serviceable if I based that opinion on changing out sticky tape once a year.

There is more involved in replacing old tape that simply pulling off the old and sticking on the new. There's the matter of cleaning up the old tape residue that seems to remain more on the fabric than on the tape. I have yet to see any sticky tape stay stuck when used as a gap seal, especially in the area of that pusher prop.

I took a great deal of time and pride in my airplanes. It paid off.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

gap_seal_trick_(Small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.83 KB
 Viewed:  6618 Time(s)

gap_seal_trick_(Small).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: