Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z-17 and over voltage warning lamp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpoint(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Z-17 and over voltage warning lamp Reply with quote

I've wired my airplane based on the Z-17 diagram, which uses no master
contactor, a PM alternator and crowbar OV adapted for that alternator.
Notably, Z-17 omits the panel mounted OV warning lamp which is activated
by the OV relay being tripped- the lamp is wired to the normally closed
contact on the relay, as shown on the diagram which came with the
alternator.

Today I applied power to the panel for the first time, and while no
spoke escaped, I now know why Z-17 omits this lamp- without a master
contactor, this lamp is illuminated constantly when the master switch is
off and only goes off when power is applied to the alternator control
relay. I would like to use this lamp on the panel, but the only fix I
can noodle out is to run the lamp wire through a switch, probably using
a 3-pole for the master switch (which now controls both battery and
alternator on one switch.)

Has anyone else tackled this with a different solution?

Jeff Point

Milwaukee

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Z-17 and over voltage warning lamp Reply with quote

At 04:57 PM 5/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Jeff Point <jpoint(at)wi.rr.com>

I've wired my airplane based on the Z-17 diagram, which uses no master contactor, a PM alternator and crowbar OV adapted for that alternator.
Notably, Z-17 omits the panel mounted OV warning lamp which is activated by the OV relay being tripped- the lamp is wired to the normally closed contact on the relay, as shown on the diagram which came with the alternator.

Today I applied power to the panel for the first time, and while no spoke escaped, I now know why Z-17 omits this lamp- without a master contactor, this lamp is illuminated constantly when the master switch is off and only goes off when power is applied to the alternator control relay. I would like to use this lamp on the panel, but the only fix I can noodle out is to run the lamp wire through a switch, probably using a 3-pole for the master switch (which now controls both battery and alternator on one switch.)

Z-17 has a recommended solution. Active notification
of low voltage in the form of sensor and light.

Eric Jones has a LV Warn product http://tinyurl.com/yj7g5jh

I'll have a replacement for the discontinued AEC9005
product later this year.

You can built your own from details on my website.
http://tinyurl.com/6mvso29

No doubt there are other options out there.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-17 and over voltage warning lamp Reply with quote

Perhaps a LED (with series resistor) in parallel with the 5 amp circuit breaker.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Z-17 and over voltage warning lamp Reply with quote

At 09:02 PM 5/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

Perhaps a LED (with series resistor) in parallel with the 5 amp circuit breaker.

Excellent thought . . . only one concern . . .
and it's a minor one. Current demand by any
light connected across the breaker should be
LESS than the dropout current for the relay.

I have some exemplar S704 plastic relays here
on which I've measured a dropout current on
the order of 0.04 amps. This might be a good
application for the indicator lamp I just
featured on my 'trivia dump'. It draws
0.012 amps at 12v.

If you'd like to try this lamp, shoot me an
address and I'll mail you one.

Bob . . .

jpoint(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Z-17 and over voltage warning lamp Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. Thinking this through some more- since I have an engine monitor with alarms and setable limits, I could simply have an alarm trigger when voltage drops below a certain point, say 14 volts, indicating an alternator out and battery only operations. A check of the alt circuit breaker could diagnose if the condition was caused by a crowbar trip or some other failure... although in flight it makes little difference since your on battery power either way.
Is there any real advantage to having a dedicated OV trip warning light? I can't seem to find any.
Jeff

Sent from my iPad

On May 7, 2017, at 7:43 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 04:57 PM 5/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Jeff Point <jpoint(at)wi.rr.com (jpoint(at)wi.rr.com)>

I've wired my airplane based on the Z-17 diagram, which uses no master contactor, a PM alternator and crowbar OV adapted for that alternator.
Notably, Z-17 omits the panel mounted OV warning lamp which is activated by the OV relay being tripped- the lamp is wired to the normally closed contact on the relay, as shown on the diagram which came with the alternator.

Today I applied power to the panel for the first time, and while no spoke escaped, I now know why Z-17 omits this lamp- without a master contactor, this lamp is illuminated constantly when the master switch is off and only goes off when power is applied to the alternator control relay. I would like to use this lamp on the panel, but the only fix I can noodle out is to run the lamp wire through a switch, probably using a 3-pole for the master switch (which now controls both battery and alternator on one switch.)

Z-17 has a recommended solution. Active notification
of low voltage in the form of sensor and light.

Eric Jones has a LV Warn product http://tinyurl.com/yj7g5jh

I'll have a replacement for the discontinued AEC9005
product later this year.

You can built your own from details on my website.
http://tinyurl.com/6mvso29

No doubt there are other options out there.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Z-17 and over voltage warning lamp Reply with quote

At 07:38 PM 5/8/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Bob. Thinking this through some more- since I have an engine monitor with alarms and setable limits, I could simply have an alarm trigger when voltage drops below a certain point, say 14 volts, indicating an alternator out and battery only operations. A check of the alt circuit breaker could diagnose if the condition was caused by a crowbar trip or some other failure... although in flight it makes little difference since your on battery power either way.

Is there any real advantage to having a dedicated OV trip warning light? I can't seem to find any.

As long as you have ACTIVE notification of some
type, the design goal is met.

Most span-can drivers don't know their alternator
is off line until stuff on the panel starts going
dark. You need to know . . . and implement plan-B
within mere minutes . . . there are lots of ways
to make that happen.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: