Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air tank regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danbooker

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Air tank regulator Reply with quote

Does anyone have advice on a regulator for a compressed air tank? I got a large "T" style tank full of compressed air from Praxair and now want to put a regulator on it to fill my YAK. Any ideas? There are a lot of regulators and connections out there, I have the Schroeder valve on my YAK. I would also like to fill my Scuba tank up, this is getting pretty complex and any help is appreciated!

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

danbooker@hotmail.com
Looigi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank regulator Reply with quote

Hi dude,

We use a 115L dive tank to fill our plane's air tanks. There are 9 guys in the syndicate that own our Yak and given that a dive bottle runs at 3200 psi, the chance of overfilling is a real possibility. One of two things will happen.... the tank goes bang, or the plane does VNE on the starter button!

I used one of these..... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TDKUW56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It works well.

I am going to be making some adapters for the Russian air fitting on the plane if you are interested.

Cheers
Chris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Air tank regulator Reply with quote

Purchase a Stage One regulator from your Scuba dealer. Then fabricate an airline using a fitting swaged onto the air line to screw into the Stage 1. The other end is for the female Schrader valve connection you purchased from Aircraft Spruce or Aircraft Tool Supply. Your can add an inline pressure gauge to monitor fill pressure. That was more sugar for the NICKLE as I monitor the pressure on the panel as I fill the tanks. It does tell me what the line pressure is going to the fill port when I pay attention to it.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On May 1, 2017, at 9:14 PM, danbooker <danbooker(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have advice on a regulator for a compressed air tank? I got a large "T" style tank full of compressed air from Praxair and now want to put a regulator on it to fill my YAK. Any ideas? There are a lot of regulators and connections out there, I have the Schroeder valve on my YAK. I would also like to fill my Scuba tank up, this is getting pretty complex and any help is appreciated!

--------
Daniel Booker
&quot;Stealth-Eagle Aviation&quot;
danbooker(at)hotmail.com

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=468910#468910

Yakjumper

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Air tank regulator Reply with quote

Scuba bottles and classic valves and hoses are big and bulky.
I have a 1.6l paintball carbon bottle, 300bar, it has a regulator with 55bar, perfect for the Yak. And a light flexible hose. Wheighs less than 2kg alltogether , fills my Yak weekly.

If I need more air I use a 6.8l 300bar cfk bottle with that 55bar regulator. Bottle is 3.6kg plus 1kg of air and hose.
No bulky equipment, has enough air even for the annual (gear up/down...)

And the small bottle fits into a bagback and can go on weekend flights.
I also have a small 300bar compressor to fill the tanks by myself, so I do not have to carry a steel bottle to a scuba shop.

If you are in the EU, contact me if you cannot get these parts, I have some brand new spares and compressors.

IMG_7159.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.51 KB
 Viewed:  6276 Time(s)

IMG_7159.jpg

Ttail

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank regulator Reply with quote

What is the exact ID of the regulator Yakman ?

Yakjumper

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank regulator Reply with quote

Thats a standard paintball regulator.
Nothing fancy, std in any paintball store. Also the bottle and hose.
There are different brands and models, but any will do.
Check the thread if you are using our own bottle.
Here in Europe 300bar bottles have M18x1.5mm thread, also the regulators.
200bar is different and in the US I assume they use non metric.

Bigger bottles and the Yak air adapter are specials parts.
I use a 6.8l composite (only 3.6kg) and a std 200bar steel scuba bottle, but the steel bottles are too heavy. Only advantage: they are cheap.
The regulator not only saves weight and space compared to a scuba valve, it fits perfectly to the light hose and 750psi for the Yak.
Even the 6.8l bottle with hose and all parts fit into a bag.

Picture shows 6.8l CFK bottle

6.8l bottle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.39 KB
 Viewed:  5908 Time(s)

6.8l bottle.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: