Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clas Reply with quote

That is very helpful, thank you for taking time to respond.

Over and above the potential causes and fixes for this, another thing I am getting out of all this discussion is that significant aileron system issues (control heaviness, asymmetrical loads and high required force) is not seen as being rare or abnormal for a Kolb.

As a suggestion, I will advise Jimmy O'Neal to find the original Kolb rigging and control setup specifications and start by making sure that this is all set back to the factory specs. That way he will know where he is starting from.

I will also advise him to make a proper series of measurements to determine whether there is a warp, twist, or other "big picture" issue with the aircraft.

As far as resolving the high force to actuate the aileron system, does anyone on the Kolb list know whether the aerobatic style "spades" that were developed for one Kolb actually solved this problem? It seems like a lot of effort and modification, but I also know that these spades do work (on aerobatic aircraft and for a different intended purpose).
Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 6/13/17, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: Re: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clasic
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 3:45 PM

Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com>

In my experience it was lack of an
adequate trim tab, if all else was rigged to specs and the
control system had not been changed or modified.

The aircraft I was flying was much
easier to roll right than left.

John h
mkIII
Fayetteville, NC

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III clas Reply with quote

Kolbs were not designed for aerobatics and fast roll rates at higher speeds.

Homer Kolb's idea of the epitome of flight was to fly slowly, just above the stall and just above the tree tops, to be in contact with the ground. His requirement was full aileron control right through the stall. In order to do this, Kolbs have very large ailerons. The Ultrastars and Firestars had full span deep cord ailerons just for that purpose. If one wants quick full aileron throw he must slow down. The faster the airspeed the heavier the aileron. At higher speeds, 80, 90, and higher, the MKIII is still very flyable, but you aren't going to move the ailerons very much very quickly. If you want faster roll rate, slow down.

If one is flying fast, gets into severe turbulence, and think they need a lot of aileron input quickly, you ain't gonna get it. Slow down to a comfortable maneuvering speed and your bird will do exactly what you tell it to. You cannot be forceful. There is a lot of leverage in that control stick. If you force it, something might bend or break.

At slower speeds my MKIII, and the other two Kolbs I built, will respond quite readily to aileron input. One can easily get full aileron travel.

I once complained to Homer Kolb about the heavy ailerons. Homer told me to be gentle and the airplane would do what I wanted it to do. A gentle pilot, in my opinion, is a much better pilot than one that tries to force an airplane to respond.

Again, my own opinion. Don't recommend anyone doing like I do, but it works for me.

John h
mkIII
Fayetteville, NC

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
kenw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Flying characteristics of new to me Mark III Reply with quote

I am currently building a NEW Mark III Classic... If you need any Plans or blue print spec info, let me know.
worthken67(at)gmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: