Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Archer Antenna in RV4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noms1reqd(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Archer Antenna in RV4 Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience installing an Archer Comm antenna in an RV4 wingtip?
I'm considering the Archer Model 1A and have concerns that it will fit properly.
ARCHER SPORT AIRCRAFT COM ANTENNA MODEL 1A

<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
<![endif]--> ARCHER SPORT AIRCRAFT COM ANTENNA MODEL 1A ARCHER SPORT AIRCRAFT COM ANTENNA MODEL 1A These antennas have been designed by Bob Archer from Torrance, CA uti...

Thanks.
Jeff Bertsch

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Archer Antenna in RV4 Reply with quote

I bought one each side for the wing tips of my Rocket Jeff, then learned that only one was practical. In the end, neither was used due to building tip tanks, so both are available for sale.
Usually US$100+ each I believe, but I will part with one or other for US$60 each plus shipping.
Cheers, Stu
Quote:
On 27 Jun 2017, at 23:36, Jeff Bertsch <noms1reqd(at)yahoo.com (noms1reqd(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
96<![endif]--> Does anyone have experience installing an Archer Comm antenna in an RV4 wingtip?
I'm considering the Archer Model 1A and have concerns that it will fit properly.

ARCHER SPORT AIRCRAFT COM ANTENNA MODEL 1A
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
<![endif]--> ARCHER SPORT AIRCRAFT COM ANTENNA MODEL 1A ARCHER SPORT AIRCRAFT COM ANTENNA MODEL 1A These antennas have been designed by Bob Archer from Torrance, CA uti...

Thanks.

Jeff Bertsch

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jdubner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Archer Antenna in RV4 Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone have experience installing an Archer Comm antenna in an RV4 wingtip?

Jeff, I have the Archer NAV antenna mounted in my RV-8A's wingtip, which I believe is similar if not identical to that of the RV-4. So taking your question literally, I would say it will fit OK.

However . . . you didn't ask but I advise against it because of the performance hit of the mostly horizontally-oriented antenna while VHF com requires vertical polarization.

When I ran out of space for vertically-polarized antennas on the bottom of my '8A, I mounted one on the bottom of a wing. The ground plane is larger and there's plenty of separation for multiple antennas.

--
Joe

Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Archer Antenna in RV4 Reply with quote

I would agree. I have one Archer Nav antenna in each wing tip to serve 2
navcoms. Performance is okay. While my -10 has big enough wing tips to
do a vertical com, I wouldn't. A friend put one in -7 wingtip and it was
good for maybe 20 miles until he had the plane painted with a metallic
paint. Performance dropped to under 10 miles, so he abandoned and put
antenna on a convenient wing inspection plate.

On 6/27/2017 2:40 PM, jdubner wrote:
Quote:

> Does anyone have experience installing an Archer Comm antenna in an RV4 wingtip?
> I'm considering the Archer Model 1A and have concerns that it will fit properly.

Jeff, I have the Archer NAVantenna mounted in my RV-8A's wingtip, which I believe is similar if not identical to that of the RV-4. So taking your question literally, I would say it will fit OK.

However . . . you didn't ask but I advise against it because of the performance hit of the mostly horizontally-oriented antenna while VHF com requires vertical polarization.

When I ran out of space for vertically-polarized antennas on the bottom of my '8A, I mounted one on the bottom of a wing. The ground plane is larger and there's plenty of separation for multiple antennas.

--
Joe

--------
RV-8A
Independence, OR

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=470531#470531

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: