Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Non-DoD Source] Magneto failure CD-5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] Magneto failure CD-5 Reply with quote

The only thought that comes to mind is that with the rotor totally loose on Mag 1, and you indicate ALL THREE SCREWS WERE LOOSE, then it is likely that the rotor contact arm, and the metal tabs on the cap were damaged in the process. When you tightened it down again the rotor point is not making good contact with the mag distributor cap. This would explain why it worked before and stopped working after you messed with it. I am also assuming you aligned the rotor properly when you tightened it down, which it clearly was NOT when it was loose.

But there is a CHANCE that this gets even worse. When you took the mag apart and replaced the coil, there is a chance that you put it in incorrectly, that it was a bad coil, that something is not aligned correctly, etc. I am guessing that you noticed how easily it turns after you took it completely apart.

On the other hand, if before you did anything at all, you simply replaced the cigarette and THEN spun it, with no other changes made, and it THEN spun very easily.... then I have no idea. So there is a requirement to know the exact sequence of what you did, and what checks you made to point a likely finger at the cause, but I strongly suspect that ORIGINALLY when you tightened down the rotor, you caused it to no longer make contact with the cap tabs and it stopped working because when it was loose, it was banging away at the contacts and they changed their orientation.

And all of that is actually a wild ass guess (WAG).

Mark
--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: