Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balancing Tundra tires...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickc(at)mtaonline.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

Quote:

Hello Kolbers,

A few weeks back I finished a project, with Larry and Boyd’s help, and I promised to share it with the “List”.
So here goes….

I had never thought of balancing the tires on my plane, and if I had not bought the Desser 8.50 x 6 inch tires, I am not sure it would matter.
As you probably remember Larry posted another example of his homestead creativity, where he melted down what looked like about a 1/2 pound of .357 lead wad cutter, poured them into appropriately sized molds to balance each wheel, then when they cooled he hot glued these custom weights to his rims and balanced his tundra tires.

Larry and Boyd said the better way to balance a tire “is out at the tread" rather than at the center, and encouraged me to try it. I discovered that the front bias ply tires of tractor trailer rigs are in fact balanced using “leaded patch” stuck on the inside of the tire.
These leaded patches are of a scale way beyond what I needed. I found however that regular radial truck tire patches were heavy enough.

I balanced my tires by spinning them on a dowel to find the light spots. By taping 1/4 oz, lead car tire weights, to the outside of my Tundra tires “tread” I determined that it only required 1 3/4 oz of lead to balance my first tire, verses 5 oz taped on the rim. The other tire required 6 oz on the rim and 2 oz on the tread.

I then mounted radial tire patches to the appropriate locations on the inside of the tires to balance the tires. The first tire was balanced with one patch glued to the inside of the tire. The second tire required two patches trimmed down and mated together to form one slightly elongated patch. Ideally the patches would be mounted to the tubes, but I did not think I was a good enough Tire technician to pull that off. Putting the tubes in and out of the tires was the hardest part of the whole project for me, and I felt it unlikely that I would get the patches in the correct position on the tubes.

Time will tell how this approach works out.

For what it is worth,

Nick Cassara
Palmer, Alaska

Kolb Kolbra Prototype about 90% done…

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea. I didn't know about farm tractors and semi-trucks using this method. A lot less weight to get the job done.

Boy, those tires would look good on Miss P'fer. Wink

Your post reminded me of delivering some 800X6 tires and tubes from Palmer, AK, to the Rock House in Oregon a couple years ago.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
undoctor(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

Nick, I've been using balancing beads in my cycle tires for years. Same
idea, balancing at outer circumference, but there's no user adjustment. As
soon as the wheel spins the beads position themselves to balance the wheel
perfectly. Got 15K miles on the last front tire on my BMW K1600GTL. Coming
on 30K now with some tread remaining.

I've never had a problem but I do remind the techy to be careful not to
splash tire lube inside. I buy "large" quantities online and weigh out 2
oz. on a postal scale each time.

FWIW.
Dave Kulp

no Kolb except by blood😖

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com
On July 31, 2017 9:31:12 PM Nick Cassara <nickc(at)mtaonline.net> wrote:

Quote:

>
> Hello Kolbers,
>
> A few weeks back I finished a project, with Larry and Boyd’s help, and I
> promised to share it with the “List”.
> So here goes….
>
> I had never thought of balancing the tires on my plane, and if I had not
> bought the Desser 8.50 x 6 inch tires, I am not sure it would matter.
> As you probably remember Larry posted another example of his homestead
> creativity, where he melted down what looked like about a 1/2 pound of .357
> lead wad cutter, poured them into appropriately sized molds to balance each
> wheel, then when they cooled he hot glued these custom weights to his rims
> and balanced his tundra tires.
>
> Larry and Boyd said the better way to balance a tire “is out at the tread"
> rather than at the center, and encouraged me to try it. I discovered that
> the front bias ply tires of tractor trailer rigs are in fact balanced using
> “leaded patch” stuck on the inside of the tire.
> These leaded patches are of a scale way beyond what I needed. I found
> however that regular radial truck tire patches were heavy enough.
>
> I balanced my tires by spinning them on a dowel to find the light spots. By
> taping 1/4 oz, lead car tire weights, to the outside of my Tundra tires
> “tread” I determined that it only required 1 3/4 oz of lead to balance my
> first tire, verses 5 oz taped on the rim. The other tire required 6 oz on
> the rim and 2 oz on the tread.
>
> I then mounted radial tire patches to the appropriate locations on the
> inside of the tires to balance the tires. The first tire was balanced with
> one patch glued to the inside of the tire. The second tire required two
> patches trimmed down and mated together to form one slightly elongated
> patch. Ideally the patches would be mounted to the tubes, but I did not
> think I was a good enough Tire technician to pull that off. Putting the
> tubes in and out of the tires was the hardest part of the whole project for
> me, and I felt it unlikely that I would get the patches in the correct
> position on the tubes.
>
> Time will tell how this approach works out.
>
> For what it is worth,
>
> Nick Cassara
> Palmer, Alaska
>
> Kolb Kolbra Prototype about 90% done…
>

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

David and Kolb enthusiast

Quote:
From my research,,, and I did suggest to Larry that he try them....
The tire beads do work,,, but they don't start until you reach around 30

mph. From the time I go from 30 to when my wheels are off the ground is
of a short enough duration,, that I no longer think the beads have a
chance to position themselves.... This was noted by another mkiii
driver.
Dyna beads list aircraft, generically, on their web sight,, but do not
have a page showing how many beads to use... Too many sizes and weights.
When I sent an email on their contact page they were good to reply, when
supplied with wheel weights and dimensions, they made suggestions of how
many beads to use. I currently have a set on my desk, but I am now to
gun-shy to try.

Boyd Young

On Aug 1, 2017 7:01 AM, "David Kulp" <undoctor(at)rcn.com> wrote:

[quote]

Nick, I've been using balancing beads in my cycle tires for years. Same
idea, balancing at outer circumference, but there's no user adjustment. As
soon as the wheel spins the beads position themselves to balance the wheel
perfectly. Got 15K miles on the last front tire on my BMW K1600GTL. Coming
on 30K now with some tread remaining.

I've never had a problem but I do remind the techy to be careful not to
splash tire lube inside. I buy "large" quantities online and weigh out 2
oz. on a postal scale each time.

FWIW.
Dave Kulp

no Kolb except by blood😖

On July 31, 2017 9:31:12 PM Nick Cassara <nickc(at)mtaonline.net> wrote:

>
>> Hello Kolbers,
>>
>> A few weeks back I finished a project, with Larry and Boyd’s help, and I
>> promised to share it with the “List”.
>> So here goes….
>>
>> I had never thought of balancing the tires on my plane, and if I had not
>> bought the Desser 8.50 x 6 inch tires, I am not sure it would matter.
>> As you probably remember Larry posted another example of his homestead
>> creativity, where he melted down what looked like about a 1/2 pound of .357
>> lead wad cutter, poured them into appropriately sized molds to balance each
>> wheel, then when they cooled he hot glued these custom weights to his rims
>> and balanced his tundra tires.
>>
>> Larry and Boyd said the better way to balance a tire “is out at the
>> tread" rather than at the center, and encouraged me to try it. I discovered
>> that the front bias ply tires of tractor trailer rigs are in fact balanced
>> using “leaded patch” stuck on the inside of the tire.
>> These leaded patches are of a scale way beyond what I needed. I found
>> however that regular radial truck tire patches were heavy enough.
>>
>> I balanced my tires by spinning them on a dowel to find the light spots

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

--> Kolb-List message posted by: David Kulp <undoctor(at)rcn.com (undoctor(at)rcn.com)>Nick, I've been using balancing beads in my cycle tires for years. Same idea, balancing at outer circumference, but there's no user  adjustment. As soon as the wheel spins the beads position themselves to balance the wheel perfectly. Got 15K miles on the last front tire on my BMW K1600GTL. Coming on 30K now with some tread remaining.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first thing I tried was balancing beads. I ordered some from O'Reilly's but could never get any of them in the tube. The tubes for these Tundra tires has an opening so small I could never get anything in them. I tried every method on You tube, and as far as I know never got a single bead in the tube. That's when I gave up and made my own weights. 

The beads were very small, but not small enough to get them aywhere but the floor.
Larry

undoctor(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

Hey Boyd,
Thanks for the input. I have never been able to tell at what speed they balance, I think because as soon as the wheel begins to show a need for balance the beads position themselves to eliminate the need. I believe 30K miles on just two front tires supports my trust in them. I personally wouldn't hesitate to use them in an airplane if I had one.
Dave

On August 1, 2017 9:29:47 AM B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

David and Kolb enthusiast
From my research,,,   and I did suggest to Larry that he try them....
The tire beads do work,,, but they don't start until you reach around 30 mph.    From the time I go from 30 to when my wheels are off the ground is of a short enough duration,,  that I no longer think the beads have a chance to position themselves....   This was noted by another mkiii driver.   
Dyna beads list aircraft, generically,  on their web sight,, but do not have a page showing how many beads to use... Too many sizes and weights.   When I sent an email on their contact page they were good to reply, when supplied with wheel weights and dimensions,   they made suggestions of how many beads to use.   I currently have a set on my desk,  but I am now to gun-shy to try.
Boyd Young
On Aug 1, 2017 7:01 AM, "David Kulp" <undoctor(at)rcn.com (undoctor(at)rcn.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: David Kulp <undoctor(at)rcn.com (undoctor(at)rcn.com)>

Nick, I've been using balancing beads in my cycle tires for years. Same idea, balancing at outer circumference, but there's no user  adjustment. As soon as the wheel spins the beads position themselves to balance the wheel perfectly. Got 15K miles on the last front tire on my BMW K1600GTL. Coming on 30K now with some tread remaining.

I've never had a problem but I do remind the techy to be careful not to splash tire lube inside. I buy "large" quantities online and weigh out 2 oz. on a postal scale each time.

FWIW.
Dave Kulp

no Kolb except by blood😖

On July 31, 2017 9:31:12 PM Nick Cassara <nickc(at)mtaonline.net (nickc(at)mtaonline.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Nick Cassara <nickc(at)mtaonline.net (nickc(at)mtaonline.net)>

Quote:

Hello Kolbers,

A few weeks back I finished a project, with Larry and Boyd’s help, and I promised to share it with the “List”.
So here goes….

I had never thought of balancing the tires on my plane, and if I had not bought the Desser 8.50 x 6 inch tires, I am not sure it would matter.
As you probably remember Larry posted another example of his homestead creativity, where he melted down what looked like about a 1/2 pound of .357 lead wad cutter, poured them into appropriately sized molds to balance each wheel, then when they cooled he hot glued these custom weights to his rims and balanced his tundra tires.

Larry and Boyd said the better way to balance a tire “is out at the tread" rather than at the center, and encouraged me to try it. I discovered that the front bias ply tires of tractor trailer rigs are in fact balanced using “leaded patch” stuck on the inside of the tire.
These leaded patches are of a scale way beyond what I needed. I found however that regular radial truck tire patches were heavy enough.

I balanced my tires by spinning them on a dowel to find the light spots. By taping 1/4 oz, lead car tire weights, to the outside of my Tundra tires “tread” I determined that it only required 1 3/4 oz of lead to balance my first tire, verses 5 oz taped on the rim. The other tire required 6 oz on the rim and 2 oz on the tread.

I then mounted radial tire patches to the appropriate locations on the inside of the tires to balance the tires. The first tire was balanced with one patch glued to the inside of the tire. The second tire required two patches trimmed down and mated together to form one slightly elongated patch. Ideally the patches would be mounted to the tubes, but I did not think I was a good enough Tire technician to pull that off. Putting the tubes in and out of the tires was the hardest part of the whole project for me, and I felt it unlikely that I would get the patches in the correct position on the tubes.

Time will tell how this approach works out.

For what it is worth,

Nick Cassara
Palmer, Alaska

Kolb Kolbra Prototype about 90% done…

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

Nick,

I too use the beads in my motorcycle tires with great success. So much so I put them in my Ford Explorer at last tire change. I wouldn't hesitate to try them in the Firefly tires if the need ever arises.

The question of when they "kick in" is a bit tricky for me to figure out. Your tire would be turning faster than a motorcycle tire so the centripetal force would be greater, but the distance from the axle would be shorter so that may negate the increased rotational speed.

As for getting the beads into the tires. Are you using tubes? If not, seat the tire, then deflate and break one bead. Push it down and pour the beads in. If you have a tube the valve stem should be the same size as any other tire. Take the core out and put a short piece of 1/4" hose on the stem. Put the beads in a small squeeze bottle that has a spout on it. Insert spout into hose and squeeze gently. If the beads bind up in the tube gently tap the valve stem with a screwdriver or something and they will flow in. Remember, just go slow.

Make sure that there is no left over lube in the tire as it will cause the beads to clump together.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

--

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)>

As for getting the beads into the tires. Are you using tubes? If not, seat the tire, then deflate and break one bead. Push it down and pour the beads in. If you have a tube the valve stem should be the same size as any other tire. Take the core out and put a short piece of 1/4" hose on the stem. Put the beads in a small squeeze bottle that has a spout on it. Insert spout into hose and squeeze gently. If the beads bind up in the tube gently tap the valve stem with a screwdriver or something and they will flow in. Remember, just go slow.

Make sure that there is no left over lube in the tire as it will cause the beads to clump together.

Hope this helps,

Stuart
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided that the tube for the tundra's was a special tube and perhaps the opening under the valve stem was different from other tires. In any case I used fuel line to fit over the stem. (valve stem removed of course) tried to tap them into the tube. Nope balled up! Then saw a you tube video of blowing them in with a short burst of air, air- Nope, balled up, or blew back out when the air hose was removed. Tried three different times, and only got them on the floor.  At that point I started melting lead.

Larry 

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

The day before I departed Alabama to fly to Sherman, TX, to meet my Kolb buddies flying in from Texas and LA, I decided to Slime my main gear tubes.  The year prior, 2008, several Kolbs had tire problems.  I knew if I got in that situation I would be SOL.  Takes an act of God to get break the beads and remove the tubes to repair or replace, if one has a replacement.  I decided to Slime them.  That would take care of the little problems that might crop up.

Took off the next morning for our rendezvous at Sherman, TX.  Soon as I started rolling good on takeoff I knew I had made a bad mistake.  Thought the main gear was going to shake the MKIII to pieces.  I lived with this super shake to Monument Valley, UT, Rock House, OR, and all the way back to Alabama.  I dreaded taking off and landing.  I think a flat tire would have been easier to live with.

Needless to say I changed out the tubes soon as I got back home.  No more Slime in my airplane tires!  I can live with a little tire bounce.  Hit the brakes soon after breaking ground and it is gone.  Don't notice it landing because I am bouncing anyhow.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 12:26 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Balancing Tundra tires...

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)>

Hope this helps,

Stuart
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided that the tube for the tundra's was a special tube and perhaps the opening under the valve stem was different from other tires. In any case I used fuel line to fit over the stem. (valve stem removed of course) tried to tap them into the tube. Nope balled up! Then saw a you tube video of blowing them in with a short burst of air, air- Nope, balled up, or blew back out when the air hose was removed. Tried three different times, and only got them on the floor. At that point I started melting lead.

Larry

--

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Titus, Alabama
undoctor(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

Larry, the Dyna Beads I bought had a device to get them in the valve stem shipped with them. Never had to use it since my scoot has tubeless tires. Just put 2 oz in a baggie and he pours them in.

On August 1, 2017 9:40:53 AM Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: David Kulp <undoctor(at)rcn.com (undoctor(at)rcn.com)>Nick, I've been using balancing beads in my cycle tires for years. Same idea, balancing at outer circumference, but there's no user  adjustment. As soon as the wheel spins the beads position themselves to balance the wheel perfectly. Got 15K miles on the last front tire on my BMW K1600GTL. Coming on 30K now with some tread remaining.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first thing I tried was balancing beads. I ordered some from O'Reilly's but could never get any of them in the tube. The tubes for these Tundra tires has an opening so small I could never get anything in them. I tried every method on You tube, and as far as I know never got a single bead in the tube. That's when I gave up and made my own weights. 

The beads were very small, but not small enough to get them aywhere but the floor.
Larry

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

Interesting. I did see where one guy used an electric engraving pen (the kind that vibrates a scribe point) and just held the side of the pen to the valve stem and the beads just flowed in.

Don’t know about different stem sizes, could be, I just don’t know about them.

If you were really (I mean REALLY) patient, you could pick them up one at a time with tweezers and drop them into the stem. J

Or you could cut a small hole in the tube, use a funnel and then patch the tube!

Never mind, just being a smart aleck.

Glad you found a solution,

Stuart
Do not archive

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell

Hope this helps,

Stuart
I decided that the tube for the tundra's was a special tube and perhaps the opening under the valve stem was different from other tires. In any case I used fuel line to fit over the stem. (valve stem removed of course) tried to tap them into the tube. Nope balled up! Then saw a you tube video of blowing them in with a short burst of air, air- Nope, balled up, or blew back out when the air hose was removed. Tried three different times, and only got them on the floor. At that point I started melting lead.

Larry

--

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Balancing Tundra tires... Reply with quote

That is good to know. Never slimed anything but lawn mower and wheel borrow tires or other slow rolling stuff.

One would think that being a fluid it would just spread out. Must be too viscus.

I too have bounced landings but never a take-off.

Thanks for the smile,

Stuart
Do not archive

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Hauck
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 1:21 PM
Subject: RE: Re: Balancing Tundra tires...

The day before I departed Alabama to fly to Sherman, TX, to meet my Kolb buddies flying in from Texas and LA, I decided to Slime my main gear tubes. The year prior, 2008, several Kolbs had tire problems. I knew if I got in that situation I would be SOL. Takes an act of God to get break the beads and remove the tubes to repair or replace, if one has a replacement. I decided to Slime them. That would take care of the little problems that might crop up.

Took off the next morning for our rendezvous at Sherman, TX. Soon as I started rolling good on takeoff I knew I had made a bad mistake. Thought the main gear was going to shake the MKIII to pieces. I lived with this super shake to Monument Valley, UT, Rock House, OR, and all the way back to Alabama. I dreaded taking off and landing. I think a flat tire would have been easier to live with.

Needless to say I changed out the tubes soon as I got back home. No more Slime in my airplane tires! I can live with a little tire bounce. Hit the brakes soon after breaking ground and it is gone. Don't notice it landing because I am bouncing anyhow.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Larry

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: