Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otto(at)otamat.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

New installation of Rotax 912S suffered wear on camshaft lobes, and was replaced by Rotax under warranty. The Aeroshell appears to be watery thin, as opposed honey- like synthetic motorcycle 4 stroke oil.
otto

On 3 August 2017 at 20:47, pilot623 <pilot623(at)gmail.com (pilot623(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
That begs the question, how did the oil contribute to Wrecking the engine?
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Otto Souta otto(at)otamat.com (otto(at)otamat.com) [Pulsar-Aviators]" <Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)>
Date: 8/3/17 2:36 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)
Cc: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil

Please do not go for the Aeroshell. I know two cases of wrecked engines due to this oil. Stick with Motul 5100 10W-40 4T Motorcycle Engine Oil 10W40.
Cheers Otto
Pulsar III

On 3 August 2017 at 16:54, Garry Siggelkow GSiggelkow(at)hotmail.com (GSiggelkow(at)hotmail.com) [Pulsar-Aviators] <Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I've been using full synthetic red line motorcycle oil with great results.  The sport plus 4 is very good as well, especially if you use avgas occassionally...

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

From: "gregsmi(at)aol.com (gregsmi(at)aol.com) [Pulsar-Aviators]"
Date:08/03/2017 8:39 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com),Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)
Subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil

I talked to Dean at Lockwood and they are recommending Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 for the 912. I am getting ready to change the oil and order a case of Aeroshell. If others are interested, I can bring some to the reunion in Lawrence.

Let me know.

Greg 

__._,_.___

Posted by: Otto Souta <otto(at)otamat.com (otto(at)otamat.com)>

Reply to sender ([email]otto(at)otamat.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BPulsar-Aviators%5D%20912%20oil[/email]) • Reply to group ([email]Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BPulsar-Aviators%5D%20912%20oil[/email]) • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (7) [img]https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON[/img]
Have you tried the highest rated email app? With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Visit Your Group

Unsubscribe ([email]Pulsar-Aviators-unsubscribe(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) • Terms of Use

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=13031253/grpspId=1705786083/msgId=8060/stime=1501789455[/img]
[img]http://y.analytics.yahoo.com/fpc.pl?ywarid=515FB27823A7407E&a=10001310322279&js=no&resp=img&cf12=CP[/img] __,_._,___

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
mariopaulolucas(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

Hi,

I,am using aeroshell plus 4 on 912 ULS. 
" two cases of wrecked engines due to this oil " Am I missing anithing ?, Can you clarify ?

Thank you.
Mario Lucas 
Portugal
2017-08-03 20:47 GMT+01:00 pilot623 <pilot623(at)gmail.com (pilot623(at)gmail.com)>:
Quote:
That begs the question, how did the oil contribute to Wrecking the engine?
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: "Otto Souta otto(at)otamat.com (otto(at)otamat.com) [Pulsar-Aviators]" <Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)>
Date: 8/3/17 2:36 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)
Cc: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil

Please do not go for the Aeroshell. I know two cases of wrecked engines due to this oil. Stick with Motul 5100 10W-40 4T Motorcycle Engine Oil 10W40.
Cheers Otto
Pulsar III

On 3 August 2017 at 16:54, Garry Siggelkow GSiggelkow(at)hotmail.com (GSiggelkow(at)hotmail.com) [Pulsar-Aviators] <Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I've been using full synthetic red line motorcycle oil with great results.  The sport plus 4 is very good as well, especially if you use avgas occassionally...

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

From: "gregsmi(at)aol.com (gregsmi(at)aol.com) [Pulsar-Aviators]"
Date:08/03/2017 8:39 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com),Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com (Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com)
Subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil

I talked to Dean at Lockwood and they are recommending Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 for the 912. I am getting ready to change the oil and order a case of Aeroshell. If others are interested, I can bring some to the reunion in Lawrence.

Let me know.

Greg 

__._,_.___

Posted by: Otto Souta <otto(at)otamat.com (otto(at)otamat.com)>

Reply to sender ([email]otto(at)otamat.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BPulsar-Aviators%5D%20912%20oil[/email]) • Reply to group ([email]Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BPulsar-Aviators%5D%20912%20oil[/email]) • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (7) [img]https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON[/img]
Have you tried the highest rated email app? With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Visit Your Group

Unsubscribe ([email]Pulsar-Aviators-unsubscribe(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) • Terms of Use

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=13031253/grpspId=1705786083/msgId=8060/stime=1501789455[/img]
[img]http://y.analytics.yahoo.com/fpc.pl?ywarid=515FB27823A7407E&a=10001310322279&js=no&resp=img&cf12=CP[/img] __,_._,___

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

freedom4life(at)xtra.co.n

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

Initially I ran with Castrol GPS until the formulation was changed that then caused it to foam.
Since then I have run the Aero Sport 4 oil along with the genuine Rotax filter.
The engine and airframe each have 2250 hours.
I change both filter and oil every 100 hours.
There have been zero maintenance issues except for a replaced sprag clutch at 1000 hours as I had the early starter that didn't like to wind the engine at speed for starting.  I also fitted a Bully Hawk soft start at the same time.

I run 2% Power Up in the oil.  I know Rotax say no additives but I believe this is mostly from a safety perspective in that they don't know what you might put in the engine.  Power Up suggest that you should expect to get 3 - 4 times engine manufactures TBO.  I don't plan to take the engine out until at least 4000 hours.  It doesn't use more than 250cc of oil in the 100 change period. My 912 was a 1500 hour TBO engine. 

I have run 91 mogas since new with only 4 or five occasions where I have had to add a little 100LL to the mix.
Cliff McChesney
ZK KFC

Quote:

Wow, it appears we have a variety of opinions on which oil to use. I would like to survey the group to see what oil is being used. Please "reply all".

Oil?
Brand of filter?
How often is it changed?
How many hours flown?
Any maintenance issues?

I think this will be very useful information for all of us.

Thanks
Greg

__._,_.___

Posted by: GREGSMI(at)aol.com (GREGSMI(at)aol.com)

Reply to sender ([email]GREGSMI(at)aol.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email]) • Reply to group ([email]Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email]) • Start a New TopicMessages in this topic (13) [img]https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON[/img]

Visit Your Group

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=13031253/grpspId=1705786083/msgId=8067/stime=1501846104[/img]

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

FoesFlyDennis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

Cliff, thank you for this feedback! You've had excellent service from your engine and from your personal maintenance practices. I'll gladly subscribe to your methods.Dennis
On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Cliff <freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz (freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
Quote:

Initially I ran with Castrol GPS until the formulation was changed that then caused it to foam.
There have been zero maintenance issues except for a replaced sprag clutch at 1000 hours as I had the early starter that didn't like to wind the engine at speed for starting.  I also fitted a Bully Hawk soft start at the same time.

I run 2% Power Up in the oil.  I know Rotax say no additives but I believe this is mostly from a safety perspective in that they don't know what you might put in the engine.  Power Up suggest that you should expect to get 3 - 4 times engine manufactures TBO.  I don't plan to take the engine out until at least 4000 hours.  It doesn't use more than 250cc of oil in the 100 change period. My 912 was a 1500 hour TBO engine. 

I have run 91 mogas since new with only 4 or five occasions where I have had to add a little 100LL to the mix.
Cliff McChesney
ZK KFC

Quote:

Wow, it appears we have a variety of opinions on which oil to use. I would like to survey the group to see what oil is being used. Please "reply all".

Oil?
Brand of filter?
How often is it changed?
How many hours flown?
Any maintenance issues?

Thanks
Greg

__._,_.___

Reply to sender ([email]GREGSMI(at)aol.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email]) • Reply to group ([email]Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email]) • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (13) [img]https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON[/img]

Visit Your Group

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=13031253/grpspId=1705786083/msgId=8067/stime=1501846104[/img]

www.avg.com
[url=#m_4438219199766771584_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

FoesFlyDennis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

Cliff, I see several different products on the Power Up web site. Which are you using?Thanks, Dennis
On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Cliff <freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz (freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
Quote:

Cliff McChesney
ZK KFC

Quote:

Oil?
Brand of filter?
How often is it changed?
How many hours flown?
Any maintenance issues?

Thanks
Greg

__._,_.___

Reply to sender ([email]GREGSMI(at)aol.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email]) • Reply to group ([email]Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email]) • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (13) [img]https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON[/img]

Visit Your Group

www.avg.com

rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

Hi, Dennis. For the Jab it is best to run Shell 15-50 or 100 or equivalent. That oil for the Rotax is not what you want.

Ray W

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, August 6, 2017 4:46 PM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil

Cliff, I see several different products on the Power Up web site. Which are you using?
Thanks, Dennis

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Cliff <freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:
Cliff McChesney
ZK KFC

Oil?
Brand of filter?
How often is it changed?
How many hours flown?
Any maintenance issues?

Thanks
Greg

__._,_.___

Posted by: GREGSMI(at)aol.com

Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (13)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

VISIT YOUR GROUP

• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

freedom4life(at)xtra.co.n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

Dennis
If you are running the Jabiru then you don't want to run the Aero Shell Plus 4 oil.  Stick with the Jabiru recommendations, including oil change intervals.  Your engine will benefit from using the PowerUp Engine Maxx (NNL 690)
I have experience with 4 Jabiru engines (2200) in aircraft that I have either owned or been a part owner of.  The most important thing with the Jabiru is ensure you have good (even) cooling around all parts of the cylinders.  Their cylinders are paper thin and go out of round if you have cold air blasting on the front of the cylinder and little air passing over the back of each cylinder.  PowerUp will reduce friction and therefore lower temperatures,  both of which will help contribute to better engine life.
Cliff

On 7/08/2017 11:46 a.m., Dennis Tubbs wrote:

Quote:
Cliff, I see several different products on the Power Up web site. Which are you using? Thanks, Dennis

Quote:

Cliff McChesney
ZK KFC

Quote:

Oil?
Brand of filter?
How often is it changed?
How many hours flown?
Any maintenance issues?

Thanks
Greg

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group

www.avg.com

FoesFlyDennis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

Ray, you are a most discerning and decent fellow. Appreciate you looking out for me. However in this case, I was asking for sake of my Titan Tornado II-S with 912s. Really want to come see you and your P3 rocket ship! I hope it's serving you well again.Dennis
On Aug 6, 2017 6:05 PM, "Ray Pulsar III/3300" <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com (rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Hi, Dennis. For the Jab it is best to run Shell 15-50 or 100 or equivalent. That oil for the Rotax is not what you want.

Ray W

To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)

Cliff, I see several different products on the Power Up web site. Which are you using?
Thanks, Dennis

Quote:

Cliff McChesney
ZK KFC

Quote:

Oil?

Brand of filter?

How often is it changed?

How many hours flown?

Any maintenance issues?

Thanks

Greg

__._,_.___

[img]cid:image003.png(at)01D30EDD.7920CB70[/img]

Reply via web post
•
Reply to sender ([email]GREGSMI(at)aol.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email])
•
Reply to group ([email]Pulsar-Aviators(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20912%20oil[/email])
•
Start a New Topic
•
Messages in this topic (13)
[img]https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON[/img]

With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Visit Your Group

• Unsubscribe ([email]Pulsar-Aviators-unsubscribe(at)yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) • Terms of Use

[img]http://y.analytics.yahoo.com/fpc.pl?ywarid=515FB27823A7407E&a=10001310322279&js=no&resp=img&cf12=CP[/img]
__,_._,___

[img]cid:image004.png(at)01D30EDD.7920CB70[/img]

www.avg.com

01E0926C1D30436A9AF7D78FFE82A386.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  155 Bytes
 Viewed:  8061 Time(s)

01E0926C1D30436A9AF7D78FFE82A386.png

8C186E9903284C298A43F36E7950C7E9.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  147 Bytes
 Viewed:  8061 Time(s)

8C186E9903284C298A43F36E7950C7E9.png

rwilhelm25(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil Reply with quote

That is what the Pulsar group is all about, Dennis.

The airplane is flying very good. I just installed the Earth X battery that has been sitting on the bench since last Dec. What a strong start.

Keep in touch. You never know when I can sneak away on a Saturday.

Ray

Sent: Monday, August 7, 2017 9:58 AM
Subject: RE: Re: [Pulsar-Aviators] 912 oil

Ray, you are a most discerning and decent fellow. Appreciate you looking out for me. However in this case, I was asking for sake of my Titan Tornado II-S with 912s. Really want to come see you and your P3 rocket ship! I hope it's serving you well again.
Dennis

On Aug 6, 2017 6:05 PM, "Ray Pulsar III/3300" <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com> wrote:

Ray W

Thanks, Dennis

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Cliff <freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:
Cliff McChesney
ZK KFC

Oil?
Brand of filter?
How often is it changed?
How many hours flown?
Any maintenance issues?

Thanks
Greg

__._,_.___

Posted by: GREGSMI(at)aol.com

Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (13)

VISIT YOUR GROUP

• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: