Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

philperry9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.

1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.

2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!

I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:

The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile

--------
Lenny Iszak
Palm City, FL
2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
Tim

Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.

1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.

2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!

I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>
> --------
> Lenny Iszak
> Palm City, FL
> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

philperry9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

I wish I could offer a better report, but my data is very limited tonight.   I no more than took off and the guy who is hangared behind me was coming in to land and reported a cabin fire in his Cheetah.   So turned right back around and landed to help him.   Turned out being an electrical fire and non-event other than the excitement.

A couple of observations.
1) The fuel pressure has increase tremendously.   I was seeing 33 PSI.  The fluctuation was still there between 31 and 33.
2) The engine went from running like a sewing machine over the last 8 hours to running like a Model A.   It's now got a stumble it that is pretty persistent.     Thinking it might be related to the fuel pump, I turned the boost on.....  No change.
So I put it away for the night to read and think about the problem.   Two things have changed 1) The pump and 2) the PSI.  
I suppose it's possible that some trash was in the new pump and found its way down stream...    I'm thinking a full fuel system flush and injector inspection is in order.   Anyone know if there are any screens in the AFP system that I need to open up and inspect?   
My enthusiasm for this thing has slipped from a 10 last night to a 2 tonight.  Seems like a never ending chase.
Phil

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com>

Look at it this way.  It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you.  Never hurts to have spares.
Tim

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmcom>
>
> I know!    I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>
> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>
> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>
> I do think my pump was under performing though.  This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>
> Phil
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com (lenard(at)rapiddecision.com)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: "Lenny Iszak" <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com (lenard(at)rapiddecision.com)>
>>
>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>
>> --------
>> Lenny Iszak
>> Palm City, FL
>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
If not...sure, keep as spare.
-sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
Quote:

Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
Tim

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>
> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>
> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>
> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>
> Phil
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>
>> --------
>> Lenny Iszak
>> Palm City, FL
>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

philperry9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.

I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
If not...sure, keep as spare.

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>
>
> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
> Tim
>
>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>
>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>
>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>
>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>
>>> --------
>>> Lenny Iszak
>>> Palm City, FL
>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>
>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Still chasing this fluctuation and engine stumble down. I started a process today of vacuum checking fuel lines - still getting to that. But also thought I'd check induction.

Is it common to have this much fuel stain in your FAB? Wondering if something might be going on with the servo.

Blue stain is in the aft side of the filter and high up, which leads me to believe this is happening in-flight.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.

I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
> If not...sure, keep as spare.
> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>
>
>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
>> Tim
>>
>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>>
>>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>>
>>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>>
>>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>>
>>>> --------
>>>> Lenny Iszak
>>>> Palm City, FL
>>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>>
>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Quote:
>
>
>

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.01 KB
 Viewed:  10491 Time(s)

image1.JPG

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

I would suggest sending that photo and a description of your symptoms
to AFP, including how it behaved before the pump change and after;
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
Still chasing this fluctuation and engine stumble down. I started a process today of vacuum checking fuel lines - still getting to that. But also thought I'd check induction.

Is it common to have this much fuel stain in your FAB? Wondering if something might be going on with the servo.

Blue stain is in the aft side of the filter and high up, which leads me to believe this is happening in-flight.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.
>
> I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.
>
> Phil
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
>> If not...sure, keep as spare.
>> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>>
>>
>>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
>>> Tim
>>>
>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>>>
>>>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>>>
>>>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>>>
>>>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>>>
>>>> Phil
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>>>
>>>>> --------
>>>>> Lenny Iszak
>>>>> Palm City, FL
>>>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>>>
>>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

I did about 2 hours ago. We will see what he says.

I'm guessing it's uncommon?

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I would suggest sending that photo and a description of your symptoms
to AFP, including how it behaved before the pump change and after;

> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
> Still chasing this fluctuation and engine stumble down. I started a process today of vacuum checking fuel lines - still getting to that. But also thought I'd check induction.
>
> Is it common to have this much fuel stain in your FAB? Wondering if something might be going on with the servo.
>
> Blue stain is in the aft side of the filter and high up, which leads me to believe this is happening in-flight.
>
> Phil
>
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.
>>
>> I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
>>> If not...sure, keep as spare.
>>> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
>>>> Tim
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>>>>
>>>>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>>>>
>>>>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>>>>
>>>>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>>>>
>>>>> Phil
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --------
>>>>>> Lenny Iszak
>>>>>> Palm City, FL
>>>>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
> ====================================
>>>
>>>
>>>
>

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

I do not have any in my fab. Just redid my air door today. 800 hours and
not stains.

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

The thing that has me wondering is if the new pressure level is too high. I know that you can buy those pumps in higher pressure versions, which would imply that they are also made in lower pressure versions. I'm wondering which one your needs required. I watched my pressure today on a flight and it was generally 24-26psi. You said yours was over 30. I'm not sure how significant the difference is, but if the pressure was higher, I can at least comprehend that perhaps the additional pressure could cause fuel to be leaked out somewhere. Maybe that's where the blue stain came from and it's all recent? Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, it will be educational for us all, so thank you very much for sharing.
Tim

Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I did about 2 hours ago. We will see what he says.

I'm guessing it's uncommon?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I would suggest sending that photo and a description of your symptoms
> to AFP, including how it behaved before the pump change and after;
> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>
>
>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Still chasing this fluctuation and engine stumble down. I started a process today of vacuum checking fuel lines - still getting to that. But also thought I'd check induction.
>>
>> Is it common to have this much fuel stain in your FAB? Wondering if something might be going on with the servo.
>>
>> Blue stain is in the aft side of the filter and high up, which leads me to believe this is happening in-flight.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.
>>>
>>> I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
>>>> If not...sure, keep as spare.
>>>> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
>>>>> Tim
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Phil
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --------
>>>>>>> Lenny Iszak
>>>>>>> Palm City, FL
>>>>>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>> ====================================
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>
>
>

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

I had some fuel there prior to the fuel pump swap. I know that because the drain line had a blue tint.

The low pressure pump runs 4-6 psi for carbureted engines.

The model number on mine is the correct model number for the IO-540. I confirmed it from multiple online sources (Tempest, Lycoming, etc.). Also confirmed the correct model number stamped on the pump prior to installing.

Frustrating......

While I'm waiting on AFP to get back to me with some ideas, I bought some fittings and a vacuum pump to draw a vacuum on various parts of the fuel system in search for a leak.

I'd love to find a cracked flare or something like that and put this to bed.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

The thing that has me wondering is if the new pressure level is too high. I know that you can buy those pumps in higher pressure versions, which would imply that they are also made in lower pressure versions. I'm wondering which one your needs required. I watched my pressure today on a flight and it was generally 24-26psi. You said yours was over 30. I'm not sure how significant the difference is, but if the pressure was higher, I can at least comprehend that perhaps the additional pressure could cause fuel to be leaked out somewhere. Maybe that's where the blue stain came from and it's all recent? Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, it will be educational for us all, so thank you very much for sharing.
Tim

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I did about 2 hours ago. We will see what he says.
>
> I'm guessing it's uncommon?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> I would suggest sending that photo and a description of your symptoms
>> to AFP, including how it behaved before the pump change and after;
>> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>>
>>
>>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Still chasing this fluctuation and engine stumble down. I started a process today of vacuum checking fuel lines - still getting to that. But also thought I'd check induction.
>>>
>>> Is it common to have this much fuel stain in your FAB? Wondering if something might be going on with the servo.
>>>
>>> Blue stain is in the aft side of the filter and high up, which leads me to believe this is happening in-flight.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.
>>>>
>>>> I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.
>>>>
>>>> Phil
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
>>>>> If not...sure, keep as spare.
>>>>> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
>>>>>> Tim
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Phil
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> --------
>>>>>>>> Lenny Iszak
>>>>>>>> Palm City, FL
>>>>>>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>> ====================================
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

philperry9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Also confirmed in AFP documentation that inlet pressures of 20-90 psi are good.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, at 6:16 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I had some fuel there prior to the fuel pump swap. I know that because the drain line had a blue tint.

The model number on mine is the correct model number for the IO-540. I confirmed it from multiple online sources (Tempest, Lycoming, etc.). Also confirmed the correct model number stamped on the pump prior to installing.

Frustrating......

While I'm waiting on AFP to get back to me with some ideas, I bought some fittings and a vacuum pump to draw a vacuum on various parts of the fuel system in search for a leak.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> The thing that has me wondering is if the new pressure level is too high. I know that you can buy those pumps in higher pressure versions, which would imply that they are also made in lower pressure versions. I'm wondering which one your needs required. I watched my pressure today on a flight and it was generally 24-26psi. You said yours was over 30. I'm not sure how significant the difference is, but if the pressure was higher, I can at least comprehend that perhaps the additional pressure could cause fuel to be leaked out somewhere. Maybe that's where the blue stain came from and it's all recent? Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, it will be educational for us all, so thank you very much for sharing.
> Tim
>
>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> I did about 2 hours ago. We will see what he says.
>>
>> I'm guessing it's uncommon?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I would suggest sending that photo and a description of your symptoms
>>> to AFP, including how it behaved before the pump change and after;
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Still chasing this fluctuation and engine stumble down. I started a process today of vacuum checking fuel lines - still getting to that. But also thought I'd check induction.
>>>>
>>>> Is it common to have this much fuel stain in your FAB? Wondering if something might be going on with the servo.
>>>>
>>>> Blue stain is in the aft side of the filter and high up, which leads me to believe this is happening in-flight.
>>>>
>>>> Phil
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.
>>>>>
>>>>> I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.
>>>>>
>>>>> Phil
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
>>>>>> If not...sure, keep as spare.
>>>>>> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
>>>>>>> Tim
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Phil
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --------
>>>>>>>>> Lenny Iszak
>>>>>>>>> Palm City, FL
>>>>>>>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>> ====================================
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Kellym

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Interesting...well above Lycoming's spec for the Precision RSA fuel
injection unit...but that may be an area that APF "improved" over the
certified product. I agree you have the correct part number which is
used on most 4 and 6 cylinder fuel injected Lycomings. It is supposed to
have an internal valve of some sort to limit the max pressure by
bypassing some of the output back into the inlet.

On 8/12/2017 4:17 PM, Phillip Perry wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 6:16 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I had some fuel there prior to the fuel pump swap. I know that because the drain line had a blue tint.
>
> The low pressure pump runs 4-6 psi for carbureted engines.
>
> The model number on mine is the correct model number for the IO-540. I confirmed it from multiple online sources (Tempest, Lycoming, etc.). Also confirmed the correct model number stamped on the pump prior to installing.
>
> Frustrating......
>
> While I'm waiting on AFP to get back to me with some ideas, I bought some fittings and a vacuum pump to draw a vacuum on various parts of the fuel system in search for a leak.
>
> I'd love to find a cracked flare or something like that and put this to bed.
>
> Phil

kdb.rv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

I always have a fuel stain in the FAB. I think it comes from priming the engine before starting and the excess fuel runs down the intake pipes into the FAB. It leaves a blue stain there; never had in trouble from it.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, at 6:16 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Frustrating......

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> The thing that has me wondering is if the new pressure level is too high. I know that you can buy those pumps in higher pressure versions, which would imply that they are also made in lower pressure versions. I'm wondering which one your needs required. I watched my pressure today on a flight and it was generally 24-26psi. You said yours was over 30. I'm not sure how significant the difference is, but if the pressure was higher, I can at least comprehend that perhaps the additional pressure could cause fuel to be leaked out somewhere. Maybe that's where the blue stain came from and it's all recent? Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, it will be educational for us all, so thank you very much for sharing.
> Tim
>
>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> I did about 2 hours ago. We will see what he says.
>>
>> I'm guessing it's uncommon?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I would suggest sending that photo and a description of your symptoms
>>> to AFP, including how it behaved before the pump change and after;
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Still chasing this fluctuation and engine stumble down. I started a process today of vacuum checking fuel lines - still getting to that. But also thought I'd check induction.
>>>>
>>>> Is it common to have this much fuel stain in your FAB? Wondering if something might be going on with the servo.
>>>>
>>>> Blue stain is in the aft side of the filter and high up, which leads me to believe this is happening in-flight.
>>>>
>>>> Phil
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> The plan is to get it overhauled with fresh guts for sure. Then I'll make a decision between selling it or shelving it.
>>>>>
>>>>> I am like Tim. I like having spares on the shelf to pull off. But I'm not opposed to selling it after I've had it overhauled and know it's good.
>>>>>
>>>>> Phil
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Unfortunately, usually a fuel pump purchase requires returning a core.
>>>>>> If not...sure, keep as spare.
>>>>>> -sent from the I-droid implanted in my forearm
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Look at it this way. It's an emergency spare for you or someone who comes across you. Never hurts to have spares.
>>>>>>> Tim
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I know! I decided to fix both for two reasons.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> 1) There was a known leak and there's really no reason to leave a known leak in the airplane.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> 2) Because I will never know which fixed it and it helps me justify that pump!
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I do think my pump was under performing though. This new one has a lot more pressure than the original.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Phil
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Lenny Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> The problem is that if you fix that leak now you will never know if it was the pump or the leak causing the fluctuation Smile
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --------
>>>>>>>>> Lenny Iszak
>>>>>>>>> Palm City, FL
>>>>>>>>> 2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 300 hrs
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Read this topic online here:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471766#471766
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Phil, On the AFP fuel servo there is a filter screen on the input fitting. The attached photo is of the FM-200 on my rv-8.

Bob Newman
TCW Technologies, LLC
610-928-3420

Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, at 7:17 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

>
> I had some fuel there prior to the fuel pump swap. I know that because the drain line had a blue tint.
>
>
> The model number on mine is the correct model number for the IO-540. I confirmed it from multiple online sources (Tempest, Lycoming, etc.). Also confirmed the correct model number stamped on the pump prior to installing.
>
> Frustrating......
>
> While I'm waiting on AFP to get back to me with some ideas, I bought some fittings and a vacuum pump to draw a vacuum on various parts of the fuel system in search for a leak.
>
>
> Phil
>
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> The thing that has me wondering is if the new pressure level is too high. I know that you can buy those pumps in higher pressure versions, which would imply that they are also made in lower pressure versions. I'm wondering which one your needs required. I watched my pressure today on a flight and it was generally 24-26psi. You said yours was over 30. I'm not sure how significant the difference is, but if the pressure was higher, I can at least comprehend that perhaps the additional pressure could cause fuel to be leaked out somewhere. Maybe that's where the blue stain came from and it's all recent? Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, it will be educational for us all, so thank you very much for sharing.
>> Tim
>>
>>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I did about 2 hours ago. We will see what he says.
>>>

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Now with the picture.
Bob Newman
TCW Technologies, LLC
610-928-3420

Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, at 7:17 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

>
>
>
>
> Frustrating......
>
>
>
> Phil
>
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> The thing that has me wondering is if the new pressure level is too high. I know that you can buy those pumps in higher pressure versions, which would imply that they are also made in lower pressure versions. I'm wondering which one your needs required. I watched my pressure today on a flight and it was generally 24-26psi. You said yours was over 30. I'm not sure how significant the difference is, but if the pressure was higher, I can at least comprehend that perhaps the additional pressure could cause fuel to be leaked out somewhere. Maybe that's where the blue stain came from and it's all recent? Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it. And when you do, it will be educational for us all, so thank you very much for sharing.
>> Tim
>>
>>> On Aug 12, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Phillip Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I did about 2 hours ago. We will see what he says.
>>>

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.69 KB
 Viewed:  10479 Time(s)

image1.JPG

bill.peyton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Just an observation after reading this thread. I am not convinced that the pressure fluctuation and the engine stumble are related. It would seem that your pressure would have to drop below 15 psi for the engine to react. With your new pump, you are never seeing pressure that falls below an acceptable pressure for normal ops. Also, have you checked your fuel vents? Also, pull all your injector restrictions and do a clean and check. Purge the lines prior to reinstallation

Have you looked at your egts? Could it be a shorted or open plug? Have you done a lean mag test on the ground and does either mag exhibit and stumble more so than the other?

It seems to early for a sticking valve, but could be something has gotten under the seat of an intake valve which might account for the stain in the fab

Kellym

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

IMHO, doing anything with the injectors at this point would be a waste
of time and wear an tear on the injector lines. Anything in an injector
will cause a steady state lean condition, easily observable on EGT as
higher than normal. Roughness indicates a variable condition, such as
inconsistent spark, air/water in fuel, etc. Roughness after a hot start
is normal for a few minutes, due to vaporized fuel in lines.
I suppose a small item in an injector could move around, but not too
common. Also, since I know Phil has quick build wings, any debris left
in tanks would be minimal, should be caught by screens and filter in system.
Kelly

On 8/13/2017 7:49 AM, bill.peyton wrote:
Quote:

Just an observation after reading this thread. I am not convinced that the pressure fluctuation and the engine stumble are related. It would seem that your pressure would have to drop below 15 psi for the engine to react. With your new pump, you are never seeing pressure that falls below an acceptable pressure for normal ops. Also, have you checked your fuel vents? Also, pull all your injector restrictions and do a clean and check. Purge the lines prior to reinstallation

Have you looked at your egts? Could it be a shorted or open plug? Have you done a lean mag test on the ground and does either mag exhibit and stumble more so than the other?

It seems to early for a sticking valve, but could be something has gotten under the seat of an intake valve which might account for the stain in the fab

--------
Bill
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471816#471816

philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Before the fuel pump exchange - one last question Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm willing to entertain all of them.

I am working through the stuff under the seats right now, just to 100% rule it out and drive a stake any issues or doubt lingering under there.

Aside from checking screens and strainers, I'm pulling a vacuum on each segment of the fuel system and watching for a leak down on the gauge to be 100% confident there are absolutely no air leaks. At that point I can feel 100% certain all my efforts need to be focused forward if the firewall.

I hate breaking apart the system to investigate because it introduces more variables. But systematically going through the thing and putting and eyeball and wrench on everything is the only way to clear them 100%.

What I can tell you definitively right now.

1) There is no air leak in the fuel line segment between the boost pump and engine drive pump inlet.

2) The fuel filter is clear, minus a couple of small little fibers tucked into the bottom corner of one pleat. It's was good.

3) The finger strainer in the left tank is clear as the day it was installed.

Everything beyond that is speculation right now. I will continue to run out the lines on the left side after church. Then I'll move on to the right.

After vacuum testing is competed to prove no-air, I will flow test with fuel from both tanks going forward.

Then, once that's done, I'm 100% focused forward of the firewall.

At this point, the only way to get hard answers is systematically work through it piece by piece.

I'll keep you posted.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 13, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

IMHO, doing anything with the injectors at this point would be a waste of time and wear an tear on the injector lines. Anything in an injector will cause a steady state lean condition, easily observable on EGT as higher than normal. Roughness indicates a variable condition, such as inconsistent spark, air/water in fuel, etc. Roughness after a hot start is normal for a few minutes, due to vaporized fuel in lines.
I suppose a small item in an injector could move around, but not too common. Also, since I know Phil has quick build wings, any debris left in tanks would be minimal, should be caught by screens and filter in system.
Kelly

> On 8/13/2017 7:49 AM, bill.peyton wrote:
>
> Just an observation after reading this thread. I am not convinced that the pressure fluctuation and the engine stumble are related. It would seem that your pressure would have to drop below 15 psi for the engine to react. With your new pump, you are never seeing pressure that falls below an acceptable pressure for normal ops. Also, have you checked your fuel vents? Also, pull all your injector restrictions and do a clean and check. Purge the lines prior to reinstallation
> Have you looked at your egts? Could it be a shorted or open plug? Have you done a lean mag test on the ground and does either mag exhibit and stumble more so than the other?
> It seems to early for a sticking valve, but could be something has gotten under the seat of an intake valve which might account for the stain in the fab
> --------
> Bill
> WA0SYV
> Aviation Partners, LLC
> Read this topic online here:
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471816#471816

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: