Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Non-DoD Source] Re: cj6 gearbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: cj6 gearbox Reply with quote

I very much do not want to be the bearer of bad tidings. I also do not like offering advice on something that I do not have complete information on.

That said.

The air distributor that controls when and how the high pressure air is injected into the cylinders is driven through the same drive shaft that I mentioned to you regarding the timing of the mags. If this air distributor is out of adjustment in any way, the engine will not turn correctly when you apply air.

Let me be clear. I am not there. I do not see the specifics. I am not telling you anything is badly wrong.

What I am saying is that it is slightly worrisome that the engine is not turning correctly when applying air after a prop strike since the accessory drive shaft, that can twist from a prop strike, controls the air distributor as well as the mags.

Let me repeat ..... there is no cause for alarm at this point, and I am not saying the sky is falling. What I am saying is that it bothers me a tad. That's all.

Let's let the experts chime in.

Mark

Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:25 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: cj6 gearbox

I have now replaced the gearbox. All timing were checked but on start the prop turns very slowly even with 45-50 pressure in system.
Turning the prop by hand feels ok.
If the pressure drops below 30 the prop does not turn.
Any ideas..

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471934#471934

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: cj6 gearbox Reply with quote

Has the timing been properly checked since the prop strike?
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 17, 2017, at 6:30 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil> wrote:

I very much do not want to be the bearer of bad tidings. I also do not like offering advice on something that I do not have complete information on.

That said.

The air distributor that controls when and how the high pressure air is injected into the cylinders is driven through the same drive shaft that I mentioned to you regarding the timing of the mags. If this air distributor is out of adjustment in any way, the engine will not turn correctly when you apply air.

Let me be clear. I am not there. I do not see the specifics. I am not telling you anything is badly wrong.

What I am saying is that it is slightly worrisome that the engine is not turning correctly when applying air after a prop strike since the accessory drive shaft, that can twist from a prop strike, controls the air distributor as well as the mags.

Let me repeat ..... there is no cause for alarm at this point, and I am not saying the sky is falling. What I am saying is that it bothers me a tad. That's all.

Let's let the experts chime in.

Mark

Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:25 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: cj6 gearbox

I have now replaced the gearbox. All timing were checked but on start the prop turns very slowly even with 45-50 pressure in system.
Turning the prop by hand feels ok.
If the pressure drops below 30 the prop does not turn.
Any ideas..

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471934#471934

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

romaine_richard(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: cj6 gearbox Reply with quote

I am not an expert and share the concern to check the timing for previously stated reasons. If the timing checks good, slow rotation can also be your air valve sticking and not opening completely when you energize the solenoid with the cockpit start button. If you have a start valve with a manual tab, have someone hit that to see if the prop turns at the expected speed.

Standard safety disclaimer...qualified folks in the cockpit and at the firewall who know what they're doing around an engine that may start.
Rich Romaine

Jacquescj6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: cj6 gearbox Reply with quote

HI Guys
OK problem was the starter solenoid was leaking quite a bit. overalled it prop turning nicely now. Still did not want to start. Cheked shower of sparks lead was sparking nicely but when plugged in no spark at spark plug.
After two days find that the shower of spark lead was sparking inside the metal covering.
Replaced with new. She strated after two blades. mag timing checked all good
Up in the air again. Very Happy

Thanks for all the help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: