Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unusable fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Could someone please tell me what the proper attitude of an XS Mono is when determining the amount of “unusable fuel” on board?

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Fred,

I'd recommend takeoff & climb out attitude as that would be the most critical and when you'd be most likely to uncover the tank outlet.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2017, at 09:55, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:

Could someone please tell me what the proper attitude of an XS Mono is when determining the amount of “unusable fuel” on board?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Fred/Bob, That's an entirely reasonable approach since the front end fuel outlets make it the most critical attitude. However it only really applies to those who would contemplate seeing if they can take off with +/- empty tanks. It seems to me much more practicable to go with the cruise attitude, where I guess 99% of fuel starvation happens. So door sill level would be my recommendation.
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2017-08-24 18:34, Robert Borger wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)>

Fred,

I'd recommend takeoff & climb out attitude as that would be the most critical and when you'd be most likely to uncover the tank outlet.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2017, at 09:55, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)>

Could someone please tell me what the proper attitude of an XS Mono is when determining the amount of "unusable fuel" on board?

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

David,
Will that be enough petrol on board if you are on short final at an uncontrolled field and someone pulls out onto the runway and you have to go around?

Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
Geowhiziks & Doodlebugging, Inc.
Certified Petroleum Geophysicist AAPG#101
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 24, 2017, at 14:15, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Fred/Bob, That's an entirely reasonable approach since the front end fuel outlets make it the most critical attitude. However it only really applies to those who would contemplate seeing if they can take off with +/- empty tanks. It seems to me much more practicable to go with the cruise attitude, where I guess 99% of fuel starvation happens. So door sill level would be my recommendation.

Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)>

Fred,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2017, at 09:55, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)> wrote:

--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)>

Could someone please tell me what the proper attitude of an XS Mono is when determining the amount of "unusable fuel" on board?

ics.com
.com

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

My reason for raising the question is to select an attitude, after which, I will drain the “usable” fuel and proceed w/ my weighing to determine C of G.
I’m surprised to find well-reasoned yet differing opinions on this.

Fred
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, at 1:21 PM, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:
David,

Will that be enough petrol on board if you are on short final at an uncontrolled field and someone pulls out onto the runway and you have to go around?Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117

Sent from my iPad
On Aug 24, 2017, at 14:15, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Fred,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

ics.com
.com

Dave Disney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: unusable fuel Reply with quote

I thought that unusable fuel was measured when determining the empty weight of the aircraft for W&B purposes. Therefore the unusable fuel is measured with the aircraft in the level position when being weighed. Happy to be told I'm wrong (I'm used to it). Very Happy

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Imho, use the worst case, if pickups are up front then use climb attitude, if extended to rear of tank, then descending attitude Smile

Cheers,
Pete
A239

[quote] On Aug 24, 2017, at 4:39 PM, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:

My reason for raising the question is to select an attitude, after which, I will drain the “usable” fuel and proceed w/ my weighing to determine C of G.

I’m surprised to find well-reasoned yet differing opinions on this

rampil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Whether in level attitude or cruise climb, I suspect the difference
in undrainable fuel will be small, based on the square area of the
bottom of the tanks, the fore-aft length of the tanks at the bottom
and, fact that the cg is not far from the tank, and the likely rise
in the front of the tank bottom with such a change in attitude.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Bob, No of course not but I do not plan to ever be on final with anything like an empty tank! It seems to me there are two very different things here - unusable fuel and how anyone sensibly manages his fuel. Unusable fuel is pretty much what it says on the label and this side of the pond its only practical consequence was that the LAA want a figure for it and want it included in the 'ready for service' or empty weight. That apart I am all in favour of gauges telling the true figure of what fuel you have in the tank. Very few would want to work out in flight how much fuel is actually useable or not. We all surely always operate with sensible reserves. In fact a fair number of my aquaintances have never had to use the reserve tank and are rightly proud of themselves. In addition the large majority of my take offs and probably those of my friends are with a full tank - this partly because much of my flying is touring, doing longish stints, but also because I still have a lingering memory of being taught that you should always fill the tank before putting the plane away so as to discourage air cooling in the tank and depositing small amounts of water.
Regards, David

On 2017-08-24 21:21, Robert Borger wrote:
Quote:
David,

Will that be enough petrol on board if you are on short final at an uncontrolled field and someone pulls out onto the runway and you have to go around? Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117

Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Fred,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

ics.com
.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

PS. I wouldn't expect you to take EASA too seriously, but for what it is worth I have just checked their CS-VLA 959, which holds forth on the subject of unusable fuel, and it says it must be checked for each tank in the most adverse conditions likely to be encountered, so the EU is on your side! David

On 2017-08-24 23:22, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk wrote:
Quote:

Bob, No of course not but I do not plan to ever be on final with anything like an empty tank! It seems to me there are two very different things here - unusable fuel and how anyone sensibly manages his fuel. Unusable fuel is pretty much what it says on the label and this side of the pond its only practical consequence was that the LAA want a figure for it and want it included in the 'ready for service' or empty weight. That apart I am all in favour of gauges telling the true figure of what fuel you have in the tank. Very few would want to work out in flight how much fuel is actually useable or not. We all surely always operate with sensible reserves. In fact a fair number of my aquaintances have never had to use the reserve tank and are rightly proud of themselves. In addition the large majority of my take offs and probably those of my friends are with a full tank - this partly because much of my flying is touring, doing longish stints, but also because I still have a lingering memory of being taught that you should always fill the tank before putting the plane away so as to discourage air cooling in the tank and depositing small amounts of water.
Regards, David

Quote:
David,

Will that be enough petrol on board if you are on short final at an uncontrolled field and someone pulls out onto the runway and you have to go around? Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117

Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Fred,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

ics.com
.com

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

David,
It's the same for the FAA, most adverse condition.

Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 24, 2017, at 17:45, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

PS. I wouldn't expect you to take EASA too seriously, but for what it is worth I have just checked their CS-VLA 959, which holds forth on the subject of unusable fuel, and it says it must be checked for each tank in the most adverse conditions likely to be encountered, so the EU is on your side! David

On 2017-08-24 23:22, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Regards, David

Quote:
David,

Will that be enough petrol on board if you are on short final at an uncontrolled field and someone pulls out onto the runway and you have to go around?

Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Fred,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

ics.com
.com

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Wouldn’t the normal attitude of the mono, sitting on it’s main gear & tail wheel, approximate the “most adverse condition”?
Why not drain the tank w/ acft in that position and be done w/ it?

F.
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:
David,

It's the same for the FAA, most adverse condition. Best regards,
Robert Borger, President
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117

Sent from my iPad
On Aug 24, 2017, at 17:45, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-08-24 23:22, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Regards, David

Quote:
David,

Robert Borger, President
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
(C) 817-992-1117

Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Fred,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

ics.com
.com

AirEupora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: unusable fuel Reply with quote

please read FAA AC90-89A http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/D08FA9393154B636862569BA006F6D7F

Section 11, Para. 1 ,e Fuel Flow and Unusable Fuel Check. The whole AC is worth reading and as an EAA Technical Counselor for both Flight & Building I ask everybody to read it before first flight. After a number of accidents and incidents in this area I starting giving a class on first flight to the local EAA chapters. The EAA also has a book that can be downloaded.

I have attached two pictures of my plane undergoing the fuel test and unusable fuel test.

I timed the time it took for the fuel to fill the five gallon bucket then when it quit running cap the line and measure the remaining fuel. If you notice the angle was about 16 degrees or flare attitude. I think mine was about 1.5 gallons remaining.

Checking fuel flow.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  453.02 KB
 Viewed:  9881 Time(s)

Checking fuel flow.jpg

Checking fuel flow 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  454.45 KB
 Viewed:  9881 Time(s)

Checking fuel flow 2.jpg

AirEupora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: unusable fuel Reply with quote

Should have check the FAA web site before posting! AC-90-89B is current now.

Section 11, Para 1-19, e Fuel Flow (2) for unusable fuel

Hope this helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: