Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gas tank top feed hardware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

Those who are using top feed for your plastic fuel tanks: what pickup tube & tank fittings are you using?

I've got the viton  bushings, and the steel (?) right-angle inserts for the bushings, sold by LEAF & others. I need to use a tube to get to the bottom of the tank, but I'm having a brain freeze on how to do it. I took a shot at brazing a longer tube into the steel fitting, but either I've lost my skillset or it isn't steel. It *is* highly magnetic, and doesn't look like stainless, but....
Parts sources, and pics, would be welcome.
Thanks,
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

I don't recall how I managed to secure my extension, but I am sure I had to go to solder to get it done. 

Here are some pictures of what I use. My theory was that a flexible tube with a weighted filter pickup that could slosh around to where the fuel was no matter the attitude would not be a bad thing.
The little filter was from Model airplane fuel pickups. The fuel line being inside the tank has never been a problem and is still flexible and it has been there for some 20 years.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Those who are using top feed for your plastic fuel tanks: what pickup tube & tank fittings are you using?

I've got the viton  bushings, and the steel (?) right-angle inserts for the bushings, sold by LEAF & others. I need to use a tube to get to the bottom of the tank, but I'm having a brain freeze on how to do it. I took a shot at brazing a longer tube into the steel fitting, but either I've lost my skillset or it isn't steel. It *is* highly magnetic, and doesn't look like stainless, but...
Thanks,
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_4566926007430672732_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

fuel_tank_fittings.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  11590 Time(s)

fuel_tank_fittings.JPG

in_the_tank.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB

in_the_tank.JPG

pick_up.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB

pick_up.JPG

japowell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

I have the 6 gal tanks that Kolb sells and also the pickup tubes. They reach the bottom easily.

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

I agree Larry. Flexible fuel line pickups work great. Never had a problem with them on my MKII. I do think that the tubing should checked annually. And after a short time after initial installation just be sure the tubing used likes fuel.
My Firestar has a custom aluminum tank which is a bottom feeder. Works well too. Fuel system has a Facet electric pump and a pulse pump with fuel filters before and after pumps, thanks to information from those on the kolblist.
George H.
Firestar, FS 100, 1986
Have a great day!

On Aug 30, 2017, at 5:21 PM, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I don't recall how I managed to secure my extension, but I am sure I had to go to solder to get it done.

Here are some pictures of what I use. My theory was that a flexible tube with a weighted filter pickup that could slosh around to where the fuel was no matter the attitude would not be a bad thing.
The little filter was from Model airplane fuel pickups. The fuel line being inside the tank has never been a problem and is still flexible and it has been there for some 20 years.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I've got the viton bushings, and the steel (?) right-angle inserts for the bushings, sold by LEAF & others. I need to use a tube to get to the bottom of the tank, but I'm having a brain freeze on how to do it. I took a shot at brazing a longer tube into the steel fitting, but either I've lost my skillset or it isn't steel. It *is* highly magnetic, and doesn't look like stainless, but....
Thanks,
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_4566926007430672732_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

<fuel tank fittings.JPG>
<in the tank.JPG>
<pick up.JPG>

Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend Tygon fuel line only. It's resistant to all the fuels, stays flexible, and doesn't expand. On a U/L I used generic clear tubing, with a "tight" press fit inside the cap fitting.. but one day while fueling, it FELL OFF! Use spring clamps on all connections, or large diameter safety wire with a few wraps, then twisted snug. Jerry

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your responses. Very helpful in clarifying my path forward. What I have in mind is very similar to what Larry showed in the pics. Plan is to use the same blue urethane tubing that's used for the rest of the fuel system.

Larry, is your in-tank tubing 1/4" ID, like the feed to the pump(s) and engine? Do you have a link to the fuel filter? All the model filters I've been able to find are for 1/8" ID tubing. I've got some plastic inline filters for 1/4" line that I can adapt, but I'd have to add some weight to hold the filter down.

Thanks again,

Charlie

On 8/30/2017 4:21 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've got the viton  bushings, and the steel (?) right-angle inserts for the bushings, sold by LEAF & others. I need to use a tube to get to the bottom of the tank, but I'm having a brain freeze on how to do it. I took a shot at brazing a longer tube into the steel fitting, but either I've lost my skillset or it isn't steel. It *is* highly magnetic, and doesn't look like stainless, but....

Thanks,

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/In-Tank-Filter-W-Ball-Check/dp/B0055DOP6C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504146785&sr=8-3&keywords=in+tank+filters+for

here you go.
Larry 

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

On 8/30/2017 9:34 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/In-Tank-Filter-W-Ball-Check/dp/B0055DOP6C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504146785&sr=8-3&keywords=in+tank+filters+for

here you go.
Larry 

Excellent! I failed to use the 'in tank' search term, & all I got was a list of inline versions.
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

I stand corrected! All of my Tygon applications were concealed, and it's worked well with alcohol, but apparently not UV protected. I found this link for the blue tubing marketed by Bing, and AS also has the pickups shown by Larry.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/bingfuel.php
Jerry

Jerry-TS-MkII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

Correction to the correction. Tygon has MANY different formulations! Their LP-1100 is UV protected and good for 100% ethanol. However the link doesn't suggest it's use for "fuel submersible" applications. Every chain saw I own does have new Tygon lines, in both fuel and oil tanks. And it was the only thing I had found that would remain flexible in the tank, submerged, and no failures. I'd be curious to know who makes the line for Bing.

http://www.processsystems.saint-gobain.com/products/tygon-lp-1100-flexible-fuel-tubing

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: gas tank top feed hardware? Reply with quote

Well, finally gave up on the plumber's flux & went with tried & true electronics stuff. Heated the fitting & dipped it in my tin of paste flux; after that, soldering using rosin core 50/50 was uneventful. In case anyone's wondering, solder apparently can't go bad. That roll of Kester in the pic is my father's. He turned 100 last June. And it's entirely possible that he inherited it from *his* father, but there's no mfgr date on the spool.

fuel_tank_pickup_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.46 KB
 Viewed:  11562 Time(s)

fuel_tank_pickup_(Medium).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: