Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service loop length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Service loop length Reply with quote

See attached photo.For the wires running between radios in my radio stack, how much service loop do I need, 12"-ish? Less? Never having had to work behind the panel of a plane, I could use your thoughts.

Thanks,
    -- Art Z.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and bizarre typos.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

IMG_20170907_190009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  513.61 KB
 Viewed:  3640 Time(s)

IMG_20170907_190009.jpg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Service loop length Reply with quote

On 9/7/2017 7:24 PM, Art Zemon wrote:
Quote:
See attached photo.
For the wires running between radios in my radio stack, how much
service loop do I need, 12"-ish? Less? Never having had to work behind
the panel of a plane, I could use your thoughts.

Thanks,
    -- Art Z.

When you have to, you're not going to like it. Sit in the cockpit & try

to imagine what you'll do when you're trying to troubleshoot the one in
the middle of the stack.

I left enough service loop(s) length to sit the panel on the spar (low
wing), face down.

Charlie

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Service loop length Reply with quote

At 09:06 PM 9/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>

Quote:
See attached photo.
For the wires running between radios in my radio stack, how much service loop do I need, 12"-ish? Less? Never having had to work behind the panel of a plane, I could use your thoughts.

Thanks,
   -- Art Z.

When you have to, you're not going to like it. Sit in the cockpit & try to imagine what you'll do when you're trying to troubleshoot the one in the middle of the stack.

I left enough service loop(s) length to sit the panel on the spar (low wing), face down.

Did a design study with some guys at Lear
to produce one of Leon Davis's 'mini bonanzas'
a DA5 if memory serves.

We designed a radio module that would hold all
the radios that was held into the panel with
6 screws. Take out those screws and all
the radios came out together with the interface
harness terminated in a D-sub. One could take
the whole thing to the bench . . . or use an
extension harness to operate the radios out
of the panel.

This approach let us take proposals from various
suppliers or hardware to build the complete
stack with only the airplane interface wiring
dangling off the back.

Installation time on the assembly line was under
40 minutes for the whole avionics package.

Bob . . .

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Service loop length Reply with quote

Charlie & Bob,

Those are interesting ideas.... I had not considered the idea that I might remove the whole radio stack. And reading Charlie's message, I also thought of the situation where I want to add/remove a pin in one of the audio panel connectors. That would sure as heck be easier if I could pull the connector well clear of the panel.
What do you suggest I do about the shielded wires for headsets? Connect them directly to the D-sub connectors for the audio panel? Or add another connector near the audio panel so that the whole harness can be assembled outside the plane?
    -- Art Z.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:29 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

Quote:
See attached photo.
For the wires running between radios in my radio stack, how much service loop do I need, 12"-ish? Less? Never having had to work behind the panel of a plane, I could use your thoughts.

Thanks,
    -- Art Z.

When you have to, you're not going to like it. Sit in the cockpit & try to imagine what you'll do when you're trying to troubleshoot the one in the middle of the stack.

I left enough service loop(s) length to sit the panel on the spar (low wing), face down.

a DA5 if memory serves.

6 screws.  Take out those screws and all
  harness terminated in a D-sub.  One could take
  of the panel.

dangling off the back.

Bob . . .

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Service loop length Reply with quote

Art, I'll send some pictures later but on my BD-4 I have panels in the side of the fuselage forward of the instrument panel so that I can get at the back of the panel very easily and quickly. Also my panel is in three pieces: Flight instruments, radios, and right side. The flight instrument side has a small amount of service loop but if I have to take the whole panel out I usually undo from the back side first. The radio stack is all trays so no service loops.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 3:49 AM, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Quote:
Charlie & Bob,

Those are interesting ideas.... I had not considered the idea that I might remove the whole radio stack. And reading Charlie's message, I also thought of the situation where I want to add/remove a pin in one of the audio panel connectors. That would sure as heck be easier if I could pull the connector well clear of the panel.
What do you suggest I do about the shielded wires for headsets? Connect them directly to the D-sub connectors for the audio panel? Or add another connector near the audio panel so that the whole harness can be assembled outside the plane?
    -- Art Z.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:29 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

Quote:
See attached photo.

Thanks,
    -- Art Z.

a DA5 if memory serves.

6 screws.  Take out those screws and all
  harness terminated in a D-sub.  One could take
  of the panel.

dangling off the back.

Bob . . .

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: