Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying without the doors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Lamprey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Flying without the doors Reply with quote

Has anyone experimented flying a Europa without the doors? I remember reading in the Europa factory bulletin years ago that this can be done up to a limit of 100 knots. I did actually try this about 15 years ago in my mono, for about 30 minutes, and it seemed to behave OK, but was incredibly windy, with a blast of air up through the flap slot due to lower pressure in the cabin. Hairstyle took a week to recover..
I am particularly interested to know if anyone has experimented more, especially performance in the turn. A banked turn would give me a clear view of the ground for wildlife photography.
Thanks
Richard
Kenya, Classic Mono 912 UL, reg 5Y-LRY

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
dg.watts(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Flying without the doors Reply with quote

Richard,

I did this in my mono about 10 years ago for a photo shoot and it was horrible.

My daughter was flying while I took the photos and admittedly it was a nasty stormy day, but it was very noisy, very draughty and seemed quite bumpy.

There was one interesting point. On final approach, for some unknown reason, I put my hand up and held the windscreen surround about half way up. Suddenly it all went quiet and peaceful in the cockpit. By then we had both had enough and didn't want to go up again and experiment further. I suppose it explains why many cars with sunroofs have small deflectors that pop up in the airstream.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY Classic Mono 912S Airmaster 2,400 hours

Quote:
On 9 Sep 2017, at 08:59, Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone experimented flying a Europa without the doors? I remember reading in the Europa factory bulletin years ago that this can be done up to a limit of 100 knots. I did actually try this about 15 years ago in my mono, for about 30 minutes, and it seemed to behave OK, but was incredibly windy, with a blast of air up through the flap slot due to lower pressure in the cabin. Hairstyle took a week to recover..
I am particularly interested to know if anyone has experimented more, especially performance in the turn. A banked turn would give me a clear view of the ground for wildlife photography.
Thanks
Richard
Kenya, Classic Mono 912 UL, reg 5Y-LRY

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472693#472693

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

AirEupora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Flying without the doors Reply with quote

I have flown in the right seat with that window off for about fifteen minutes. At 85kts the aircraft handled nicely. Wind noise was not to bad! With headsets on. View was great.

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Flying without the doors Reply with quote

Richard, I would be more tempted to fit a clear view panel. Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2017-09-09 09:28, David Watts wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: David Watts <dg.watts(at)talktalk.net (dg.watts(at)talktalk.net)>

Richard,

I did this in my mono about 10 years ago for a photo shoot and it was horrible.

My daughter was flying while I took the photos and admittedly it was a nasty stormy day, but it was very noisy, very draughty and seemed quite bumpy.

There was one interesting point. On final approach, for some unknown reason, I put my hand up and held the windscreen surround about half way up. Suddenly it all went quiet and peaceful in the cockpit. By then we had both had enough and didn't want to go up again and experiment further. I suppose it explains why many cars with sunroofs have small deflectors that pop up in the airstream.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY Classic Mono 912S Airmaster 2,400 hoursOn 9 Sep 2017, at 08:59, Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard(at)gmail.com (lamprey.richard(at)gmail.com)> wrote: --> Europa-List message posted by: "Richard Lamprey" <lamprey.richard(at)gmail.com (lamprey.richard(at)gmail.com)> Has anyone experimented flying a Europa without the doors? I remember reading in the Europa factory bulletin years ago that this can be done up to a limit of 100 knots. I did actually try this about 15 years ago in my mono, for about 30 minutes, and it seemed to behave OK, but was incredibly windy, with a blast of air up through the flap slot due to lower pressure in the cabin. Hairstyle took a week to recover.. I am particularly interested to know if anyone has experimented more, especially performance in the turn. A banked turn would give me a clear view of the ground for wildlife photography. Thanks Richard Kenya, Classic Mono 912 UL, reg 5Y-LRY Read this topic online here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472693#472693
============= ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List ics.com .com .matronics.com/contribution
[/quote]

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Flying without the doors Reply with quote

Quote:
On Sep 9, 2017, at 1:28 AM, David Watts <dg.watts(at)talktalk.net (dg.watts(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:
There was one interesting point. On final approach, for some unknown reason, I put my hand up and held the windscreen surround about half way up. Suddenly it all went quiet and peaceful in the cockpit.

fascinating…worth exploring further I’d say...

Richard Lamprey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Flying without the doors Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, David and AirEupora,

I do have small vents each side in the side-windows, which can be removed and I can stick the lens through. Tried it yesterday, it works fine, but problem is that you cannot get the camera sweep for-aft in a tight turn to eg, capture a herd of elephants. So maybe I will have another go, and take one door off as a start.
Thanks again
Richard

Classic 912UL mono, Kenya

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: