Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rebuilding my panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stabelvej9(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Hi

I am planning to rebuild my panel this coming winter after I have been flying 700 hrs during ten years with the current configuration.
Planning to take away all vacuum and build a new panel around a Garmin G3X Touch with remote autopilot, transponder, com-radio and GPS.
Have a little challenge in planning this operation…
Cannot find an on-line tempplate for the 7” G3X, and what about the wire-harness …?
Do I build that myself, or .. ?
Would very much like to get in contact with other Europa builders who have been working with this system from Garmin.

Regards
Gert

OY-GDS - 914 - Wood-comp, and still smiling … Smile

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Gert, I am at the very end of installing just such a system - a G3X touchMFD (GDU450), a GNC255, a remote GTX 45R transponder, a GPS 25 remote certified GPS, an ADRH, two Garmin autopilot servos and a G5 as a back up for the system. The LAA previously insisted on steam age ASI & altimeter as back up but now accept the G5 as back up for those as well of course as back up horizon, VSIand GPS course. I will happily talk to you off line about it. I have been advised by Manuel Querioz who has been writing a series in the LAA magazine about constructing the ideal panel culminating in just such a selection. It all looks very pretty but I still have the commissioning and testing to do.
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2017-09-06 17:01, Gert Dalgaard Srensen wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: =?utf-8?Q?Gert_Dalgaard_S=C3=B8rensen?= <stabelvej9(at)gmail.com (stabelvej9(at)gmail.com)>

Hi

I am planning to rebuild my panel this coming winter after I have been flying 700 hrs during ten years with the current configuration.
Planning to take away all vacuum and build a new panel around a Garmin G3X Touch with remote autopilot, transponder, com-radio and GPS.
Have a little challenge in planning this operation...
Cannot find an on-line tempplate for the 7" G3X, and what about the wire-harness ...?
Would very much like to get in contact with other Europa builders who have been working with this system from Garmin.

Regards
Gert

OY-GDS - 914 - Wood-comp, and still smiling ... Smile
ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Pictures! Pictures! Smile
(please of course)
Cheers and thx,
Pete
a239

On Sep 6, 2017, at 4:11 PM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Gert, I am at the very end of installing just such a system - a G3X touchMFD (GDU450), a GNC255, a remote GTX 45R transponder, a GPS 25 remote certified GPS, an ADRH, two Garmin autopilot servos and a G5 as a back up for the system. The LAA previously insisted on steam age ASI & altimeter as back up but now accept the G5 as back up for those as well of course as back up horizon, VSIand GPS course. I will happily talk to you off line about it. I have been advised by Manuel Querioz who has been writing a series in the LAA magazine about constructing the ideal panel culminating in just such a selection. It all looks very pretty but I still have the commissioning and testing to do.

On 2017-09-06 17:01, Gert Dalgaard Sørensen wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: =?utf-8?Q?Gert_Dalgaard_S=C3=B8rensen?= <stabelvej9(at)gmail.com (stabelvej9(at)gmail.com)>

Hi

Cannot find an on-line tempplate for the 7" G3X, and what about the wire-harness ...?

Regards
Gert

ics.com
.com

stabelvej9(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Hi David
That is exactly the package I plan for!
Q: where did you buy, and do you have a list over the different components needed for doing the installation?
Did you build the harness yourself?

Regards Gert

NB and as Pete said, pictures please Smile))

Quote:
Den 7. sep. 2017 kl. 01.15 skrev Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)>:

(please of course)

Cheers and thx,
Pete
a239
On Sep 6, 2017, at 4:11 PM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi

Regards
Gert

ics.com
.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Pete, A preliminary picture - not set up yet - still thinking I am in US (although it has worked that one out now). My old 496 kept for sentiments sake and because plenty of room on panel. Incidentally my new Beringer brake system also shown.

On 2017-09-07 00:15, Pete wrote:
Quote:

(please of course)

Cheers and thx,
Pete
a239
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi

Regards
Gert

ics.com
.com

P1020063.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.7 MB
 Viewed:  13102 Time(s)

P1020063.JPG

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Looks great! Did the G5 give any issues since the panel is canted in relation to the direction of travel? Can it be calibrated to accommodate? Im also curious what the G3x does without engine instruments, is it just missing from the menus?
Cheers and thx,
Pete
A239

On Sep 7, 2017, at 4:36 AM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Pete, A preliminary picture - not set up yet - still thinking I am in US (although it has worked that one out now). My old 496 kept for sentiments sake and because plenty of room on panel. Incidentally my new Beringer brake system also shown.

Quote:

(please of course)

Cheers and thx,
Pete
a239

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi

Regards
Gert

ics.com
.com

<P1020063.JPG>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Pete, I can only answer your first question when I have flown it, but there is I believe a setting up whilst straight & level for the G5 and it is on a Can bus with the G3X system and subservient to that whilst it is switched on so I do not anticipate problems of that sort. The G3X needs an extra module to give all engine data and has to be set up to display it. I positively did not want that, preferring to keep my engine data separately, with purpose designed warning system and not cluttering my EFIS.
Regards, David

On 2017-09-07 18:51, Pete wrote:
Quote:

Looks great! Did the G5 give any issues since the panel is canted in relation to the direction of travel? Can it be calibrated to accommodate? Im also curious what the G3x does without engine instruments, is it just missing from the menus?

Cheers and thx,
Pete
A239
On Sep 7, 2017, at 4:36 AM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

(please of course)

Cheers and thx,
Pete
a239
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi

Regards
Gert

ics.com
.com

<P1020063.JPG>

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Thx, looks great!
(And do please keep us posted with all your installation experiences Smile
Cheers and thx,
Pete
A239

On Sep 7, 2017, at 2:03 PM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Pete, I can only answer your first question when I have flown it, but there is I believe a setting up whilst straight & level for the G5 and it is on a Can bus with the G3X system and subservient to that whilst it is switched on so I do not anticipate problems of that sort. The G3X needs an extra module to give all engine data and has to be set up to display it. I positively did not want that, preferring to keep my engine data separately, with purpose designed warning system and not cluttering my EFIS.
Regards, David

On 2017-09-07 18:51, Pete wrote:
Quote:

Cheers and thx,
Pete
A239

Quote:

Quote:

(please of course)

Cheers and thx,
Pete
a239

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi

Regards
Gert

ics.com
.com

<P1020063.JPG>

Matt Dovey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my panel on my tri-gear classic over the winter. Hope to fit the Garmin G3X with a G5 as back up. But this dependant on price. Just waiting for Adams Aviation to get back to me with a quote. I intend to add auto pilot at another point. I might be fitting a second hand GNC 255 Nav/Comm to replace my Trig TY91.
Would also be interested in hear about peoples experiences in panel upgrades.
I'll not sure what to aim for if Garmin work out to expensive. People are warning me off of MGL. Any thoughts on MGL. Also been told Grand Rapids are very good

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Hey Matt, have you thought about dynon?

IMGA0980.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.03 KB
 Viewed:  13016 Time(s)

IMGA0980.JPG

Matt Dovey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Hi, I've not been very impressed with Dynon. My friend is on his 4th Skyview screen. Returned one screen before the aircraft flew and another during test flying. The other two since then.
Had the quote through from Adams Aviation today for the Garmin G3X and G5.
Sensors for a Rotax and all the other items for fitting £5,489 with out VAT. Mad
That's a far chunk of cash. I'll have a look for alternatives I think.

Burrilla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Have a look at Kanardia. You can source from LX Avionics.

I'm interested in horizon and emsis with conventional asi, alt and vsi which will replace an aging (and heavy) GRT hoizen and ems.

Should save me a few pounds in weight and reduce my base electrical load significantly allowing room for a pitot heater and secondary instruments should I decide on the IR route the future.

Alan
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 11 Sep 2017, at 19:16, Matt Dovey <mattdovey(at)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Hi, I've not been very impressed with Dynon. My friend is on his 4th Skyview screen. Returned one screen before the aircraft flew and another during test flying. The other two since then.
Sensors for a Rotax and all the other items for fitting £5,489 with out VAT. Mad

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472799#472799

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Had no problem with the Lite Explorer MGL. Fits well within the panel. One can redesign the screen presentation to suit your own requirements. The RDAC I installed aft of firewall to keep away from engine heat and contamination. Very well priced and equiped with all the information needed plus more. Has been reliable and easy to install.
Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Mob +64 210640221
Quote:
On 12/09/2017, at 6:16 AM, Matt Dovey <mattdovey(at)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

N6ZY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

I can recommend GRT Avionics. Great support and less expensive.

Jerry Fisher
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, at 2:16 PM, Matt Dovey <mattdovey(at)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

willydewey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Anyone on this tack tried the iLevil in a EuropaXS ?
Where to mount it and what results obtained in flight.
I understand it transmits wirelessly to an Ipad or Andrid device.
Not over enamoured with these screens due to reflection issues

christoph.both(at)acadiau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

GRT since 5 years. Work great, affordable and good customer support.
Christoph Both
#223 Wolfville Nova Scotia, Canada
On 2017-09-11, 21:28, "owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of Jeremy Fisher" <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of jffisher(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I can recommend GRT Avionics. Great support and less expensive.

Jerry Fisher
> On Sep 11, 2017, at 2:16 PM, Matt Dovey <mattdovey(at)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi, I've not been very impressed with Dynon. My friend is on his 4th Skyview screen. Returned one screen before the aircraft flew and another during test flying. The other two since then.
> Had the quote through from Adams Aviation today for the Garmin G3X and G5.
> Sensors for a Rotax and all the other items for fitting £5,489 with out VAT. Mad
> That's a far chunk of cash. I'll have a look for alternatives I think.
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472799#472799
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

When evaluating EFIS systems, be sure to look at the availability and cost of data upgrades. You may find large differences.

Jim Butcher

Matt Dovey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my panel Reply with quote

Been doing a bit of research and came across this company http://www.valavionics.com/ , affordable VOR/GS/LOC. Looks like something else that's going to get fitted over the winter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: