Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Pass Engine Sputter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Low Pass Engine Sputter Reply with quote

I suggest possible carburetor icing. Most of us never consider that possibility. But it CAN happen even though the window for carb icing with a pressure carb is very small. Ironically, having experienced the same symptom twice doing a low pass/fly-by with hard pitch up, I could not find a single problem with the engine each time.

Dennis

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 6:21 AM
Subject: Re: Low Pass Engine Sputter

Hi,

Interesting subject as on my last display with my Yak 50 had the same experience. Was to fly a Display to celebrate opening of a new Museum at an old abandoned WW II German Airstrip here in Norway. After take-off from my base its only 10 minutes flight time to where the display took place. After take-off I kept Aerobatic power setting and all the way. Display started and lasted 10-12 min. On the last "low-pass" 400+ km/t and 200 feet the engine made a, in my opinion Misfire. I pulled up and gained 1500 feet to sort the shit out. As I like to see out the cockpit on low passes I did,t see on the fuel pressure gauges when the "misfired" happened. Did that on the climb out and all gauges where Normal. Can't remember my Cylinder temp, but I am sure it was in the green arc, the Gills was fully open and around 10c' outside temp. I circled overhead the old German Airstrip and prepared an emergency landing if the engine went quiet. It did run stable, but a little rough so I sat course back home and landed safely. Back at base I did a leak check on all cylinders, checked for leaks on fuel system, checked all filters, Have not checked fuel vent yet(shall do that) Since the ignition system is original I have decide to replace with Auto Ignition Kit, and new magnetos. For the moment I suspect the ignition to be my source of wake up during the low-pass:-)
Kind Regards
Havard
Norway

2017-09-09 0:38 GMT+02:00 Adrian Hale <coolade2(at)gmail.com (coolade2(at)gmail.com)>:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: Adrian Hale <coolade2(at)gmail.com (coolade2(at)gmail.com)>

My Yaks never did this but my good friend had the exact problem you describe we were told that 25w60 would cause it-- made no sense to me as an engineer but we went back to shell 120 and the problem went away.

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 8, 2017, at 12:32 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)> wrote:
>
> --> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>
>
> Oh darn. I'm sorry. The message was from Bill Geipel.  Disregard.
>
> --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
bmsim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Low Pass Engine Sputter Reply with quote

Update:

Flew several hours this weekend, no low approaches, and she ran like a top. After doing a good bit of pattern work to make certain things were stable, I took her up and put her through the paces - she was very happy about it and purred along like she should.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions, I'm looking into all of them:
1. Possible icing
2. Oil
3. Sticking valve (add Mystery Oil)

I'll post updates as I have them, but with this hurricane coming in I'm afraid it may be a bit!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

romaine_richard(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Low Pass Engine Sputter Reply with quote

Is there something in that a diving entry, low pass is a longer max inlet pressure (high dynamic ram and ambient pressure), high load event than the aerobatics?

Something that can tolerate a transient but not the sustained pass followed by a pull up?
In the humid DC area, my carb icing has been worst on climbout after running too long on ground...have seen the condensation on the carb after immediate return and shutdown.

Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: