Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bent leg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irwillis(at)btopenworld.c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Bent leg Reply with quote

Hi,
Following a heavy landing my aircraft has a bent main wheel leg. About 1.5 inches.
I am getting conflicting opinions as to the best way to jack up and remove the leg.
All thoughts welcome.
Thanks.

Ian

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Bent leg Reply with quote

Ian, I found myself helping in France when one of the group had a puncture in his trigear (and I assume that is what you are talking about). We found it a satisfactory way to get the tire off to get one strong person to get under the (offending) wing tip and push up with his back whilst someone but a padded trestle under the middle of the wing. Being a mono driver/builder, I am not at all clear how much clearance you need under the wheel to slide the the leg out, but you could increase that clearance by having pulled the other wheel up onto a block first and/or removing the wheel. Alternatively if you have access to an engine hoist you can suspend the aircraft by straps around the inlet manifolds (a technique I use on my mono) with a trestle under the rear fuselage.
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2017-09-13 20:08, Ian Willis wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Ian Willis <irwillis(at)btopenworld.com (irwillis(at)btopenworld.com)>

Hi,
Following a heavy landing my aircraft has a bent main wheel leg. About 1.5 inches.
I am getting conflicting opinions as to the best way to jack up and remove the leg.
All thoughts welcome
Thanks.

Ian
ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Burrilla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Bent leg Reply with quote

I had to remove a gear leg last year - long story.

I placed a 4x4 piece of timber, suitable padded, as close to the legs as possible along the width of the fuselage and jacked up with two bottle jacks. You might need to use a couple of pieces of hardwood, or metal plates, to stop the heads of the bottle jacks sinking into the 4x4.

I tied the nose wheel down so it was not going to rock.

I then used two axle stands, you need the tallest possible, under the ends of the 4x4 to support and stabilise. Both wheels off the deck.

Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 13 Sep 2017, at 20:08, Ian Willis <irwillis(at)btopenworld.com> wrote:

Hi,
All thoughts welcome.
Thanks.

Ian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: