Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATF denies Nanchang import

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twvandusen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: ATF denies Nanchang import Reply with quote

I need some help.

In June I bought a Nanchang out of Canada.  My DAR required me to get ATF approval for the import.  After six weeks they informed me that they denied my request. They quoted some CFRs which say that imports from China were not allowed.  
Now I own a very pretty paperweight.

Two questions;
1.  Does an import from Canada require ATF approval?
2.  What options do I have?
Thom

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
hess737(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: ATF denies Nanchang import Reply with quote

Thom
I know for exports the Nanchang and Yak are exempt. I believe the import is the same. Review the ATF military import requirements. Heck, if imports from China were illegal then half the companies in the US would go out of business!

Richard Hess
C 404-964-4885

Quote:
On Sep 20, 2017, at 11:17 PM, Thomas Van Dusen <twvandusen(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I need some help.

In June I bought a Nanchang out of Canada. My DAR required me to get ATF approval for the import. After six weeks they informed me that they denied my request. They quoted some CFRs which say that imports from China were not allowed.

Two questions;

1. Does an import from Canada require ATF approval?
2. What options do I have?

Thom

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: ATF denies Nanchang import Reply with quote

Hi Thom;

I don’t know anything about the ATF but I can assure you that your CJ6 is not the first to be imported into the US from Canada.
One of the four I imported (to Canada) in 1993 was subsequently purchased and imported (into the US) by a gentleman in Los Angeles. I don’t think it would be
appropriate for me to give his name here but he is still actively flying it and (I believe) monitors this List.

Walt

Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:17 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: ATF denies Nanchang import

I need some help.
In June I bought a Nanchang out of Canada. My DAR required me to get ATF approval for the import. After six weeks they informed me that they denied my request. They quoted some CFRs which say that imports from China were not allowed.

Two questions;

1. Does an import from Canada require ATF approval?
2. What options do I have?

Thom

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: ATF denies Nanchang import Reply with quote

I would offer that one of your best bets is to contact the EAA's Government Representative, and by the way ... become an EAA member in the process, if you are not already.

This is the kind of thing that they are there for, and from personal experience I can tell you that they are extremely cooperative and professional folks that can right to the right place to help you.

By the way, the first thing I would have done would be to get a different DAR. The ATF will say "no" to just about anything.

Mark
--

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: ATF denies Nanchang import Reply with quote

"can take you to the right place to help you"

Failed to proof read, sorry.

Mark
--

twvandusen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: ATF denies Nanchang import Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.  I'll contact them.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV NAVAIR, WD" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>

"can take you to the right place to help you"

Failed to proof read, sorry.

Mark

--

twvandusen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: ATF denies Nanchang import Reply with quote

Thanks Walt.  Nice to know that there is still hope.
Thom
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Thom;

I don’t know anything about the ATF but I can assure you that your CJ6 is not the first to be imported into the US from Canada.
One of the four I imported (to Canada) in 1993 was subsequently purchased and imported (into the US) by a gentleman in Los Angeles.  I don’t think it would be
appropriate for me to give his name here but he is still actively flying it and (I believe) monitors this List.

Walt

Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:17 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: ATF denies Nanchang import

I need some help.  
In June I bought a Nanchang out of Canada.  My DAR required me to get ATF approval for the import.  After six weeks they informed me that they denied my request. They quoted some CFRs which say that imports from China were not allowed. 

Two questions;

1.  Does an import from Canada require ATF approval?
2.  What options do I have?

Thom

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_2097207906416190588_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: