Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty.jpm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

Hi!

Could any YAK 52 driver kindly remind me the official emergency procedure to gear down in case of full pressure loss in the normal circuit, please?
Thank you in advance! 😊
Marty
France

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
nigel.willson(at)yakdispl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

Both gear selectors to neutral. Open emergency air valve. Do not use flaps since this will use emergency air that could be used for braking.

Regards,
Nigel Willson
Flying Instructor & Examiner | Airshow Organiser | Display Pilot
http://yakdisplay. com

Tel. 07809 116676

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 - powered by Three

-------- Original message --------
Date: 24/09/2017 09:51 (GMT+00:00)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Yak-List: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Hi!

Could any YAK 52 driver kindly remind me the official emergency procedure to gear down in case of full pressure loss in the normal circuit, please?
Thank you in advance! 😊
Marty
France

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

FYI - Flaps do not work from the emergency air system. If you doubt this to be true, then test it the next time you have the airplane on jacks doing a gear retraction/extension test when doing the emergency gear extension test.
With the rear gear selector in the neutral position and the main air valve closed, once you place the front gear selector in neutral, all the residual air pressure in the system forward of the main air valve, is depleted. Then open the emergency air valve to extend the gear. Now attempt to put the flaps down.

Dennis

Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:52 AM
Subject: Re: Yak-List: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Both gear selectors to neutral. Open emergency air valve. Do not use flaps since this will use emergency air that could be used for braking.

Regards,
Nigel Willson

Tel. 07809 116676

Subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down
Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

I tried posting a copy of the Yak 52 POH to the Yak list, but Matronics rejected it even though it was a .pdf file. I emailed the POH directly to Marty since the procedure he was asking for is in the POH, (in case he doesn't have one).
Dennis

Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:55 AM

Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊
Marty
France

marty.jpm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

Indeed I don't doubt  😊 I already saw what you described.

Back to the procedure in flight, the selectors on neutral position + activation of the emergency valve are enough to provoke the emergency gear down? Or does one have to pull down the front selector as well?
Le 24 sept. 2017 13:06, "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> a écrit :
Quote:
FYI - Flaps do not work from the emergency air system.  If you doubt this to be true, then test it the next time you have the airplane on jacks doing a gear retraction/extension test when doing the emergency gear extension test.
With the rear gear selector in the neutral position and the main air valve closed, once you place the front gear selector in neutral, all the residual air pressure in the system forward of the main air valve, is depleted.  Then open the emergency air valve to extend the gear.  Now attempt to put the flaps down. 

Dennis
From: Nigel Willson <nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com (nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com)>
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Regards,
Nigel Willson

Tel. 07809 116676

From: Jean-Philippe Martel <marty.jpm(at)gmail.com (marty.jpm(at)gmail.com)>
Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

Ernie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

On CJ, emergency air does supply flaps and brakes.
Ernie

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 7:06 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:
FYI - Flaps do not work from the emergency air system.  If you doubt this to be true, then test it the next time you have the airplane on jacks doing a gear retraction/extension test when doing the emergency gear extension test.
With the rear gear selector in the neutral position and the main air valve closed, once you place the front gear selector in neutral, all the residual air pressure in the system forward of the main air valve, is depleted.  Then open the emergency air valve to extend the gear.  Now attempt to put the flaps down. 

Dennis

From: Nigel Willson <nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com (nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com)>
Subject: Re: Yak-List: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Regards,
Nigel Willson

Tel. 07809 116676

Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

Yes, that's true. But on the 52 it does not.

Dennis

Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 9:08 AM

On CJ, emergency air does supply flaps and brakes.

Ernie
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 7:06 AM A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:
FYI - Flaps do not work from the emergency air system. If you doubt this to be true, then test it the next time you have the airplane on jacks doing a gear retraction/extension test when doing the emergency gear extension test.

With the rear gear selector in the neutral position and the main air valve closed, once you place the front gear selector in neutral, all the residual air pressure in the system forward of the main air valve, is depleted. Then open the emergency air valve to extend the gear. Now attempt to put the flaps down.
Dennis
From: Nigel Willson <nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com (nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com)> To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:52 AM Subject: Re: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Regards,
Nigel Willson

Tel. 07809 116676

Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

No, you do not move the gear selector after you place it in neutral. The emergency air system is designed to extend the gear without the movement of the front gear selector. The emergency system is totally independent of the main air system and the gear selectors.

After you have extended the gear with the emergency system, th time to move the front gear selector back to the DOWN position is after you have parked the airplane and shut the engine down.
Dennis

Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 8:43 AM

Indeed I don't doubt 😊 I already saw what you described.
Back to the procedure in flight, the selectors on neutral position + activation of the emergency valve are enough to provoke the emergency gear down? Or does one have to pull down the front selector as well?

Le 24 sept. 2017 13:06, "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> a écrit :
Quote:

Dennis

From: Nigel Willson <nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com (nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com)> To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:52 AM Subject: Re: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Regards,
Nigel Willson
[i]Flying Instructor & Examiner | Airsh3901238792082250297yiv2214189677MsoNormal">http://yakdisplay. com

Tel. 07809 116676

Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

Hi Dennis;

Is there some provision in the Yak 52 POH that prohibits movement of the gear selector to “down” after an emergency down operation?

Of course every licensed and qualified CJ and Yak pilot thoroughly understands that the emergency gear down operation completely by-passes the gear selectors
and directs emerg. air directly to the down side of the actuators. They know this due to their enormous diligence in understanding their aircraft!

Moving the temporarily inoperable gear selector to the down postition is called “good housekeeping”, probably because that is were it ’supposed to be during
landing.

Cheers;
Walt

From: A. Dennis Savarese (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 9:49 AM

No, you do not move the gear selector after you place it in neutral. The emergency air system is designed to extend the gear without the movement of the front gear selector. The emergency system is totally independent of the main air system and the gear selectors.

After you have extended the gear with the emergency system, th time to move the front gear selector back to the DOWN position is after you have parked the airplane and shut the engine down.
Dennis

Le 24 sept. 2017 13:06, "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> a écrit :
Quote:

Dennis

From: Nigel Willson <nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com (nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com)>To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:52 AMSubject: Re: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Regards,
Nigel Willson
Flying Instructor & Examiner | Airsh3901238792082250297yiv2214189677MsoNormal">http://yakdisplay. com

Tel. 07809 116676

Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

Hi Walt,
Actually, no there isn't any reason not to move the gear selector to the down position. I prefer not to tell someone to go ahead and do it because you know how these highly qualified Yak and CJ pilots are.. They will say "well, Dennis told me I should put the gear selector down" when in actuality, all I would ever say is, "it doesn't matter". The question that was posed on the Yak list was, "do I have to move the gear selector to the down position after I open the emergency air valve to get the gear to come down?" Now that type of question demonstrates to you and I how highly qualified the person who asked the question is in his Yak or CJ.

In my mind when there is a high stress situation in the cockpit, I like to emphasize the KISS method of doing things. You know, "keep it simple, stupid". If the pilot waits until he has taxied in and shuts down the engine, then he can do his housekeeping without any undo stress. At least that is my way of thinking.
All the best,
Dennis

Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 1:34 PM

Hi Dennis;

Is there some provision in the Yak 52 POH that prohibits movement of the gear selector to “down” after an emergency down operation?

Of course every licensed and qualified CJ and Yak pilot thoroughly understands that the emergency gear down operation completely by-passes the gear selectors
and directs emerg. air directly to the down side of the actuators. They know this due to their enormous diligence in understanding their aircraft!

Moving the temporarily inoperable gear selector to the down postition is called “good housekeeping”, probably because that is were it ’supposed to be during
landing.

Cheers;
Walt

From: A. Dennis Savarese (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 9:49 AM

Dennis

From: Jean-Philippe Martel <marty.jpm(at)gmail.com>To: yak-list(at)matronics.com Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 8:43 AMSubject: Re: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Quote:

Dennis

From: Nigel Willson <nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com (nigel.willson(at)yakdisplay.com)>To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:52 AMSubject: Re: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down

Regards,
Nigel Willson
Flying Instructor & Examiner | Airsh3901238792082250297yiv2214189677MsoNormal">http://yakdisplay. com

Tel. 07809 116676

Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

Virus-free. www.avast.com

marty.jpm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: YAK 52 - Procedure for emergency gear down Reply with quote

Dennis,
thanks for your answer that fully complies with the version I was taught here in Europe. Unfortunately, the English translation of the Russian DOSAAF POH that we get with our G-registered machines does not mention the emergency procedure for gear extension. Incredible but true. ANd there are always some fellows who promote their own "tricks" ... Good to know but not to follow.
And having a look at the exchanges in some forums, I note that the topic of the position of the gear selector (before, during and after ...) always provokes a lot of comments; more or less relevant ... let's stick to the official version!
Now it's time for me to make an appointment with my workshop in order to change both valves.
All the best!
Jean-Philippe "Marty"
France
2017-09-24 18:49 GMT+02:00 A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>:
Quote:
No, you do not move the gear selector after you place it in neutral.  The emergency air system is designed to extend the gear without the movement of the front gear selector.  The emergency system is totally independent of the main air system and the gear selectors.

Dennis 

Indeed I don't doubt  😊 I already saw what you described.

Le 24 sept. 2017 13:06, "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> a écrit :
Quote:

Dennis

Regards,
Nigel Willson

Tel. 07809 116676

Hi!

Thank you in advance! 😊

Marty
France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: