Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turning propeller backwards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Turning propeller backwards Reply with quote

What if someone's been turning my propeller/Rotax 912ULS backwards through several revolutions? I know in that case oil would be "sucked" out of the hydraulic tappets and damage would/could be caused to the valve train.

Would I hear clattering on engine start and would the noise continue? Or after initial clattering, would the tappets fill within a few minutes and the clattering disappear? The trouble is that someone else did the first start and he didn't report unusual noises.

The engine has subsequently run for two hours including four flights. Should I now undertake investigations for damage and if so, what should I be doing to put this worry behind me? Rocker covers off and look at valve spring caps? Check magnetic plug? Prime the oil system again to purge air out of the tappets?

Your advice would be very welcome, thanks.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Turning propeller backwards Reply with quote

Maybe put the question to the RotaxEngines list?
On 11/5/2017 2:37 AM, jonathanmilbank wrote:
Quote:

What if someone's been turning my propeller/Rotax 912ULS backwards through several revolutions? I know in that case oil will be "sucked" out of the hydraulic tappets and damage would/could be caused to the valve train.

Would I hear clattering on engine start and would the noise continue? Or after initial clattering, would the tappets fill within a few minutes and the clattering disappear? The trouble is that someone else did the first start and he didn't report unusual noises.

The engine has subsequently run for two hours including four flights. Should I now undertake investigations for damage and if so, what should I be doing to put this worry behind me? Rocker covers off and look at valve spring caps? Check magnetic plug? Prime the oil system again to purge air out of the tappets?

Your advice would be very welcome, thanks.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Turning propeller backwards Reply with quote

Jan,
Go to Rotax-Owner.com and under support/bulletins you’ll find Engine Manuals. Find the installation, operators and maintenance manuals and download them. In there you’ll find information on how to check your valve train for entrained air and check for any damage.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
[quote]On Nov 5, 2017, at 1:51 AM, Jan de Jong <jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl (jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Jan de Jong <jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl (jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl)>Maybe put the question to the RotaxEngines list?On 11/5/2017 2:37 AM, jonathanmilbank wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "jonathanmilbank" <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk (jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk)>What if someone's been turning my propeller/Rotax 912ULS backwards through several revolutions? I know in that case oil will be "sucked" out of the hydraulic tappets and damage would/could be caused to the valve train.Would I hear clattering on engine start and would the noise continue? Or after initial clattering, would the tappets fill within a few minutes and the clattering disappear? The trouble is that someone else did the first start and he didn't report unusual noises.The engine has subsequently run for two hours including four flights. Should I now undertake investigations for damage and if so, what should I be doing to put this worry behind me? Rocker covers off and look at valve spring caps? Check magnetic plug? Prime the oil system again to purge air out of the tappets?Your advice would be very welcome, thanks.http://wiki.matronics.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: