Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing support dolly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firestar503

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------
Hi Kolbers,

Over the years I’ve seen several ideas posted for permanent cradles for mounting the wings and tail on castor wheels for easy moving about when folded or partially folded. Does anyone have plans, pictures or know where the subject can be researched?
Thanks,
JonL
Firestar II

The Kolb-List Email Forum -
Navigator to browse
List Un/Subscription,
7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
    - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
via the Web Forums!
    - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
Email List Wiki!
  - List Contribution Web Site -
support!

-Matt Dralle, List Admin.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
RoHam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

I have this one photo of a boom/wing caster assembly. I'd like to see a tailwheel hook for moving the plane when the wings are folded.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

18527851_1687356057942061_5267761872095677092_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.85 KB
 Viewed:  9193 Time(s)

18527851_1687356057942061_5267761872095677092_n.jpg

RoHam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

A buddy of mine uses these cradles that he purchased at Harbor Freight for short money. He has one also on tail wheel, which allows for movement in any direction. Sorry for large photo. I'm not sure how to shrink it.

20170910_143822.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.5 MB
 Viewed:  9185 Time(s)

20170910_143822.jpg

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

Vince designed this for his FSII, we are using it on the FF, and it works good. A little explanation is in order: the two 1x4's lay on either side of the lower fin, and above the tail wheel, including above the arms that come out at the base of the rudder. The rest of it extends foreward so that the 2x4 with the castors on it is about even with the forward end of the vertical fin.
Notice the rope that goes through one of the 1x4's about half way along: the rope goes through the opening just behind the aft fuselage ring where the elevator and rudder horns are, goes down to below the lower fin, and back up where it is passed through the rope loop and tied off to secure that section.
Up at the front end, there is carpet to pad things, you also lay carpet over the boom tube and tie that all together with a rope wrapped around it.
The two ends of the 1x4's stick out the back beyond the rudder a bit and you can use them to pick up the tail of the airplane or guide it around. The aft ends of the 1x4's have carpet padding on the inside to protect the fabric on the lower fin and the rudder.
It is a bit tricky to get it in place the first few times, especially by yourself, but it works good once the airplane is tied to it. And when you fold the wings, it keeps the leading edges up away from the ground.
You do want to have the horizontal stab tied up alongside the vertical fin before you start trying to get the dolly into position.

P1060433 (Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.27 KB
 Viewed:  9151 Time(s)

P1060433 (Medium).JPG

P1060432 (Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.7 KB

P1060432 (Medium).JPG

P1060431 (Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  206.65 KB

P1060431 (Medium).JPG

P1060430 (Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  213.96 KB

P1060430 (Medium).JPG

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

RoHam wrote:
<snip> Sorry for large photo. I'm not sure how to shrink it.

No problem, apparently Windows 10 no longer includes the ability to resize pictures, so you are not alone.
Fortunately there is a (free) fantastic user friendly image program that will do that and about everything else:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
woody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

I don't have plans, but I have a fine boom dolly that I put together a few years back. I don't have a picture available but will take some, along with measurements when I get over to my hanger, tomorrow I hope. Cool

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is what I built a long time ago. The second picture shows it being built and before paint and upholstery. The round hinged tube is an 8” diameter PVC water pipe given to me by our local water department. (They give away short pieces). The wing supports rock back and forth to allow for full support of the leading edge. The wheels are Harbor Freights. The upholstery is heavy duty fabric, foam and a hot glue gun.

Mike Welch

[img]cid:EACD94F7-0D41-450F-B533-5D1ADF6CC3DF[/img]

[img]cid:E2E26A45-2B5D-42E8-B1CB-A234EC6B7C46[/img]

Mike Welch

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  834.17 KB
 Viewed:  9017 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  826.61 KB

image2.jpeg

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

I made these for the front wheels.

Mike W.

[img]cid:3AA0F59F-F2C7-4085-8A27-F351E220A02A[/img]

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  638.52 KB

image1.jpeg

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is what I built a long time ago. The second picture shows it being built and before paint and upholstery. The round hinged tube is an 8” diameter PVC water pipe given to me by our local water department. (They give away short pieces). The wing supports rock back and forth to allow for full support of the leading edge. The wheels are Harbor Freights. The upholstery is heavy duty fabric, foam and a hot glue gun.

Mike Welch

[img]cid:EACD94F7-0D41-450F-B533-5D1ADF6CC3DF[/img]

[img]cid:E2E26A45-2B5D-42E8-B1CB-A234EC6B7C46[/img]

Mike Welch

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  834.17 KB

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  826.61 KB

image2.jpeg

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Wing support dolly Reply with quote

That's pretty darn nice !!!!

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Thu, 11/16/17, Mike <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Re: Wing support dolly
To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Thursday, November 16, 2017, 11:42 AM

Here is what I built a long time ago.  The second
picture shows it being built and before paint and
upholstery.  The round hinged tube is an 8” diameter
PVC water pipe given to me by our local water department.
 (They give away short pieces).  The wing
supports rock back and forth to allow for full support of
the leading edge.  The wheels are Harbor Freights.
 The upholstery is heavy duty fabric, foam and a hot
glue gun.

Mike Welch

Mike Welch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: