Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil temp gauge???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbsoar(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Oil temp gauge??? Reply with quote

Group-The Yak 55M we are working on has an oil temperature gauge with a needle that won't "jump," when the engine instruments are turned on.
The fuel pressure and oil pressure gauge needles "jump,' or move a little bit, when the engine instrument switch is turned on.  
Is this normal?  I do have power going to the gauge.  Do I have a faulty instrument?
Thank you.
John B

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Oil temp gauge??? Reply with quote

The obvious question here is what does it read when the engine is running and warmed up.

The fuel pressure and oil pressure sending units are of the same design type. Not interchangeable of course, but the same design. The oil temp probe design is the same as the carb air temp probe, and something in the back of my mind says that those two may even be interchangeable. I'd have to go check part numbers, but it rings a distant bell. In any case, with different sending unit designs the action of the indicator on power up may be different. But I would offer that if it reads correctly it does not matter at all if the needle happens to flick up when applying power or not. If you are that worried about it working correctly, pull the oil temp probe and stick it in a pot of boiling water. It should read 100 degrees centigrade.

Mark

Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:30 PM
To: Yak-List Digest Server
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Oil temp gauge???

Group-
The Yak 55M we are working on has an oil temperature gauge with a needle that won't "jump," when the engine instruments are turned on.
The fuel pressure and oil pressure gauge needles "jump,' or move a little bit, when the engine instrument switch is turned on.
Is this normal? I do have power going to the gauge. Do I have a faulty instrument?

Thank you.
John B

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: