Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MkII....project...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbgh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: MkII....project... Reply with quote

All
I have located a MkII project. My experience has been with MkIII,Fireflys and a Slingshot..

Never flew the Slingshot and likely that was a good thing...Smile

Wondering what the experiences of the list are with the MkII ? I know it is built with 5 inch tubes...and has the rib in common with the Firefly,Firestar...
It comes with no engine which suits me to a "T". since I have a low time 503 with C box. and of all things....a brand new 532 with electric start...
Could not believe the "new" part of the 532 but when I yanked the heads...no carbon to be found...green dot on the pistons...Amazing!! Front and rear seals and likely good to go..My MkIII had a 532 and the hours I put on it were a non event... Crank and bearing rust would be a concern and would need inspecting...
The MkII would give me some trade bait for another Firefly or Firestar...which is what I really want... Herb

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: MkII....project... Reply with quote

MKII was a great airplane in its day. I built one and flew the heck out of it for about 4 1/2 years back the early 90’s. Handling was a bit sluggish, but it was originally designed to be a trainer. I had a 503 single carb which seemed adequate for flying in Southern California heat. I did a lot of thermalIng and high desert flying with it. I personally thought it a great airplane . The MKIII was a much prettier unit and I’m sure had stronger marketability as time has proven. The MKII was not very roomy. I was thinking that with a little cage modification that it would have made a cool fat man single seater. But, the original Firestar is not very roomy either, which is what I still fly. I’m not sure the MKII would be good trading material these days though? Their age has be considered. That’s just my two cents worth. George
George Helton
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, at 9:45 AM, herbgh <herbgh(at)juno.com> wrote:

All
I have located a MkII project. My experience has been with MkIII,Fireflys and a Slingshot..

Wondering what the experiences of the list are with the MkII ? I know it is built with 5 inch tubes...and has the rib in common with the Firefly,Firestar...
It comes with no engine which suits me to a "T". since I have a low time 503 with C box. and of all things....a brand new 532 with electric start...
Could not believe the "new" part of the 532 but when I yanked the heads...no carbon to be found...green dot on the pistons...Amazing!! Front and rear seals and likely good to go..My MkIII had a 532 and the hours I put on it were a non event... Crank and bearing rust would be a concern and would need inspecting...
The MkII would give me some trade bait for another Firefly or Firestar..which is what I really want... Herb

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=476205#476205

====================================

Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.1 KB
 Viewed:  5868 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: MkII....project... Reply with quote

I was pretty good in my day too! Smile    I think it would suit me at this time...Seems that the market is thin for Fireflies and Firestars; rebuilders and projects...kits...
  I  watched several vids on Youtube and decided as you that it would make a good single seater with some mods... I know the pitfalls of making mods....Turning the airbike wing from a full span aileron to an outboard one with a torque tube actuation and counterbalances took as much time as building the wing...!!

The seller is thinking trades and meeting me half way...all of which is very positive this time of year...

I am correct that the wing is the same as the Firestar one and two?    Herb

On 12/07/2017 09:52 AM, George Helton wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
MKII was a great airplane in its day. I built one and flew the heck out of it for about 4 1/2 years back the early 90’s. Handling was a bit sluggish, but it was originally designed to be a trainer. I had a 503 single carb which seemed adequate for flying in Southern California heat. I did a lot of thermalIng and high desert flying with it. I personally thought it a great airplane . The MKIII was a much prettier unit and I’m sure had stronger marketability as time has proven. The MKII was not very roomy. I was thinking that with a little cage modification that it would have made a cool fat man single seater. But, the original Firestar is not very roomy either, which is what I still fly. I’m not sure the MKII would be good trading material these days though? Their age has be considered. That’s just my two cents worth. George

Quote:

George Helton
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, at 9:45 AM, herbgh <herbgh(at)juno.com> (herbgh(at)juno.com) wrote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "herbgh" <herbgh(at)juno.com> (herbgh(at)juno.com)

All

The MkII would give me some trade bait for another Firefly or Firestar...which is what I really want... Herb

Quote:

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: MkII....project... Reply with quote

I can’t say that Firestar 2 used the same ribs or not? The original Firestar and Twinstar series which includes the MKII did. The only real difference that I can remember was that the wing had two more ribs per side to accommodate the larger wing span. The modification I wanted to do was to add a tube either side of the center tubes in the cockpit . Remove to the tube between the seats. It would entail recovering the main cage. I would have used the spaces between the new seating area and sides as cool storage compartments. It might’ve worked. George

George Helton
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax 
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:32 AM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I was pretty good in my day too! Smile I think it would suit me at this time...Seems that the market is thin for Fireflies and Firestars; rebuilders and projects...kits...
I watched several vids on Youtube and decided as you that it would make a good single seater with some mods... I know the pitfalls of making mods....Turning the airbike wing from a full span aileron to an outboard one with a torque tube actuation and counterbalances took as much time as building the wing...!!

The seller is thinking trades and meeting me half way...all of which is very positive this time of year...

I am correct that the wing is the same as the Firestar one and two? Herb

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
George Helton
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, at 9:45 AM, herbgh <herbgh(at)juno.com> (herbgh(at)juno.com) wrote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "herbgh" <herbgh(at)juno.com> (herbgh(at)juno.com)

All

Quote:

herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: MkII....project... Reply with quote

I know that the Ultrastar rib is the same...so likely  all are the same til the 6 inch spar...of the MkIII,Kolbra and Slingshot...

By the way...wondering if anyone has tried the cub airfoil or the Modified airfoil of the N3 Pup/J3 Kitten or Carlson Sparrow  on a Kolb...Mary Carlson can sell you  spars and ribs for about the same as two spar tubes.. More work however with drag and anti drag wires and cross bracing... My  N3 pup  was the best flyer of all of my birds.. It is sitting in a house trailer , behind my tobacco barn...waiting for the mood to strike.. and for me to add a t hangar onto the barn Smile

Interesting that one fellow that I communicated with used a Firestar wing on his airbike...Herb

by the way...Mary will sell you  her business...will make you  a millionaire if you start with two and spend it  down to one...Smile

On 12/07/2017 10:59 AM, George Helton wrote:

Quote:
I can’t say that Firestar 2 used the same ribs or not? The original Firestar and Twinstar series which includes the MKII did. The only real difference that I can remember was that the wing had two more ribs per side to accommodate the larger wing span.  The modification I wanted to do was to add a tube either side of the center tubes in the cockpit . Remove to the tube between the seats. It would entail recovering the main cage. I would have used the spaces between the new seating area and sides as cool storage compartments. It might’ve worked. George 

George Helton 
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax 
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan 

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:32 AM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I was pretty good in my day too! Smile    I think it would suit me at this time...Seems that the market is thin for Fireflies and Firestars; rebuilders and projects...kits...
  I  watched several vids on Youtube and decided as you that it would make a good single seater with some mods... I know the pitfalls of making mods....Turning the airbike wing from a full span aileron to an outboard one with a torque tube actuation and counterbalances took as much time as building the wing...!!

I am correct that the wing is the same as the Firestar one and two?    Herb

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
George Helton
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

All

Mark K

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: MkII....project... Reply with quote

Herb, I am working on a MKII project right now. Things are going fine. I have been slow on getting progress on the rebuild but moving along now. I can't wait to have it ready for next spring. There are several others I know from this list that have had MKII's. All liked them. I have a 503 dual carb, dual igntion setup for mine. Looking forward to hearing more about your project. Mark

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: MkII....project... Reply with quote

I've thought for a long time that if I were to build another mk3 that I
would do a lot of research into a modification of the wing. What I would
like to know is what difference there would be if I raised the leading edge
a inch and a quarter to a inch and a half. I would keep the bottom of
the ribs flat from the rear spar to 7 inches + or - behind the leading
edge spar. Then a gradual curve up to the raised leading edge. Similar
to the wing profile of the pa18 super cub. What I would like to know is
the drag / lift profile vs angle of attack,,,, Find out if the changes
would affect speed, clime, and glide angles.

If anyone knows please share.

Boyd Young mk3 Utah

On Dec 7, 2017 10:52 AM, "SugarDad" <herbgh(at)nctc.com> wrote:

[quote] I know that the Ultrastar rib is the same...so likely all are the same
til the 6 inch spar...of the MkIII,Kolbra and Slingshot...

By the way...wondering if anyone has tried the cub airfoil or the
Modified airfoil of the N3 Pup/J3 Kitten or Carlson Sparrow on a
Kolb...Mary Carlson can sell you spars and ribs for about the same as two
spar tubes.. More work however with drag and anti drag wires and cross
bracing... My N3 pup was the best flyer of all of my birds.. It is
sitting in a house trailer , behind my tobacco barn...waiting for the mood
to strike.. and for me to add a t hangar onto the barn Smile

Interesting that one fellow that I communicated with used a Firestar
wing on his airbike...Herb

by the way...Mary will sell you her business...will make you a
millionaire if you start with two and spend it down to one...Smile

On 12/07/2017 10:59 AM, George Helton wrote:

I can’t say that Firestar 2 used the same ribs or not? The original
Firestar and Twinstar series which includes the MKII did. The only real
difference that I can remember was that the wing had two more ribs per side
to accommodate the larger wing span.
The modification I wanted to do was to add a tube either side of the
center tubes in the cockpit . Remove to the tube between the seats. It
would entail recovering the main cage. I would have used the spaces between
the new seating area and sides as cool storage compartments. It might’ve
worked. George

George Helton
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:32 AM, SugarDad <herbgh(at)nctc.com> wrote:

I was pretty good in my day too! Smile I think it would suit me at this
time...Seems that the market is thin for Fireflies and Firestars;
rebuilders and projects...kits...

I watched several vids on Youtube and decided as you that it would make
a good single seater with some mods... I know the pitfalls of making
mods....Turning the airbike wing from a full span aileron to an outboard
one with a torque tube actuation and counterbalances took as much time as
building the wing...!!

The seller is thinking trades and meeting me half way...all of which is
very positive this time of year...

I am correct that the wing is the same as the Firestar one and two?
Herb

George Helton
1986 Firestar, 377 Rotax
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone
On Dec 7, 2017, at 9:45 AM, herbgh <herbgh(at)juno.com> <herbgh(at)juno.com> wrote:

All

It comes with no engine which suits me to a "T". since I have a low time 503 with C box. and of all things....a brand new 532 with electric start..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: