Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator will not put out current

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gengrumpy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

Fellow RV10 guys.
I am ready to fly the RV8 I have been building for the past 5 years, but I have an alternator issue maybe one of you can help with.

The alternator I have installed is an Ultima (with internal voltage regulator) from O’Reilly’s auto parts store. My next door hangar mate has an RV7 with the same alternator setup.

When I did my first ground engine run on Thursday, all worked fine except the alternator would not put out voltage.I double checked my connector plug wiring against my hangar mate's, and and made my connector wiring exactly the same as his is. Then I confirmed that I had 12v (with alt field switch on) to each of the 2 connectors in the plug, plugged it into the alternator, and ran engine again but no voltage increase with the alt field switch on.

With the alt field switch, there is no voltage to the connector, but there is batt voltage showing at the alternator output wire with the batt switch on.Friday, I pulled the alternator off and took it back to O’Reilly’s. It bench checked ok on their alternator tester. I also confirmed on their tester that the 2 connectors had 12v to them - it did. Then I had them order a new alternator anyway and it bench checked ok before I left the store..Put the new alternator on this am. Ops checked it this afternoon with an engine run and also ran a temp lead from the alternator output connector to a voltmeter. The alternator output never went above the battery voltage of 12.7v with the alt field switch on.Thinking it might be the connector plug that plugs into the back of the alternator, I changed out that plug for an older one I had with the original Denso alternator I had on my RV10. I confirmed that I had 12v to the 2 connectors with alt field switch on and ran the engine again - no voltage increase again!I am at wits end trying to get the alternator to put out voltage when the engine is running……any of you have suggestions?

Thanks - Grumpy
N184JM

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

My first suggestion is to get a real schematic for this alternator, not just try to copy your neighbor’s plug.
There are many different Ultima models.
Do you have a good ground connection?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Gordon Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

Are you increasing engine rpm above idle during the checks? Some alternators/ pulley size combinations will not get above battery voltage until the engine speed is higher.

Good luck and happy holidays to all!

Gordon Anderson
Switzerland 41015 just painted

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 24 Dec 2017, at 08:45, RV10-List Digest Server <rv10-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:

==================================================
Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive

Today's complete RV10-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the RV10-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter 17-12-23&Archive=RV10

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter 17-12-23&Archive=RV10

================================================
EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

----------------------------------------------------------
RV10-List Digest Archive
---
Total Messages Posted Sat 12/23/17: 2

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 07:54 PM - Alternator will not put out current (John Miller)
2. 09:11 PM - Re: Alternator will not put out current (Bob Turner)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________

Time: 07:54:29 PM PST US
Subject: Alternator will not put out current

Fellow RV10 guys.

I am ready to fly the RV8 I have been building for the past 5 years, but
I have an alternator issue maybe one of you can help with.

The alternator I have installed is an Ultima (with internal voltage
regulator) from O=99Reilly=99s auto parts store. My next
door hangar mate has an RV7 with the same alternator setup.

When I did my first ground engine run on Thursday, all worked fine
except the alternator would not put out voltage.

I double checked my connector plug wiring against my hangar mate's, and
and made my connector wiring exactly the same as his is. Then I
confirmed that I had 12v (with alt field switch on) to each of the 2
connectors in the plug, plugged it into the alternator, and ran engine
again but no voltage increase with the alt field switch on.

With the alt field switch, there is no voltage to the connector, but
there is batt voltage showing at the alternator output wire with the
batt switch on.

Friday, I pulled the alternator off and took it back to O=99Reilly
=99s. It bench checked ok on their alternator tester. I also
confirmed on their tester that the 2 connectors had 12v to them - it
did. Then I had them order a new alternator anyway and it bench checked
ok before I left the store..

Put the new alternator on this am. Ops checked it this afternoon with
an engine run and also ran a temp lead from the alternator output
connector to a voltmeter. The alternator output never went above the
battery voltage of 12.7v with the alt field switch on.

Thinking it might be the connector plug that plugs into the back of the
alternator, I changed out that plug for an older one I had with the
original Denso alternator I had on my RV10. I confirmed that I had 12v
to the 2 connectors with alt field switch on and ran the engine again -
no voltage increase again!

I am at wits end trying to get the alternator to put out voltage when
the engine is runningany of you have suggestions?

Thanks - Grumpy
N184JM

________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________

Time: 09:11:39 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Alternator will not put out current

My first suggestion is to get a real schematic for this alternator, not just try
to copy your neighbors plug.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=476728#476728

bigginsking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

There usually isn't much to those things, you need big wire/current from it(#6 probably) and small wire/current to it(#18 probably).

Your alternator needs up to 5 amps on the field, you could test that you've got sufficient current available by briefly putting a 50 watt halogen bulb on the field at the alternator end and seeing if it lights up.
Bill Judge
RV-8 N84WJ
1240 hrs
http://rv-8.blogspot.com/
On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 11:45 PM, RV10-List Digest Server <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive

Today's complete RV10-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below.  The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation.  The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the RV10-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2017-12-23&Archive=RV10

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2017-12-23&Archive=RV10

EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

RV10-List Digest Archive
                                      ---
                     Total Messages Posted Sat 12/23/17: 2

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 07:54 PM - Alternator will not put out current  (John Miller)
     2. 09:11 PM - Re: Alternator will not put out current  (Bob Turner)

________________________________  Message 1  _____________________________________

Time: 07:54:29 PM PST US
From: John Miller <gengrumpy(at)aol.com (gengrumpy(at)aol.com)>

Fellow RV10 guys.

I am ready to fly the RV8 I have been building for the past 5 years, but
I have an alternator issue maybe one of you can help with.

The alternator I have installed is an Ultima (with internal voltage
regulator) from O=99Reilly=99s auto parts store.  My next
door hangar mate has an RV7 with the same alternator setup.

When I did my first ground engine run on Thursday, all worked fine
except the alternator would not put out voltage.

I double checked my connector plug wiring against my hangar mate's, and
and made my connector wiring exactly the same as his is.  Then I
confirmed that I had 12v (with alt field switch on) to each of the 2
connectors in the plug, plugged it into the alternator, and ran engine
again but no voltage increase with the alt field switch on.

With the alt field switch, there is no voltage to the connector, but
there is batt voltage showing at the alternator output wire with the
batt switch on.

Friday, I pulled the alternator off and took it back to O=99Reilly
=99s.  It bench checked ok on their alternator tester.  I also
confirmed on their tester that the 2 connectors had 12v to them - it
did.  Then I had them order a new alternator anyway and it bench checked
ok before I left the store..

Put the new alternator on this am.  Ops checked it this afternoon with
an engine run and also ran a temp lead from the alternator output
connector to a voltmeter.  The alternator output never went above the
battery voltage of 12.7v with the alt field switch on.

Thinking it might be the connector plug that plugs into the back of the
alternator, I changed out that plug for an older one I had with the
original Denso alternator I had on my RV10.  I confirmed that I had 12v
to the 2 connectors with alt field switch on and ran the engine again -
no voltage increase again!

I am at wits end trying to get the alternator to put out voltage when
the engine is runningany of you have suggestions?

Thanks - Grumpy
N184JM

________________________________  Message 2  _____________________________________

Time: 09:11:39 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Alternator will not put out current
From: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>

My first suggestion is to get a real schematic for this alternator, not just try
to copy your neighbors plug.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=476728#476728

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

kearney

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

Grumpy

My suggestion would be to pull the alternator and have a rewind shop check it out. They have the test kit that will remove any doubt as to its status.
Only then would I start troubleshooting other things - unless it is super obvious like a broken field wire.

I would not take any chances on the alternator as it could lead to expensive repairs - I had an IR alternator go south and and cause all kinds of havoc to my avionics a couple of years ago.

In my opinion, it is not worth the risk to try and troubleshoot it while connected to your electro magic gizmos.

Cheers

Les

C-GCWZ Flying
C-GROK some assembly required

gengrumpy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

Bill, I think you hit the nail on the head.
We traced down today that the 12v isn’t carrying any amps to the alternator, so have to look back at connections, etc, to see if I have a bad crimp or a pinched wire (ugh!)

My ace A&P and an electrician friend helped me get to that point, and you don’t have to use the light bulb. Put the voltmeter on the connector with it plugged into the alternator and see what the volts do…..went to less than 1v. Disconnect from the alternator and reads a solid 12v….so I was getting voltage, no amps through the wire.

Thanks - grumpy
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, at 11:09 AM, Bill Judge <bjudge(at)gmail.com (bjudge(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
There usually isn't much to those things, you need big wire/current from it(#6 probably) and small wire/current to it(#18 probably).
Your alternator needs up to 5 amps on the field, you could test that you've got sufficient current available by briefly putting a 50 watt halogen bulb on the field at the alternator end and seeing if it lights up.Bill Judge
RV-8 N84WJ
1240 hrs

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 11:45 PM, RV10-List Digest Server <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)> wrote:
Quote:
* ================================================== Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive ================================================== Today's complete RV10-List Digest can also be found in either of the two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version of the RV10-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor such as Notepad or with a web browser. HTML Version: gengrumpy(at)aol.com (gengrumpy(at)aol.com)> Subject: Alternator will not put out current Fellow RV10 guys. I am ready to fly the RV8 I have been building for the past 5 years, but I have an alternator issue maybe one of you can help with. The alternator I have installed is an Ultima (with internal voltage regulator) from O=99Reilly=99s auto parts store. My next door hangar mate has an RV7 with the same alternator setup. When I did my first ground engine run on Thursday, all worked fine except the alternator would not put out voltage. I double checked my connector plug wiring against my hangar mate's, and and made my connector wiring exactly the same as his is. Then I confirmed that I had 12v (with alt field switch on) to each of the 2 connectors in the plug, plugged it into the alternator, and ran engine again but no voltage increase with the alt field switch on. With the alt field switch, there is no voltage to the connector, but there is batt voltage showing at the alternator output wire with the batt switch on. Friday, I pulled the alternator off and took it back to O=99Reilly =99s. It bench checked ok on their alternator tester. I also confirmed on their tester that the 2 connectors had 12v to them - it did. Then I had them order a new alternator anyway and it bench checked ok before I left the store.. Put the new alternator on this am. Ops checked it this afternoon with an engine run and also ran a temp lead from the alternator output connector to a voltmeter. The alternator output never went above the battery voltage of 12.7v with the alt field switch on. Thinking it might be the connector plug that plugs into the back of the alternator, I changed out that plug for an older one I had with the original Denso alternator I had on my RV10. I confirmed that I had 12v to the 2 connectors with alt field switch on and ran the engine again - no voltage increase again! I am at wits end trying to get the alternator to put out voltage when the engine is runningany of you have suggestions? Thanks - Grumpy N184JM ________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________ Time: 09:11:39 PM PST US Subject: Re: Alternator will not put out current From: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> My first suggestion is to get a real schematic for this alternator, not just try to copy your neighbors plug. There are many different Ultima models. Do you have a good ground connection? -------- Bob Turner RV-10 QB Read this topic online here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=476728#476728 ==================================== -List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List ==================================== FORUMS - eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com ==================================== WIKI - errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com ==================================== b Site - -Matt Dralle, List Admin. rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ====================================

maca2790

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

I had a broken wire on my Field winding as well. Happened on the red wire crimp at the plug! When I enquired about a replacement plug Plane Power’s agent in Australia was not interested in helping with a new plug.

Cheers John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV10 41016

On 25 Dec 2017, at 08:49, John Miller <gengrumpy(at)aol.com (gengrumpy(at)aol.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Bill, I think you hit the nail on the head.
We traced down today that the 12v isn’t carrying any amps to the alternator, so have to look back at connections, etc, to see if I have a bad crimp or a pinched wire (ugh!)

My ace A&P and an electrician friend helped me get to that point, and you don’t have to use the light bulb. Put the voltmeter on the connector with it plugged into the alternator and see what the volts do…..went to less than 1v. Disconnect from the alternator and reads a solid 12v….so I was getting voltage, no amps through the wire.

Thanks - grumpy
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2017, at 11:09 AM, Bill Judge <bjudge(at)gmail.com (bjudge(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Your alternator needs up to 5 amps on the field, you could test that you've got sufficient current available by briefly putting a 50 watt halogen bulb on the field at the alternator end and seeing if it lights up.Bill Judge
RV-8 N84WJ
1240 hrs

Quote:
* ================================================== Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive ================================================== Today's complete RV10-List Digest can also be found in either of the two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version of the RV10-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor such as Notepad or with a web browser. HTML Version: gengrumpy(at)aol.com (gengrumpy(at)aol.com)> Subject: Alternator will not put out current Fellow RV10 guys. I am ready to fly the RV8 I have been building for the past 5 years, but I have an alternator issue maybe one of you can help with. The alternator I have installed is an Ultima (with internal voltage regulator) from O=99Reilly=99s auto parts store. My next door hangar mate has an RV7 with the same alternator setup. When I did my first ground engine run on Thursday, all worked fine except the alternator would not put out voltage. I double checked my connector plug wiring against my hangar mate's, and and made my connector wiring exactly the same as his is. Then I confirmed that I had 12v (with alt field switch on) to each of the 2 connectors in the plug, plugged it into the alternator, and ran engine again but no voltage increase with the alt field switch on. With the alt field switch, there is no voltage to the connector, but there is batt voltage showing at the alternator output wire with the batt switch on. Friday, I pulled the alternator off and took it back to O=99Reilly =99s. It bench checked ok on their alternator tester. I also confirmed on their tester that the 2 connectors had 12v to them - it did. Then I had them order a new alternator anyway and it bench checked ok before I left the store.. Put the new alternator on this am. Ops checked it this afternoon with an engine run and also ran a temp lead from the alternator output connector to a voltmeter. The alternator output never went above the battery voltage of 12.7v with the alt field switch on. Thinking it might be the connector plug that plugs into the back of the alternator, I changed out that plug for an older one I had with the original Denso alternator I had on my RV10. I confirmed that I had 12v to the 2 connectors with alt field switch on and ran the engine again - no voltage increase again! I am at wits end trying to get the alternator to put out voltage when the engine is runningany of you have suggestions? Thanks - Grumpy N184JM ________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________ Time: 09:11:39 PM PST US Subject: Re: Alternator will not put out current From: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> My first suggestion is to get a real schematic for this alternator, not just try to copy your neighbors plug. There are many different Ultima models. Do you have a good ground connection? -------- Bob Turner RV-10 QB Read this topic online here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=476728#476728 ==================================== -List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List ==================================== FORUMS - eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com ==================================== WIKI - errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com ==================================== b Site - -Matt Dralle, List Admin. rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ====================================

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

I had an alternator put out too much volts last year. Fried the LED trim indicators and cost $500 each to repair the 2 Dynon screens. Autopilot never worked quite right afterward and finally had to send it in for a fix. There are 2 external ways to prevent overvoltage. One is a crowbar device across the field circuit breaker to short it and make it pop on overvoltage. The other is a circuit that looks at voltage and opens a contactor in the alternator output on overvoltage. I put in both.
Albert (belt and suspenders) Gardner
RV-10 N991RV
Yuma, AZ

maca2790

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

I am not familiar with that Alternator. You say you have two wires running to the connector both with 12 volts?  Can you upload a photo of  the wiring diagram for the Alternator?
Also you will always have Battery Volts on the B + terminal whenever the Master is on unless you have a big Diode in line with the Battery.

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Miller
Sent: Sunday, 24 December 2017 2:53 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com

Fellow RV10 guys.

I am ready to fly the RV8 I have been building for the past 5 years, but I have an alternator issue maybe one of you can help with.

The alternator I have installed is an Ultima (with internal voltage regulator) from O’Reilly’s auto parts store. My next door hangar mate has an RV7 with the same alternator setup.

When I did my first ground engine run on Thursday, all worked fine except the alternator would not put out voltage.

I double checked my connector plug wiring against my hangar mate's, and and made my connector wiring exactly the same as his is. Then I confirmed that I had 12v (with alt field switch on) to each of the 2 connectors in the plug, plugged it into the alternator, and ran engine again but no voltage increase with the alt field switch on.

With the alt field switch, there is no voltage to the connector, but there is batt voltage showing at the alternator output wire with the batt switch on.

Friday, I pulled the alternator off and took it back to O’Reilly’s. It bench checked ok on their alternator tester. I also confirmed on their tester that the 2 connectors had 12v to them - it did. Then I had them order a new alternator anyway and it bench checked ok before I left the store..

Put the new alternator on this am. Ops checked it this afternoon with an engine run and also ran a temp lead from the alternator output connector to a voltmeter. The alternator output never went above the battery voltage of 12.7v with the alt field switch on.

Thinking it might be the connector plug that plugs into the back of the alternator, I changed out that plug for an older one I had with the original Denso alternator I had on my RV10. I confirmed that I had 12v to the 2 connectors with alt field switch on and ran the engine again - no voltage increase again!

I am at wits end trying to get the alternator to put out voltage when the engine is running……any of you have suggestions?

Thanks - Grumpy

N184JM

gengrumpy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Alternator will not put out current Reply with quote

Fellow RV10ers - thanks all for the tips. Found the issue and will post for all to see.
On suggestion from one of the avionics dealers at Osh, they convinced my partner last summer that we needed to have over-voltage protection on the alternator to protect avionics.

So we bought one of the small crow-bar types from PlanePower and installed per their instructions between the circuit breaker and the alt field switch.

I chased ghosts for several days. Could always get 12v on the field wire to the rear of the alternator….but that was not telling the whole story. I needed to see if it was supplying enough amps to excite the alt field. With the help of a local A&P, we jumped the alt field wire to the connector prong on the rear of the alternator, then measured volts at the alternator….should have been 12v…..less than 1v!

That led me back to something in the wiring must be allowing 12v voltage to pass, but no amps to flow. Then I remembered the over-voltage protection module I installed, and removed it from the wiring. Bingo! Got a good 12v at the alternator connection followed by a good engine run with alternator putting out 14.5v into the system!

I then checked with Christer at SteinAir (who built an RV8 a couple of years back). He told me this:

1. He does not have such a device on his main alternator
2. He does have one on his little backup alternator mounted on the vacuum pad
3. All the Garmin products are rated for up to 30v, so he doesn’t see a need for one if you are using Garmin stuff (did not discuss Dynon stuff)
4. Set the voltage warning to 15v to warn you if the alternator starts to run away (I also set my amp warning flags as well)

So, now all is ready for first flight - hopefully tomorrow when the cold and winds let up some here in TN.

grumpy
N184JM
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, at 2:54 AM, John MacCallum <john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com (john.maccallum(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
I am not familiar with that Alternator. You say you have two wires running to the connector both with 12 volts? Can you upload a photo of the wiring diagram for the Alternator?
Also you will always have Battery Volts on the B + terminal whenever the Master is on unless you have a big Diode in line with the Battery.

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV 10 # 41016

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of John MillerSent: Sunday, 24 December 2017 2:53 PMTo: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Alternator will not put out current

Fellow RV10 guys.

When I did my first ground engine run on Thursday, all worked fine except the alternator would not put out voltage.I double checked my connector plug wiring against my hangar mate's, and and made my connector wiring exactly the same as his is. Then I confirmed that I had 12v (with alt field switch on) to each of the 2 connectors in the plug, plugged it into the alternator, and ran engine again but no voltage increase with the alt field switch on.

With the alt field switch, there is no voltage to the connector, but there is batt voltage showing at the alternator output wire with the batt switch on.Friday, I pulled the alternator off and took it back to O’Reilly’s. It bench checked ok on their alternator tester. I also confirmed on their tester that the 2 connectors had 12v to them - it did. Then I had them order a new alternator anyway and it bench checked ok before I left the store..Put the new alternator on this am. Ops checked it this afternoon with an engine run and also ran a temp lead from the alternator output connector to a voltmeter. The alternator output never went above the battery voltage of 12.7v with the alt field switch on.Thinking it might be the connector plug that plugs into the back of the alternator, I changed out that plug for an older one I had with the original Denso alternator I had on my RV10. I confirmed that I had 12v to the 2 connectors with alt field switch on and ran the engine again - no voltage increase again!I am at wits end trying to get the alternator to put out voltage when the engine is running……any of you have suggestions?

Thanks - Grumpy

N184JM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: