Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Sender Calibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Fuel Sender Calibration Reply with quote

I am trying to manually calibrate my fuel sight gauge, and also the fuel sender, attached to my Dynon Skyview. The fuel sender is the Lyndhurst LTS3a, which I understand is no longer in production. It was purchased and installed by the original builder, when the project was started back in 1999. The sender is not located in the tank, but is in a separate cylinder behind the passenger headrest, so it is easy to access. I have attached a pdf with instructions on how to calibrate the sender when it is attached to a VDO type fuel gauge, but I have not fitted a VDO gauge, as I want to provide the information via the Skyview.
The instructions for calibrating the sender states that it should be calibrated downwards from a full tank, whereas the Skyview instructions state the calibration is started from an empty tank, upwards, which is the procedure I have followed. At the same time, I manually calibrated the sight gauge, which is next to the fuel sender cylinder. Skyview recommend filling the tank in 5 litre stages, and the Skyview “wizard” records the change in voltage at each stage, to calibrate the gauge to the fuel added. At a couple of stages, there is no change in the voltage, probably because the sender has only 8 switches, and the tank takes 11 x 5 litre fills before becoming full at 56 litres.
All seemed well as I filled the tank, marked off the sight gauge, and followed the wizard. However, as I empty the tank, again in 5 litre drains, both the sight gauge, and Skyview readout exaggerate the amount left in the tank at various stages. I have drained off 40 litres of fuel, yet the sight gauge, and the Skyview gauge read 30 litres when my maths tell me there is only 16 litres left in the main tank (I have separately measured the contents of the reserve tank at 9 litres). This would seem to indicate a faulty fuel sender, maybe the float is sticking in the cylinder ? Before I dismantle the sender from the cylinder, I wondered if anyone else has come across a similar problem, and if so, what sender has been used as a replacement. I read from a search on here that the MOD 60 from Europa for this type of sender now uses one that has 16 switch positions (so should be more accurate) ; has anyone experience of retro fitting this type, or can recommend an alternative sender ?

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

fuel_sender.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  fuel_sender.pdf
 Filesize:  729.55 KB
 Downloaded:  248 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: