Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngilpin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

Gday All,
Not Kolb related, but definitely flying related.
Flying Adventures in my Beaver ultralight in the 90's.
Priceless memories, almost as good as my memories of flying Kolbs in the USA.
http://flyingadventureseagerbeaver.blogspot.com.au/

Wishing everyone great flying adventures in the year to come.
JG

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lambdinwilliam(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

JC,
You are quite the adventurer! Congrats on the aircraft design and build! Your
activities put you in a very small, elite group of human beings. Thanks for sharing!
Safe flying in 2018!
Lanny Lambdin

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 29, 2017, at 3:47 AM, JC Gilpin <j.gilpin(at)bigpond.com (j.gilpin(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Gday All,

JG

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

Great story. I’m sure they are to be had here in the states too. I’m looking forward to a few more this coming year in my Firestar. I’m using the long winter months here in northern Michigan to install a new engine, landing gear and hyd.disc brakes. I flew a RX35 Spectrum Beaver back in the mid 80’s and gave Flight instruction in a Beaver RX 550 tandem two seater for a couple of years out in California. Good times! But, anytime I’m flying is a good time. “True dinkun!” I haven’t heard that in a while. Made me smile. Have great day! George

George Helton
1986 Firestar, FS100
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com (gdhelton(at)gmail.com)

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 29, 2017, at 3:47 AM, JC Gilpin <j.gilpin(at)bigpond.com (j.gilpin(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Gday All,

JG

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

John Gilpin is a man after my own heart.  He has had more flying adventures than you can shake a stick at.  He has a knack for getting into trouble and getting out just as easy.

A few years back John G spent a couple weeks with the gang at the Rock House.  He held my attention the whole time I was there.  He has a lot of stories to share about his flying adventures.  One of the best is when you clipped a power line and crashed somewhere Outback.

Few will fully understand the experience of flying solo, completely self supported, in truly remote areas.  John G has been there and done that many times.

In addition, John G has made several trips to the US to travel and explore extensively in our country in a Kolb.  He finds it difficult to sit still very long.

Thanks for sharing, John G.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of JC Gilpin
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 2:47 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver

Gday All,

JG

Titus, Alabama
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

Gday back at ya.

I'm with John.    Fun memories from the rock house.   Also when you stopped by Brigham City for a visit.
Boyd Young
On Dec 29, 2017 1:50 AM, "JC Gilpin" <j.gilpin(at)bigpond.com (j.gilpin(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Gday All,

JG

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

JG and any other Kolbers,

If your travels ever bring you to the Southern California area, look me up and stop by for a visit. I don't have a fabulous private airport or a big rock house, and our "wilderness" here in LA is a different kind of adventure to say the least. But we do have some damn good flying weather, and I'd be happy to share some flying stories with you.

Bill Berle
www.ezflaphandle.com  - safety & performance upgrade for light aircraft
www.grantstar.net           - winning proposals for non-profit and for-profit entities

--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 12/29/17, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver
To: "Kolb List" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Friday, December 29, 2017, 7:01 AM

Gday back at
ya.
I'm with John.   
Fun memories from the rock house.   Also when you stopped
by Brigham City for a visit.
Boyd Young
On Dec 29, 2017 1:50 AM,
"JC Gilpin" <j.gilpin(at)bigpond.com>
wrote:
Gday All,
Not Kolb
related, but definitely flying related.Flying
Adventures in my Beaver ultralight in the
90's.Priceless memories, almost as good as my
memories of flying Kolbs in the USA.http://
flyingadventureseagerbeaver. blogspot.com.au/

Wishing
everyone great flying adventures in the year to
come.
JG

johngilpin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

...He has a knack of getting into trouble and then getting out just as easy.... 
It's true that I did once did mention to my flying instructor that, "... I was good at getting out of trouble...", and he didn't reckon that was a real good answer for flying strategy..... That off-hand comment was based on long experience of rough travel in foreign countries and long motorcycle trips in such countries, but it really should have been stated as, "... good at dodging trouble ...". Willing to go into tight situations but very much alert to the risks and always assessing 'get out' options in time.

That applies particularly for my ultralight flying. Often it's not very relaxing because my mind is spinning all the while, assessing the risks and outlanding options....  I'm not very interested in flying just to get up into the air around the same home patch, and not at all interested in low flying just for the thrills..... My aircraft is a means of transport to get out and see and explore new vistas from above. 
Sometimes that means getting out over rough country but always carefully assessed as being survivable. And of course preparation beforehand. Hundreds of practiced dead stick landings, so that I know what the feel of no engine noise is like, and what the glide slope will be, and exactly where I'll set down at minimum speed. (Actually I really enjoy that silent glide with just the sound of the wind, and assessing speed and momentum without watching the instruments....) I've never found navigation difficult, and GPS makes it so sure and easy these days. In case of stranding I always carry an ELT and Spot locator, and carry enough survival needs until help could come. I follow roads or near them wherever possible. Considering all those factors in planning and flying is what makes the challenge interesting.

Remote Australia isn't nearly as threatening as it appears, if you're always aware of the options and are prepared just in case. I never felt very brave or reckless on those trips. Just a whole lot of fun!
Same for when I was flying Kolbs to have those fabulous adventures in the USA.
Different strokes for different folks, but try it you might like.....

JG

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver Reply with quote

John G/Kolbers:

When I made that comment, "you were good at getting into and out of trouble", I was thinking, in particular, to the story you told of clipping a power line and the adventure that started after that.  Very funny, once in a lifetime story.

Glad we got to meet and swap stories.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of JC Gilpin
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 12:43 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Flying Adventures of the Eager Beaver

...He has a knack of getting into trouble and then getting out just as easy....

It's true that I did once did mention to my flying instructor that, "... I was good at getting out of trouble...", and he didn't reckon that was a real good answer for flying strategy..... That off-hand comment was based on long experience of rough travel in foreign countries and long motorcycle trips in such countries, but it really should have been stated as, "... good at dodging trouble ...". Willing to go into tight situations but very much alert to the risks and always assessing 'get out' options in time.

That applies particularly for my ultralight flying. Often it's not very relaxing because my mind is spinning all the while, assessing the risks and outlanding options.... I'm not very interested in flying just to get up into the air around the same home patch, and not at all interested in low flying just for the thrills..... My aircraft is a means of transport to get out and see and explore new vistas from above.

Sometimes that means getting out over rough country but always carefully assessed as being survivable. And of course preparation beforehand. Hundreds of practiced dead stick landings, so that I know what the feel of no engine noise is like, and what the glide slope will be, and exactly where I'll set down at minimum speed. (Actually I really enjoy that silent glide with just the sound of the wind, and assessing speed and momentum without watching the instruments....) I've never found navigation difficult, and GPS makes it so sure and easy these days. In case of stranding I always carry an ELT and Spot locator, and carry enough survival needs until help could come. I follow roads or near them wherever possible. Considering all those factors in planning and flying is what makes the challenge interesting.

Remote Australia isn't nearly as threatening as it appears, if you're always aware of the options and are prepared just in case. I never felt very brave or reckless on those trips. Just a whole lot of fun!

Same for when I was flying Kolbs to have those fabulous adventures in the USA.

Different strokes for different folks, but try it you might like.....

JG

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: