Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Vne and Va IAS or TAS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Are Vne and Va IAS or TAS? Reply with quote

Hi Bud,
Many thanks for your (as always) comprehensive post. Very much appreciated. Your bolded statement implies that the Europa would be fine to be flown to VNE IAS at 15-18k (altitudes used by some Europa fliers) without risk of flutter due to the relatively stiff construction (if I have not mis-read). I'm quite hesitant to ever give that a try, but was searching for the comfortable TAS limits instead... which Ivan has appeared to answer with his proven test numbers.

Now im wondering if any Europa fliers have become test pilots and flown at VNE IAS higher than Ivan's 8000' during his Vd testing?

Just recently, another composite light sport didnt fare as well:
https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/proficiency/technicalities-are-you-feeling-lucky
Cheers and blue skies,
Pete Smile

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2018, at 4:15 PM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

p

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Are Vne and Va IAS or TAS? Reply with quote

Pete,

Quick answer:

During prop testing, I would do cruise tests up to 15k, then dive at Vne in smooth air to the turbulent layer at 5000, then slow to below 130 of course. No issues. (Did a loop at 160 just for practice.)  Later to determine prop pitch to hold 5000 and 5500 rpm, I shallow dived to Vne and observed the rpm, landed, adjusted the prop course stop, and repeated.

The pitch and roll forces are a bit lighter at Vne, but still delightful. 

Now you know why I'm a zealot about stab tightness, and flutter. I do this type of testing on my new 914 / Airmaster powered planes I flight test.

By the way, in my last post, I didn't include wing flap vs local AOA change resonance at high altitude in flexible wings of low elastic modulus. Nasty stuff, and very lengthy to explain.

Keep it tight.

Regards,

Bud

Bud Yerly

Custom Flight Creations

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 7:01 PM

Subject: Re: Are Vne and Va IAS or TAS?

To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

Hi Bud,

Many thanks for your (as always) comprehensive post. Very much appreciated. Your bolded statement implies that the Europa would be fine to be flown to VNE IAS at 15-18k (altitudes used by some Europa fliers) without risk of flutter due to the relatively stiff construction (if I have not mis-read). I'm quite hesitant to ever give that a try, but was searching for the comfortable TAS limits instead... which Ivan has appeared to answer with his proven test numbers.

Now im wondering if any Europa fliers have become test pilots and flown at VNE IAS higher than Ivan's 8000' during his Vd testing?

Just recently, another composite light sport didnt fare as well:

https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/proficiency/technicalities-are-you-feeling-lucky

Cheers and blue skies,

Pete Smile

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2018, at 4:15 PM, Bud Yerly <budyerly (budyerly(at)msn.com)(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

Quote:
p

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: