Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super-cool oil temp
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LawnDart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Super-cool oil temp Reply with quote

I have a good chance of getting some of these it I can get the part number.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Viperdoc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Super-cool oil temp Reply with quote

I split a strip of duck tape in half. I then put the two halves over the length of capillaries on the face of the cooler. I do that when the OAT is going to be less that 40 deg F. Keeps the oil temps in the 50 deg C Range.

Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 17, 2018, at 12:44 PM, apatton2 <apatton(at)alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

Hi All,
I recently acquired a Yak-50 from the UK (the former G-JYAK). I continue to work on getting it into tune (have replaced the carburetor and mags with overhauled units).

When warm it runs very smoothly and well, developing at least book power (>=8.85 potatoes MP on takeoff). Engine is the stock M14P... only mods are the auto ignition harness and an intake drain kit.

However, the oil temp takes a very long time to come up to 40degC on start. Overnight temps in my area (NorCal) get as cold as 5degC but are generally warmer. However, upon pulling the airplane out of the hangar and starting it, oil temp reads zero C, and will take 20min to get to 40 degC. In fact, after as much at 5min after engine start, the oil temp indicator still indicates 0degC.

This isn't great as I believe that the prolonged run at low power begins to foul plugs. When it's warmed up and motoring at 82% / 7 potatoes in high-power cruise, oil temp needle tends to "stand straight up" at 70-80deg C.

I'm wondering about 2 potential causes:
1. Is there a variable problem with the indicator? I.e. inaccurate at low power settings/low temps but fine at higher power settings.
2. Could there be some abnormal oil circulation, especially at low power settings, that is allowing cold oil to stagnate around the temp probe for awhile, even after startup.

Every other indication, as far as I can tell, is normal. CHT temps will come up to ~ 75-100degC while waiting for the oil temp to come up.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Andrew

--------
Andrew Patton
Yak-50

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=477374#477374

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JL2A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Super-cool oil temp Reply with quote

I think closing the gill shutters on the ground (at any time) but especially to increase oil temperature is bad advice.

With no airflow over the cylinders the CHT probe is not necessarily telling you the hottest temperature. With stagnant air there could be undected hotspots creating all sorts of ugly things to be happening to the cylinders.

Cooking cylinders to get the oil to warm up a bit quicker could be a pyrrhic victory!

Oil lubricates despite it's temperature - its the high pressure that is the problem and usually only through the oil cooler as the cooling vanes in these are the weakest link with regards to excess pressure. Hoses in correct condition and the engine itself can handle much higher pressures than redline. Try using multi-grade, clicking oil pump PRV down a notch.

With single weight oils temperature is just a good proxy for pressure.

Stand to be corrected on any of this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: