Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Hope some of you Jabiru gurus are still lurking on the list.

I have 292 hrs on my 3300. Over the last year the fuel pressure has slowly dropped.

At Cruise it is 1.8 steady but will sometimes dip to 1.1. At run up ( 1200 to 1700 ) it will vary between 1.0 and 2.3.

It is very unsettling to get a low pressure alarm on takeoff roll even with boost pump on it drops to .9 at times. I have recently dropped my low pressure alarm from 1.5 to 1.2. It will usually come back up to 1.8 after throttling back to about 2700 rpm.
The electric fuel boost pump is only 3 yrs old but the engine pump is original 11 yrs old.
Is there a time recommendation for changing out the engine pump and / or the boost pump. The boost pump was bought at NAPA.
The engine fuel pump I believe is BCD1875 modified by Jabiru.
Electric boost pump is Facet FAC40105. Should be 3 to 4.5 psi.

My fuel pressure transducer is 0 to 60 psi. and I am wondering if that could be all of my problem.

Dynon recommends 0 to 10 or 20 psi.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bobby

Coming up on age 80

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Bobby,
What aircraft do you have? If it is a high wing you shouldn’t have a problem with fuel starvation.

Is your facet pump in series or parallel with mechanical pump? With the facet running I would expect you to see a increase in pressure.

I have steam gauges and no fuel pressure gauge but it is gravity fed.

Do you have a fuel filter that is dirty? Remove the fuel supply from the carb and measure the fuel flow with the facet pump on. If the flow is proper I would guess it might be the sender.

Give Pete at Jabna.com a call.

Tim

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 2:04 PM
To: Server, JabiruEngine-List Digest <jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Fuel Pressure

I have 292 hrs on my 3300. Over the last year the fuel pressure has slowly dropped.

At Cruise it is 1.8 steady but will sometimes dip to 1.1. At run up ( 1200 to 1700 ) it will vary between 1.0 and 2.3.

It is very unsettling to get a low pressure alarm on takeoff roll even with boost pump on it drops to .9 at times. I have recently dropped my low pressure alarm from 1.5 to 1.2. It will usually come back up to 1.8 after throttling back to about 2700 rpm.

The electric fuel boost pump is only 3 yrs old but the engine pump is original 11 yrs old.

Is there a time recommendation for changing out the engine pump and / or the boost pump. The boost pump was bought at NAPA.

My fuel pressure transducer is 0 to 60 psi. and I am wondering if that could be all of my problem.

Bobby

Coming up on age 80

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

would look first at the fuel transducer.I have 10 years and 1000+hrs on my original facet and factory pump using only 100 octane on my 2200 A
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2018, at 4:03 PM, BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net) wrote:

Bobby
Coming up on age 80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Thanks to Tim, Gary & Barry

I talked to Dynon and studied the pressure problems with their other VDO senders.

My sender is for 0 to 50 psi and operating at around 2 to 3.5 psi. Should have been 0 to 30 range.

Dynon is using a newer transducer with 3 wires but I don't want to go back thru the firewall, remove the boot cowl on the Zodiac, run a new wire, disconnect a plug and find another pin.
The very nice guy at Dynon support gave me the old VDO part number for the 0 to 30 psi sender. I found it at Summit racing before I found out that ACS also carries it. VDO 360043D is the new number. I should have it in 4 or 5 days.

The old one has lasted  more than 10 yrs so if I get half that on the new one I'll be happy. I'll let ya'll know if it solves the problem.

Thanks again for the responses

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Good Going Bobby:
I would go with SUMMIT RACING before I buy anything from ACS!
Hey...  Since re-stringing the wire through the old hole is a PITA, why not just make a new hole.  
Then - After you have proven the new setup cut the old wires out and plug the old hole.
Barry
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 8:33 PM, <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to Tim, Gary & Barry

I talked to Dynon and studied the pressure problems with their other VDO senders.

My sender is for 0 to 50 psi and operating at around 2 to 3.5 psi. Should have been 0 to 30 range.

Dynon is using a newer transducer with 3 wires but I don't want to go back thru the firewall, remove the boot cowl on the Zodiac, run a new wire, disconnect a plug and find another pin.
The very nice guy at Dynon support gave me the old VDO part number for the 0 to 30 psi sender. I found it at Summit racing before I found out that ACS also carries it. VDO 360043D is the new number. I should have it in 4 or 5 days.

The old one has lasted  more than 10 yrs so if I get half that on the new one I'll be happy. I'll let ya'll know if it solves the problem.

Thanks again for the responses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Fuel pressure Reply with quote

Barry

I have room to push another wire thru an existing hole.

I just do not want to go thru the trouble to take off the boot cowl, remove a plug, find a pin, attach the wire and button it all back up - then attach a laptop and program a new component. I hope I am thru building and I just want to enjoy flying once in a while. I get tired just opening up the hangar, doing a walk around, airing up tires, re-fueling and getting in the plane. Did I mention getting out of the plane is a chore also. LOL

noelolebos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Fuel pressure Reply with quote

I don't thing VDO makes sensors rated for fuel. All the fuel rated sensors are about $130.00 or more.

Noel

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:35 AM
To: Server, JabiruEngine-List Digest
Subject: Fuel pressure

Barry

I just do not want to go thru the trouble to take off the boot cowl, remove a plug, find a pin, attach the wire and button it all back up - then attach a laptop and program a new component. I hope I am thru building and I just want to enjoy flying once in a while. I get tired just opening up the hangar, doing a walk around, airing up tires, re-fueling and getting in the plane. Did I mention getting out of the plane is a chore also. LOL

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Fuel pressure Reply with quote

Yea, I know how that is.  I gave up my dream of owning a Piper Cub as I could not get into the rear seat or even the front seat anymore.
The Grumman AA5 became my dream plane.  But, since I do my own maintenance, getting in to the "Grumman Grunt Position" - Head Down, Under and Behind the Dash with your feet in the air - Upside down and backwards - Butt on the seat.  And, NO you do not want to remove the seats, that is even more of a problem.
Barry
On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:35 AM, <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Barry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: