Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear up or down....forced landing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetj01(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Gear up or down....forced landing Reply with quote

Agree JB,

Doc K, you know I respect your considerable aviation knowledge and all things YAK (and heart related) but unlike your F16 AcesII seat, in general, unless on fire šŸ”„ or broken and unflyable, with the slow stall speeds and short landing distances, again IN GENERAL, putting it down in a controllable fashion is probably better odds than using that seat cushion that probably hasnā€™t been properly inspected in years and has been getting stepped on, grease and oiled on and in general introducing a WHOLE lot more variables the average YAK pilot is really not equipped to proper handle. I agree it MUST be a briefed and practiced option but would be tertiary and not primary for me personally during a ā€˜simpleā€™ engine/gear out EP (non normal for us Boeing drivers say) briefing. Just my perspectivešŸ‘
Jj

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 21, 2017, at 9:47 PM, JON <jblake207(at)comcast.net (jblake207(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Doc, FWIW... I always brief that we will only bail out if the aircraft is on fire or is uncontrollable. By bailing out you introduce a whole new set of emergency variables... JB

From: "Roger Kemp" <f16viperdoc(at)me.com (f16viperdoc(at)me.com)>
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 8:08:55 PM
Subject: Re: Gear up or down....forced landing

After watching this conversation for awhile one question; when do you decide to take the silk let down? So the engine quits on this brick with the glide ratio of a rock while you have enough altitude to pick a site for an off field landing but not enough to make the airport you are basically saying you are going to try save the aircraft. If that is so then why are you wearing a chute? Not me, all my past training says give the aircraft back to the tax payers in pieces if necessary but save your roses pink. Postal is right from the moment that the brick strapped to my becomes an unpowered unsalvagable rock the canopy is going back and Iā€™m giving this one back to Cannon.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 20, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Byron Fox <byronmfox(at)gmail.com (byronmfox(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
The best advice Iā€™ve received came from ā€œPostal.ā€
ā€œWhen the engine quits, you no longer own the aircraft. It belongs to the insurance company.ā€

Therefore, save your butt and let the airplane be a crash cage. Canopy open ( and hope it stays open), straps tight, helmet visor down, gear up, fuel off, and, in the immortal words of Bob Hoover, fly the airplane all the way into the crash.

Finally, learn about flying the ā€œhigh and low keyā€ forced landing pattern taught by the military.

Blitz Fox 415-307-2405

On Nov 20, 2017, at 9:56 AM, JON <jblake207(at)comcast.net (jblake207(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Oops... should read I'm most likely going to land FLAP down a flap down, gear up and canopy full open landing.

From: "JON" <jblake207(at)comcast.net (jblake207(at)comcast.net)>
To: "Yak-List" <yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 11:48:42 AM
Subject: Re: Gear up or down....forced landing

First, I agree with you on the gear staying up on off-field landings especially with an uncertain surface condition. We have thousands of peanut, soybean and cotton patches here in "LA" (Lower Alabama) that are normally hard enough that they might support a gear down landing, but that depends on the recent rains, famer activity, etc. In other words, I'm most likely going to down a flap down, gear up and canopy full open landing. I know from experience the flap on the CJ will support the airframe in such a case, but that was to a hard runway, so to an unimproved field the flap down is still an unknown.

Next, as for landing on a road, here's my .02 on that... as a former helicopter driver, we were taught that "All road have wires!" so always keep that in your mind should you chose to make a road landing. I'm certain you've thought about the flow of traffic... I was taught to land with traffic regardless of winds since landing against traffic is a head-on waiting to happen because drivers aren't looking up nor expecting a windshield full of airplane. Landing with traffic at least gives you an opportunity to merge...sort of anyway. Other things to consider about road landings are signs and mail boxes. A friend had an engine issue in his YAK and had to put it down on a road. Perfect landing and the roll out was going great until the wingtip caught a mailbox that was cemented into the ground.  That spun the airplane around and ended up in the ditch. Fortunately no personal injury, but the airplane was hurt... but at that point who cares, right?

I agree with you on shutting down the engine, but my only hesitation would be length of runway. Once you shut the engine down and you are a glider, you are landing, so if you over shoot, which is very likely to happen or you are carrying too much energy, there is no option to go around and try again.

To close, I suppose I would worry much less about the damage to the airplane, assuming you are insured, than about bodily injury.

JB

From: "HawkerPilot2015" <timsmiscaz(at)gmail.com (timsmiscaz(at)gmail.com)>
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 10:47:22 AM
Subject: Gear up or down....forced landing

--> Yak-List message posted by: "HawkerPilot2015" <timsmiscaz(at)gmail.com (timsmiscaz(at)gmail.com)>

I hear of people landing gear down during a rough field landing. I am curious what the collective thinks about such a procedure. To me, if I were forced to land in a field or other "softer" than normal terrain, I would choose gear up to prevent the airplane flipping over or cartwheeling. Now, if it were hard packed desert like we have here in AZ and long enough to land on, my choice may be different. Obviously roads are just unmarked runways!

While I have your attention, lets talk about not being able to get the gear down. Plenty of videos showing failed gear landings where the engine/s are still swinging the prop/s. Again, for me, once I KNOW I have the runway made with a gear up landing, I am shutting down the engine/s. No reason to completely destroy one or two good motors because of a gear issue. What are running engine/s doing for you as skid down the runway?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=475310#475310

&nbs=================

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: