Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Air tanks Reply with quote

We have been trying to discover the root cause of many of you reporting that you are getting a very short life (some less than a year) out of the QSF-2A and the 12-5522-00 valves used in the CJ6, which are the same as the 3 and 5 port valves used in the Yaks.

Recently a customer who was upgrading to our new CJ6 stainless steel main and emergency air tanks reported that when he removed his stock steel Chinese tanks he found about a cup of water in each tank.  His tanks were also very rusty.  He remarked that he has been religiously maintaining his stainless desiccant filter on a 8 hour basis, and while the color of the desiccant had changed the filters had not been found to be  wet at any time.   This would tend to make me believe that the water in the tanks was there BEFORE the stainless filter was installed.  As we all know there are only two things which "kill" these valves;  water and grit.  Water rusts the steel plate, grit abrades it, and in a short time it is leaking.    I am guessing that the rust particles and or water from his tanks is what has been damaging his valves.
We are now testing a "final filter" which is a very small filter which connects directly to the 3 or 5 port valves "air in" port.  Dee Grimm has agreed to install one in his aircraft in tandem with the installation of a new QDF-2A.  This filter should remove any rust particles and grit from the system before it has a chance to enter the valves, but before it will be 100% effective the air tanks should be drained and checked for water because this is NOT a desiccant filter and will not remove moisture.
We are recommending that both air tanks be drained at the annual Conditional inspection.  We will include a drain plug crush seal in our conditional kits in the future.

Please note that our office will be closed Feb 23rd through the 3rd.  It's 0F here and it's time for a sun break!!

Best to all,
Doug and Kathleen.

Quote:

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#m_732997041554787883_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Looigi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tanks Reply with quote

Here in New Zealand while we don't have the freedom that you guys in Trumpville have, occasionally our Civil Aviation Authority comes out with some gems of sensibility and wisdom.

It is an AD here to remove and drain our air tanks every 50 hours. Every year we must also clean out the inside "with a suitable method". I usually slosh a hals a litre or so of methylated spirits around inside them leave them to drain and dry while I do the rest of the annual.

Last time I did this job I was grumping at the stupidity of having to do all that work to drain the few drops of water out of my tanks, but after reading Doug's post I think I have changed my mind.

Chris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tanks Reply with quote

Really....Trumpville? Keep the politics out of these discussions. Damn.

Looigi wrote:
Here in New Zealand while we don't have the freedom that you guys in Trumpville have, occasionally our Civil Aviation Authority comes out with some gems of sensibility and wisdom.

It is an AD here to remove and drain our air tanks every 50 hours. Every year we must also clean out the inside "with a suitable method". I usually slosh a hals a litre or so of methylated spirits around inside them leave them to drain and dry while I do the rest of the annual.

Last time I did this job I was grumping at the stupidity of having to do all that work to drain the few drops of water out of my tanks, but after reading Doug's post I think I have changed my mind.

Chris

Dawg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Air tanks Reply with quote

I like it.

Quote:
On Feb 21, 2018, at 19:50, HawkerPilot2015 <timsmiscaz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Really....Trumpville? Keep the politics of these discussions. Damn.

Looigi wrote:
> Here in New Zealand while we don't have the freedom that you guys in Trumpville have, occasionally our Civil Aviation Authority comes out with some gems of sensibility and wisdom.
>
> It is an AD here to remove and drain our air tanks every 50 hours. Every year we must also clean out the inside "with a suitable method". I usually slosh a hals a litre or so of methylated spirits around inside them leave them to drain and dry while I do the rest of the annual.
>
> Last time I did this job I was grumping at the stupidity of having to do all that work to drain the few drops of water out of my tanks, but after reading Doug's post I think I have changed my mind.
>
> Chris

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=478183#478183

jlpartington(at)reagan.co

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Air tanks Reply with quote

your flap actuator is on the way back.

I guess I need two SS main air tanks when you get a chance.

--

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Air tanks Reply with quote

Not at all surprised that you do.

--

Looigi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tanks Reply with quote

Appologies. I wasn't trying to make a political statement, merely a humorous one.

HawkerPilot2015 wrote:
Really....Trumpville? Keep the politics out of these discussions. Damn.

Looigi wrote:

Chris

Dawg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Air tanks Reply with quote

Most normal people get it. No worries mate.
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2018, at 15:59, Looigi <cdoburton(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Appologies. I wasn't trying to make a political statement, merely a humorous one.

HawkerPilot2015 wrote:
> Really....Trumpville? Keep the politics out of these discussions. Damn.
>
>
> Looigi wrote:
>> Here in New Zealand while we don't have the freedom that you guys in Trumpville have, occasionally our Civil Aviation Authority comes out with some gems of sensibility and wisdom.
>>
>> It is an AD here to remove and drain our air tanks every 50 hours. Every year we must also clean out the inside "with a suitable method". I usually slosh a hals a litre or so of methylated spirits around inside them leave them to drain and dry while I do the rest of the annual.
>>
>> Last time I did this job I was grumping at the stupidity of having to do all that work to drain the few drops of water out of my tanks, but after reading Doug's post I think I have changed my mind.
>>
>> Chris
>

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=478201#478201

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Air tanks Reply with quote

No apologies needed because just as soon as the nitwits in one of either party talks of grounding our aircraft, he too will get political here. I sure as hell will. I caught that island humor. Wink

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby
--

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Air tanks Reply with quote

No offense taken Bro.
Don’t know what a safe space is. Trumpville is kinda funny.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Feb 22, 2018, at 4:59 PM, Looigi <cdoburton(at)gmail.com> wrote:

HawkerPilot2015 wrote:
> Really....Trumpville? Keep the politics out of these discussions. Damn.
>
>
> Looigi wrote:
>> Here in New Zealand while we don't have the freedom that you guys in Trumpville have, occasionally our Civil Aviation Authority comes out with some gems of sensibility and wisdom.
>>
>> It is an AD here to remove and drain our air tanks every 50 hours. Every year we must also clean out the inside "with a suitable method". I usually slosh a hals a litre or so of methylated spirits around inside them leave them to drain and dry while I do the rest of the annual.
>>
>> Last time I did this job I was grumping at the stupidity of having to do all that work to drain the few drops of water out of my tanks, but after reading Doug's post I think I have changed my mind.
>>
>> Chris
>

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=478201#478201

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: