Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flight video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Well nobody is doing anything so here goes: This is a copy of the blog that I write for friends. My wife passed away the end of Jan this year, and today was her birthday.

I bought my plane on Karen's birthday in 1997. I was 54 and right in the middle of "Manopause". This isn't the one where you get the night sweats, no its much worse. This is the one when a man realizes that nothing works anymore, you are well past the best you could ever be, and the general time of life when a man either gets a girl friend, and eventually a divorce or they start molesting kids. Neither had any draw for me. I started thinking about what I would regret the most when I was sitting in my rocker at the old welders home, drooling down my chin and flashing the nurses.
There were only two regrets that I could think of, since I had done just about every thing else that I wanted. One was to learn to fly, the other entailed an act best kept secret involving Sofia Loren. Flying seemed the most likely to succeed.
So I began to look around and found just what I needed, A Kolb Firestar II. I assure you it was a coincidence of the utmost surprise to find that I had bought it on Karen's birthday, but all in all I considered it a fair trade, since she neither had to bail me out of jail or share me with a mistress.
I haven't flown since early October of last year, and the weather has been so shitty that flying was out of the question. Today, her birthday, however was cool but with no wind. First time in almost two months. As you can imagine I have been rattling around this place like a rock in a tin can, with lots of time and nothing much I am interested in doing.
I was out in the shop repairing the shroud on a carpet cleaner, when I decided to burn some of the boxes that I have been accumulating. I opened the hangar doors and was surprised to see that it was still nice. So I pulled the plane out thinking that I would just fire it up and get it warmed up a bit. One thing lead to another and the first thing you know I was getting dressed to fly.
I did a bunch of touch and goes until I was sure that the engine was going to keep running and I got a bit better, so I went over to the ranch and eventually landed in front of their house. Listen closely to Elsie when she comes to the plane.
https://vimeo.com/258896917    There is no password required for this one. 
Larry

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Radegast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Larry,
I always appreciate watching your videos.  One of these days I'll get my Twinstar in the air and who knows.  I might buzz up your way.
Wayne

On 3/6/2018 8:03 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:
Well nobody is doing anything so here goes: This is a copy of the blog that I write for friends. My wife passed away the end of Jan this year, and today was her birthday.

I bought my plane on Karen's birthday in 1997. I was 54 and right in the middle of "Manopause". This isn't the one where you get the night sweats, no its much worse. This is the one when a man realizes that nothing works anymore, you are well past the best you could ever be, and the general time of life when a man either gets a girl friend, and eventually a divorce or they start molesting kids. Neither had any draw for me. I started thinking about what I would regret the most when I was sitting in my rocker at the old welders home, drooling down my chin and flashing the nurses.

There were only two regrets that I could think of, since I had done just about every thing else that I wanted. One was to learn to fly, the other entailed an act best kept secret involving Sofia Loren. Flying seemed the most likely to succeed.

So I began to look around and found just what I needed, A Kolb Firestar II. I assure you it was a coincidence of the utmost surprise to find that I had bought it on Karen's birthday, but all in all I considered it a fair trade, since she neither had to bail me out of jail or share me with a mistress.

I haven't flown since early October of last year, and the weather has been so shitty that flying was out of the question. Today, her birthday, however was cool but with no wind. First time in almost two months. As you can imagine I have been rattling around this place like a rock in a tin can, with lots of time and nothing much I am interested in doing.

I was out in the shop repairing the shroud on a carpet cleaner, when I decided to burn some of the boxes that I have been accumulating. I opened the hangar doors and was surprised to see that it was still nice. So I pulled the plane out thinking that I would just fire it up and get it warmed up a bit. One thing lead to another and the first thing you know I was getting dressed to fly.

I did a bunch of touch and goes until I was sure that the engine was going to keep running and I got a bit better, so I went over to the ranch and eventually landed in front of their house. Listen closely to Elsie when she comes to the plane.

Larry

--

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Come on up. The fly-in is the 8th of Sept.Larry
On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 8:29 PM, Wayne Schneider <jwaynes(at)gmail.com (jwaynes(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Larry,
I always appreciate watching your videos.  One of these days I'll get my Twinstar in the air and who knows.  I might buzz up your way.
Wayne

Quote:

Larry

--

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Enjoyed the video very much.  It takes me across the continent to my other home.

I didn't learn to fly until I was 29, and I thought I was a late bloomer.  Wink

Glad you got that little airplane and learned to fly, Larry C.  If you hadn't, we would have never crossed paths.  There's a whole lot of friends I would never have met if it hadn't been for my little airplane.

Been a great ride.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Wayne Schneider
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 9:29 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: flight video

Larry,
I always appreciate watching your videos. One of these days I'll get my Twinstar in the air and who knows. I might buzz up your way.
Wayne

Quote:

https://vimeo.com/258896917 There is no password required for this one.

Larry

--

Titus, Alabama
rmaccrone(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

That was GREAT!  Condolences on your loss Sir.
Rick

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Cottrell
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 9:37 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: flight video

Come on up. The fly-in is the 8th of Sept.
Larry

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 8:29 PM, Wayne Schneider <jwaynes(at)gmail.com (jwaynes(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Larry,
I always appreciate watching your videos. One of these days I'll get my Twinstar in the air and who knows. I might buzz up your way.
Wayne

Quote:

https://vimeo.com/258896917 There is no password required for this one.

Larry

--

--

lambdinwilliam(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Larry,

I am sorry for your loss. Time will help, and I know you are thankful that you are

able to escape into the world of flight-an escape that only a few have.

Enjoyed the video and especially how the kids received you and your aircraft

west1m

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: flight video Reply with quote

Larry,

I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully your love of flying can help ease the pain.
I really enjoyed the "Blog" and the movie makes me want to get out and fly but it is 15 degrees and snow white here and I haven't seen my plane since Oct either...

russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Larry, just learned about your loss. And just watched your video. Tain’t easy, as you of course know.I lost my wife 10yrs ago, after 52 years together. You never get over it, but you will get used to it.
I sold my Xtra last year, but we ALL appreciate your input to the List and your helpful comments
You’re a good friend and an inspiration to all Kolbers. Doubt we ever meet, but I - and all of us! —
hold you -- in high regard and are thankful to “know” you.
If you’re ever daft enough to come to Maine (make it autumn!) pls look me up.
Fair winds,
Russ Kinne

Quote:
On Mar 7, 2018, at 11:00 AM, west1m <west1m(at)hotmail.com (west1m(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "west1m" <west1m(at)hotmail.com (west1m(at)hotmail.com)>Larry, I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully your love of flying can help ease the pain. I really enjoyed the "Blog" and the movie makes me want to get out and fly but it is 15 degrees and snow white here and I haven't seen my plane since Oct either...--------West1mHastings, MNRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=478461#478461

lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you.
Larry

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Russ Kinne <russk50(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] Larry, just learned about your loss. And just watched your video. Tain’t
easy, as you of course know.
I lost my wife 10yrs ago, after 52 years together. You never get over it,
but you *will* get used to it.
I sold my Xtra last year, but we ALL appreciate your input to the List and
your helpful comments
You’re a good friend and an inspiration to all Kolbers. Doubt we ever
meet, but I - and all of us! —
hold you -- in high regard and are thankful to “know” you

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Larry- we were in the process of moving, so I just heard about your loss. Please accept my most sincere condolences. A very nice video.

Bill Sullivan
--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 3/6/18, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: flight video
To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 11:03 PM

Well nobody is doing
anything so here goes: This is a copy of the blog that I
write for friends. My wife passed away the end of Jan this
year, and today was her birthday.

I
bought my plane on Karen's birthday in 1997. I was 54
and right in the middle of "Manopause". This
isn't the one where you get the night sweats, no its
much worse. This is the one when a man realizes that nothing
works anymore, you are well past the best you could ever be,
and the general time of life when a man either gets a girl
friend, and eventually a divorce or they start molesting
kids. Neither had any draw for me. I started thinking about
what I would regret the most when I was sitting in my rocker
at the old welders home, drooling down my chin and flashing
the nurses.
There
were only two regrets that I could think of, since I had
done just about every thing else that I wanted. One was to
learn to fly, the other entailed an act best kept secret
involving Sofia Loren. Flying seemed the most likely to
succeed.
So
I began to look around and found just what I needed, A Kolb
Firestar II. I assure you it was a coincidence of the utmost
surprise to find that I had bought it on Karen's
birthday, but all in all I considered it a fair trade, since
she neither had to bail me out of jail or share me with a
mistress.
I
haven't flown since early October of last year, and the
weather has been so shitty that flying was out of the
question. Today, her birthday, however was cool but with no
wind. First time in almost two months. As you can imagine I
have been rattling around this place like a rock in a tin
can, with lots of time and nothing much I am interested in
doing.
I
was out in the shop repairing the shroud on a carpet
cleaner, when I decided to burn some of the boxes that I
have been accumulating. I opened the hangar doors and was
surprised to see that it was still nice. So I pulled the
plane out thinking that I would just fire it up and get it
warmed up a bit. One thing lead to another and the first
thing you know I was getting dressed to fly.
I
did a bunch of touch and goes until I was sure that the
engine was going to keep running and I got a bit better, so
I went over to the ranch and eventually landed in front of
their house. Listen closely to Elsie when she comes to the
plane.
https://vimeo.com/258896917 
  There is no password required for this one. 
Larry

--
The
older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are
intolerant of others.
If you forward this email, or any part of
it, please remove my email address before sending.

lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: flight video Reply with quote

Thank you very much.Larry
On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 11:40 AM, william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)>

Larry- we were in the process of moving, so I just heard about your loss.  Please accept my most sincere condolences.  A very nice video.

Bill Sullivan

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 3/6/18, Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com (lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Subject: flight video
 To: "kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)" <kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)>
 Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 11:03 PM

Well nobody is doing
 anything so here goes: This is a copy of the blog that I
 write for friends. My wife passed away the end of Jan this
 year, and today was her birthday.

I
 bought my plane on Karen's birthday in 1997. I was 54
 and right in the middle of "Manopause". This
 isn't the one where you get the night sweats, no its
 much worse. This is the one when a man realizes that nothing
 works anymore, you are well past the best you could ever be,
 and the general time of life when a man either gets a girl
 friend, and eventually a divorce or they start molesting
 kids. Neither had any draw for me. I started thinking about
 what I would regret the most when I was sitting in my rocker
 at the old welders home, drooling down my chin and flashing
 the nurses.
 There
 were only two regrets that I could think of, since I had
 done just about every thing else that I wanted. One was to
 learn to fly, the other entailed an act best kept secret
 involving Sofia Loren. Flying seemed the most likely to
 succeed.
 So
 I began to look around and found just what I needed, A Kolb
 Firestar II. I assure you it was a coincidence of the utmost
 surprise to find that I had bought it on Karen's
 birthday, but all in all I considered it a fair trade, since
 she neither had to bail me out of jail or share me with a
 mistress.
 I
 haven't flown since early October of last year, and the
 weather has been so shitty that flying was out of the
 question. Today, her birthday, however was cool but with no
 wind. First time in almost two months. As you can imagine I
 have been rattling around this place like a rock in a tin
 can, with lots of time and nothing much I am interested in
 doing.
 I
 was out in the shop repairing the shroud on a carpet
 cleaner, when I decided to burn some of the boxes that I
 have been accumulating. I opened the hangar doors and was
 surprised to see that it was still nice. So I pulled the
 plane out thinking that I would just fire it up and get it
 warmed up a bit. One thing lead to another and the first
 thing you know I was getting dressed to fly.
 I
 did a bunch of touch and goes until I was sure that the
 engine was going to keep running and I got a bit better, so
 I went over to the ranch and eventually landed in front of
 their house. Listen closely to Elsie when she comes to the
 plane.
 https://vimeo.com/258896917 
   There is no password required for this one. 
 Larry

--
 The
 older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are
 intolerant of others.
 If you forward this email, or any part of
 it, please remove my email address before sending.

====================================
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: