Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ethanol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny shepherd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: ethanol Reply with quote

Hi All,
 A few years ago I bought a Ethanol testing kit. It consisted of a couple of small bottles and what looked like blue coloured cotton buds. I'm now down to my last couple of testing sticks, does any one know where I can get some more. I have tried all the usual aviation sites, but with no luck. I have looked through my old invoices but can't find them. Maybe the don't produce them any more Sad .
Cheers Danny. G-c.e.r.i

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
hanaperrod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol Reply with quote

Hi Danny.
Sounds like you had a test kit originally supplied by Airworld. ( now closed )
I use a kit supplied by Frost automotive supply company. www.frost.co.uk
E-test kit. It has a blue dye to add to the petrol/water mix that helps identify
the ethanol %.I check out all fuel purchased GULF petrol here on the I o W.
at the moment has no ethanol. Hope this helps.
Rod.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

danny shepherd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: ethanol Reply with quote

thanks Rod I'll have a look.
Cheers Danny.

On 07/03/2018 08:43, hanaperrod wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "hanaperrod" <gilrod(at)tiscali.co.uk> (gilrod(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Hi Danny.
Sounds like you had a test kit originally supplied by Airworld. ( now closed )
I use a kit supplied by Frost automotive supply company. www.frost.co.uk
E-test kit. It has a blue dye to add to the petrol/water mix that helps identify
the ethanol %.I check out all fuel purchased GULF petrol here on the I o W.
at the moment has no ethanol. Hope this helps.
Rod.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=478443#478443

clivesutton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol Reply with quote

Hello Danny,

I have 24 of those cotton buds left from a 303381 fuel testing kit i brought from Airworld a few years ago. You are welcome to some if you can send me your address. Not sure if they have deteriorated with time (though they have been dry-stored in a sealed plastic bag).

In my view Bob Hitchcock's bottle mentioned as in a previous post (the function of which incidentally is replicated on most of those fuel-drain/screwdriver things us Aviators all buy during training) is probably the neatest solution - since it involves only mixing a small qty of fuel with a carefully measured sample of water and noting the change in relative levels due to mixing of part of the water sample with any alcohol (ethanol) existing in the fuel - an approach which also avoids buying and managing other test-related supplies.

Further, the bottle method should enable the amount of ethanol in the fuel to be determined and then compared to the acceptable percentage. I think the dye methods only indicates IF there is ethanol in the fuel, not how much.

Regards,
Clive

Last edited by clivesutton on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
JonSmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol Reply with quote

Hi, I used to use the Airworld blue buds too which worked fine but not available now. Instead I use a droplet of food colouring in a small sample of fuel in a glass jar. If there is no ethanol the droplet stays completely separate, if there is ethanol the droplet dissolves and discolours the whole sample.

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: ethanol Reply with quote

Hi! All.
I checked on the Frost site and spoke to a very helpful gent who explained
that their additive was meant to only protect against corrosion and needed
adding to all your fuel each bottle is sufficient for adding to 250 litres
of fuel !
However he kindly recommended me to an American site who produce a small kit
container which allows you to take a small sample from the water drain point
on the aircraft and if Ethanol is present it changes colour to blue (that is
the whole sample) . But it was expensive at about $ 35 per unit ! I paid by
Pay Pal and the final bill including postage and packaging finalised at
approx $70 , so I was scammed yet again !
Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing ( bastards) sorry but no other name in
my vocabulary .
So I can test a small amount from each fill up but need to effect similar
checks if I land away.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-OTAG

--

Hitchflight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: ethanol Reply with quote

Hi Bob

Recommend the Briggs and Stratton. Simple low cost and effective. Small enough to be carried around.

One UK to two UK pounds. A sensible and cheap solution! And it is reusable!

If your local Lawn mower sales place does not stock the tool. Then private message me and I will provide you with the solution. Have one spare tester.

Regards

Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: